1500s Pirate Treasure?

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Re: 1500's Pirate Treasure?

Some of the gold pieces look "too refined", the edging is too sharp, and there is a definite flattening of headgear etc to make these look like modern day handcraft pieces moreso than original work I've seen in museums.

Maybe after the Spanish came they learned better techniques :dontknow:

I still think the gold is "too bright" to be typical.

itmaiden

aquanut said:
Thanks for all the responses. I received these pictures by e-mail from somebody I don't know, but apparently knows me. I emailed some questions to him but as yet haven't received a reply.
Aquanut

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

cuzcosquirrel said:
You can sometimes score statues like that off of ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Tumbaga is an alloy with some gold in it, but mostly copper. The surface is treated a couple of ways to bring out a thin smooth layer of rich looking gold.

cuzcosquirral, Find some for a few hundred bucks for me. I'll buy them all. The same with the ax head and knife.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

You know, I think we all just found a good reason to have archies around...so we know the originals from the fakes. Yes, some archies may have been involved in reproduced antiquities, and some museums have "fakes" they have purchased by ignorance, but wait a minute...who am I kidding? Most archie stuff just goes in boxes doesn't it ? Thinking about it, a lot of museum pieces come from private collections (all found on the beach of course) :wink:

I don't buy Native American artifacts etc. If I don't find it myself, I don't want it. It somehow loses it's spiritual essence if I don't connect to it personally. (I do make exceptions for Spanish Treasure ;D )

itmaiden

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

My experience with Aquanut doesn't suggest that he is a sucker for crazy stories. I suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye, and may be related to one of his earlier threads/postings.

Mariner

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

Aquanut is open but cautious. He likes to make sure of his facts before acting. He knows to save his time and energy and not to chase falling stars and rainbows.

I have recently read various articles, accounts, etc on a couple of "treasure lores", to include the Ubilla Cache off of Chili, and on an Incan stash of 750 tons of gold, gems, artifacts. People hoping to gain treasure spend a lot of money and time going after something before they have done adequate research, or check around, and before they have any possible indicative proof that what they are seeking exists, and where specifically it is located if it does.

Being a land hunter who searches for underwater wrecks, and who doesn't dive, it can be hard to verify certain sites. Last night I was looking at a couple of possible ships, (would be 1500's-1600's), but there just isn't enough data available to make a clear judgement. It would require a diver to go down and verify they are what they appear to be. It is nice to have enough money to hire the professionals one needs to make everything work. Mel Fisher learned the value of "many advisors" a long time ago.

itmaiden

mariner said:
My experience with Aquanut doesn't suggest that he is a sucker for crazy stories. I suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye, and may be related to one of his earlier threads/postings.

Mariner

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

I appreciate the votes of confidence, however, in this instance there is no great mystery. This whole thread is simply a search for some enlightenment. I've been given a little more information and so far the only further light I can shed on the artifacts is that they were discovered on a shipwreck in the Caribbean and the cannon was suspected as being of English origin. No one is trying to sell anything, nor is there any intention to do so in the future. I think the finder just wants to know what he has.
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the items appear to be a short heavy type cannon and define inca or mayan empire type figurines (or modern copies of them) to me.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

Ivan,
Since the figures came off a shipwreck, I doubt they're modern copies.
Aquanut

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

I don't know Aquanut, the pictures looked awful familiar to me. Would be easy to pair some gold with some Indian artifacts to give it a look of authenticity. Maybe I am wrong to be suspicious, but that photo is just too familiar.

itmaiden

aquanut said:
Ivan,
Since the figures came off a shipwreck, I doubt they're modern copies.
Aquanut

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

Similar pieces...

Attachments

• Costa Rican Gold.jpg
    Costa Rican Gold.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 1,517
OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

Itmaiden,
I personally haven't seen these particular pieces before. I've spent the last 16 years researching Pre-Colombian Gold artifacts and am fairly well acquainted with what has surfaced. I would be interested if you could recall where you might have seen these pieces before.
Aquanut

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

I thought it had been a news item on the Internet perhaps as the photo looked so familiar with I first saw it, so I was suspicious (maybe wrongfully so), so I have been doing some photo searches to see if it shows up anywhere, but have not found anything. Not unless I saw it in a magazine. I do enjoy visiting museums, but I do not believe this to have been in any museum I've been.

itmaiden

aquanut said:
Itmaiden,
I personally haven't seen these particular pieces before. I've spent the last 16 years researching Pre-Colombian Gold artifacts and am fairly well acquainted with what has surfaced. I would be interested if you could recall where you might have seen these pieces before.
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

if these items were got from off a old shipwreck then their lots of reasons to be very excited indeed.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

Yes Ivan,
Not only are they enormously interesting and historically valuable, they are worth an astounding amount of money, particularly, as the artifacts are from a shipwreck and their provenance can be proven. A non-refundable item to the country of origin. Now, speaking for myself, being rich and in need of a tax deduction, I would certainly donate a find like this to the museum in the country of origin. I understand the Museo de Oro in Colombia only has a meager 30,000 examples of these. I really think thy could squeeze in three more. Don't you?
Aquanut

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good morning Mr Aquanut SIR: Hmm, rich, and need a tax deduction? You have come to the right person SIR. interested in a slightly used Jesuit Gold mine?? Guarenteed plenty of deductions. snicker

After all, there are tons of used Incan junk trinkets around, prob. worn by an Incan with Tuberculosis or another horrible, easily transmitted, uncurable desease, but genuine Jesuit mines? I'll even write up the letter of authenticity myself as a personal favor.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Aquanut:
Since your original post about 5-6 weeks ago, has your source given you anything further that
might be of use to us in helping him; like more pics and descriptions of this and other artifacts
recovered from the same site??
Don.......

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

Hey Don, I see you have the same interest I do. We must ensure our endeavours include the taxman. I would love to have that letter of authenticity. It would make me feel warm and fuzzy and also keep the taxman off my back by being able to show him that my expenses are legitimate!

BTW, I'm no expert, but my gut tells me those little gold trinkets are from either Costa Rica/Panama/Colombia. I've seen similar stuff originating there. However, I'm open to anyone else's opinion.

Also, Those pics were the only ones taken. They were taken at his friends house off an island in the Caribbean by the person who requested this post. He was permitted to dive the site briefly and really doesn't have anything further to add at this point in time. I wish this could be more open, but it's apparently too sensitive, so "we'll have to go with what we brung."
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions