Questions on E110 site

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1) There is no E110 anymore. I believe the new lease number assigned by the state of Florida is now E132.
2) E132 is an exploration lease held by Historical Research & Development Inc.
3) HRD is not open to subcontracting the site.
4) It may be a new 1715 wreck, possibly the La Popa, or it may be part of the trail from Rio Mar.

Tom

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom, if its identified as one of the 1715 fleet wrecks, do the Fishers get a piece of it?

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Yes, as their archaeologist from 1999 until 2009 I probably have dove on the site more than anyone else in the past 10 years and wrote all their reports. I wrote a book entitled "The Treasure Fleet of 1715" that was published in 2005 and updated and reprinted in 2008. See www.sunkentreasurebooks.com

In interviewing John Brandon and others, I am convinced that it is NOT part of Rio Mar, too far north of Rio Mar and the cannons on TSFKAE110 (The site formerly known as E-110) are smaller guns and more in line with a vessel similar in size to the Nieves.

The amount of cultural material found on the site is substantial. I also have a bunch of information from a guy who dove the ballast pile in 1968. Like Tom, I am still an HRD stockholder and try to help them out whenever I am in town, but also like Tom, I have moved onto other things. Last week I was on an ROV investigation of a shipwreck in 5,600 feet of water. I believe HRD has a "new" wreck site and wish them nothing but success.

And as far as the Fisher's HRD's site is it's own entity. They only have Admiralty Claims on the existing sites, Douglas Beach, Cabin Wreck, Rio Mar, Corrigans etc. They do NOT have a lease on the Wedge Wreck which is a State Underwater Archaeological Preserve and they do no have title to new wrecks found by other companies such as HRD, Heartland Salvage (Rex Stocker) and Tiger Shores (Dave Jordan) If any of these companies finds a "new" 1715 wreck in their exploration areas, that is for them and the state.

PM me if you've got anymore questions.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, as their archaeologist from 1999 until 2009 I probably have dove on the site more than anyone else in the past 10 years and wrote all their reports.

I disagree with this. :wink: I worked many days on the E110/E132 sites starting in 1998. For two years I was the only person working those sites-which saved HRD from losing their permit. I also did the archaeological reports in 1998 and 1999 for E110, E-132 and E138.

And don't forget all the illegals dives by Pirate Bill.

Good to hear from you again Rob. Still eagerly awaiting your book.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Hey Tom:

That's too funny...I forgot to include all Bill's dives aboard the Midnight Express!

Still my favorite dive was when Skip found the "stern castle" When he told me where it was, I know he was talking about that old barge...but he was convinced he had found the stern castle. We walked down the beach, and went to a point exactly opposite the barge. Still he wouldn't listen. He stripped down to the buff and swam out to the "stern castle" with only mask on. The water was cold and he kept jumping up and down trying not to get HIS family jewels wet. Finally a wave broke over him entirely. Came up a few minutes later and asked me "if they knew how to weld in 1715?" I WAS the rustly old barge just like I told him! Then two ladies came walking down the beach, he tipped his mask like a cowboy hat and said "good afternoon ladies" Funniest thing I ever saw...Darn lucky he didn't slip and cut off his jewels on that rusty old hunk of junk.

That story will have to be in another book.

Right next to the story about that one stockholder in the Keys that turned the airlist around to unplug a chunk of rock and when the aitr started flowing again suck his false teeth right out of his mouth. Needless to say, they didn't survive the trip to the discharge end intact.

As for mu Shipwreck Direstory, after talking to Mark Barnette, I think a print on demand might be the best way to go since I don't want to have to store inventory and that might be the best way to get it out with mimimal out of pocket expenses.

Hey call me later, I'll have to tell you about this wreck I was looking at.

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midnight Express!!!!must have been a small boat launched from the beach.Diverlynn is mailing the report to me,soon as I receive it i'll have copy on the way to you.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No boat. Just a boy and his (underwater) scooter!

OP
OP
C

Capt Rodney

Feb 9, 2010
Iam back again been working .Why does it have a new number.Also why can 't it be from the north .We know they were futher north and some 1715 wrecks have north and offshore trails this I know for a fact .

OP
OP
C

Capt Rodney

Feb 9, 2010
Madforwrecks you have asked about some of my finds to the north of rio mar and offshore [e 132] with the lack of work on the site why no intrest in subcontract . I have info that might help .I Worked for that group before they became HRD .And for a few years after I was responsable for nearly all the major finds for them .I would just like a shot at working the site .

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Unfortunately Mo was hard up for cash and sold his HRD stock last year and is no longer part of the company. Even Ernie Kling has stepped aside from the day to day management of the company. The last time I talked to him, he told me everything pertaining to the operation needs to be run through Skip. I have his number or you can probably get it from Greg Bounds, as he did some magging for them last year.

OP
OP
C

Capt Rodney

Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone. Iam near ready 6 weeks or so.But that means both dig boats and the mag boat.I will need more divers. I don't have enough crew as of yet.I have Skips number as well as Mo's but what i'am after is two fold. Is there a problem for HRD to go futher in permiting.Also beside Mr Bills info which is golden on pun intended. I need some REAL info to procede on both issues.I don't mind if it's not all consuming.

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
I have been working with HRD on this site for a couple seasons now... We have surveyed near 500 linear miles and have 1000's of targets. We have another season or two before we complete the survey because their area is so large but i plan on diving alot of the targets this season....... We are very close to a salvage permit!

OP
OP
C

Capt Rodney

Feb 9, 2010
Skimmer first I mean Bill E next E132 is not smoke or fire but a full 4 alarm blaze just waiting. My question about HRDs status was since they have had search lease for so long is it them or the state with the issues .GOHO glad to hear your involved .I would like to see about getting a shot at it myself .The season in vero is so short I believe with my help we could be sucsessful sooner than later .Anyway it is only one of many spots I plan on searching in that general area .Since I have been lucky at finding treasure when other people laughed and said I was way off and to far out of line .Everyone is now familar with the offshore and north trails on many of the 1715 sites .That along with knowing the ships were further north changes alot of peoples minds .Thanks guys I could go on and on so I will stop now .

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
There has got to be a good wreck there, but as of right now only Bill B. Lynn C. and myself are the only people within HRD to have recovered coins from the site. (yes many more have been recovered illegally) All these are now in Tallahassee. They lost their boat in Hurricane Wilma and it was pretty much downhill from there...no boat and no money.

However, bringing Greg Bounds aboard is the best thing they could have done and with his expertise, I am sure there will be many future discoveries.

Best of Luck

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galleon Hunter said:
Hey Tom:

That's too funny...I forgot to include all Bill's dives aboard the Midnight Express!

Still my favorite dive was when Skip found the "stern castle" When he told me where it was, I know he was talking about that old barge...but he was convinced he had found the stern castle. We walked down the beach, and went to a point exactly opposite the barge. Still he wouldn't listen. He stripped down to the buff and swam out to the "stern castle" with only mask on. The water was cold and he kept jumping up and down trying not to get HIS family jewels wet. Finally a wave broke over him entirely. Came up a few minutes later and asked me "if they knew how to weld in 1715?" I WAS the rustly old barge just like I told him! Then two ladies came walking down the beach, he tipped his mask like a cowboy hat and said "good afternoon ladies" Funniest thing I ever saw...Darn lucky he didn't slip and cut off his jewels on that rusty old hunk of junk.

That story will have to be in another book.

Right next to the story about that one stockholder in the Keys that turned the airlist around to unplug a chunk of rock and when the aitr started flowing again suck his false teeth right out of his mouth. Needless to say, they didn't survive the trip to the discharge end intact.

As for mu Shipwreck Direstory, after talking to Mark Barnette, I think a print on demand might be the best way to go since I don't want to have to store inventory and that might be the best way to get it out with mimimal out of pocket expenses.

Hey call me later, I'll have to tell you about this wreck I was looking at.

What barge is this? Is this the old breconshire steamer?

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
The Breconshire is to the south and NOT within HRD's exploration area. The barge is to the north. Here is what I have in my book

1894. British steamer Breconshire, 2,544-tons, Captain Robert Taylor, on a voyage from New York to Tampa, struck a reef about 1,500 feet from shore one mile south of the Bethel Creek Lifesaving Station (present-day Vero Beach) on the night of April 30 and sank in twenty feet of water; all twenty-four crewmen were saved. By morning salvage efforts were underway and almost everything of value was removed from the wreck. The wreck lies just 150 yards offshore between the Ocean Grill Restaurant and Holiday Inn. The steamship’s boiler can still be seen sticking out of the water at low tide. At high tide, the dangerous obstruction lurks just below the surface of the water, waiting for some unsuspecting pleasure craft to venture too close. When the tide is just right, waves strike the boiler shooting a huge water spout into the air. Tourists eating at the Ocean Grill frequently witness this phenomenon but mistakenly think they are seeing water spouts from a large whale. The wreck is a popular site for beach diving and has come to be known as the “Boiler Wreck.” The wreck structure is heavily encrusted. To the north of the boiler lies a large jumbled mass of pipes and plates which represent the top of the engine. About forty feet south of the boiler lie the remains of a large mast with an iron sail-hoop attached at the base. A large anchor lies on the bow deck, it’s shank often protrudes from the surface at low tide. A second anchor can be found seaward and to the north. The close proximity to shore often means poor visibility but on a clam day with clear water, the Breconshire can be one of the most enjoyable dives on Florida’s east coast, offering divers convenient parking, an easy and safe beach entry and a large area to explore, plus the added bonus of a possible lobster dinner. (Note: Originally named the Numida, the 300-foot vessel was built by the Sunderland Ship Building Company in Sunderland, England in 1833. A Guide to Sunken Ships in American Waters lists this vessel as the Beaconshire; Florida Shipwrecks by Daniel and Denise Berg refers to the steamer as the Beconshire; other various sources also give the spelling of steamer’s name as Breaconshire and Breckenshire.) (3,44,47,65,82,131,437,502)

There is also a 75 lb anchor from the Deep Venture lost near the wreck. We dove the site one day and lost our own anchor on the wreckage.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galleon Hunter said:
The Breconshire is to the south and NOT within HRD's exploration area. The barge is to the north. Here is what I have in my book

Yeah, I know where the boiler wreck is, I was wondering about the barge as I've never heard of it. How deep is it? How big? Any fish on it?

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Roughly how far north does the E-132 site extend and are there other active (search or recovery) leases north of it? If not, is anyone openly seeking application with the state? I seem to have had a link with rough coordinates, but can't find it now.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread