maybe a dumb question, but ........

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
I realize that it is illegal to detect the shallow water off shore of the treasure coast unless you have a lease agreement with the Fisher's. On the beach a person can only detect from the dunes down to the low tide line.
My question is... can a person get an agreement to detect the water from the shoreline to a depth of approx. 5 feet. I would use a handheld gps to record and subsequently report any finds and turn everything over as per protocol.
I don't have a boat and I don't dive but I have been metal detecting beaches and swimming holes for close to 30 years. Just thinking that the shallow water just outside the tide-line might hold a cob or two.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
trainermick,
Not all of the water is held by leases. You can contact the state or check old posts here for the specific areas you want to hunt. If it happens to be in a lease held area, contact the leaseholder. Taffi Fisher at the museum in Sebastion would be the first person I would talk to and I suggest you do it face to face. I doubt you'll get anywhere , but see if she'll give you a note to keep in your vehicle. In unleased areas, as far as the state goes, they have a laughable policy/law? that you are to relinquish any finds over 50 years old to them. Do what you will...
Good Luck,
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread