old lead in shipwrecks

Thucydides

Feb 19, 2010
I recently saw a tv show about divers trying to get lead ingots out of a shipwreck. This lead was somehow "depleted" (protons taken away or something of the sort) and was highly valuable in electronics or computers.
What is this lead called? how old does it have to be? what is it worth if you find it? What is it actually used for and why is it valuable?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its called "low alpha lead" and it was made before the nuclear era. This was discussed here last year and FISHEYE has all the info on it.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Fisheye, I've been reading that you are the expert in getting a fair price for low alpha lead. Give me a call, the old number I have for you is not working.

I'd also like to ask Jeff K. how much Odyssey was getting per pound for low alpha lead ? PM with the info, I would appreciate it.

I'd also like to hear from anyone else that has found low alpha lead on a shipwreck and what their experience was in finding a buyer for it, at a fair price.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed... I have no idea if Odyssey ever sold low alpha lead. I don't believe they ever salvaged the lead from the wreck they found off England.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low alpha lead hasnt been used to make any electronics in the past 7 years due to a ban on lead in solder.Now all they used is PB free solder.About all its good for now is fishing weights.I just got off the phone with one of the biggest Manufacturers of low alpha lead, lead alloys, and lead-free alloys for the semiconductor industry.They said they are sitting on 30 tons of it and cant do anything with it.Nor do they want to buy any more nor do they know anyone that needs any.

Maybe you can contact your state people where you are and get them to pay you to salvage the lead due to that its poison for the water and underwater sea life.Then make fishing weights out of it all.

I do have a good friend that knows the president of a major Japanese electronics company,i forwarded him all the info that he needs to ask the pres if they buy the lead or still use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread