Ocean Critters !

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
I think I saw this on the Flying Dutchman, er, ah maybe it was after that last Tequila Sunrise.

Attachments

• ATT00003.jpg
    ATT00003.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,054
  • ATT00006.jpg
    ATT00006.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,081

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
itmaiden said:
Fox News had an interesting slide show on unusual Ocean Critters. What unusual critters do you run across when you dive for shipwrecks ? Do any of the critters seem to have an affinity for treasure ? Or maybe, for pestering divers ?

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2009/11/23/deep-sea-oddiites-census-marine-life

itmaiden

Never been diving, but I keep marine fish "coral/reef fish" I have kept nudibranches but they have a taste for some corals and each other.
I would imagine the divers get bothered by the clown fish family and the cleaner wrasses and shrimps as they bother anyone who puts their hand in the tanks!! the clowns are territorial and the wrasses and shrimps just like to clean you !!
I dont know about them having an affinity for treasure but I once bought a decorator crab that had a pearl attached to its body, along with coral fragments and muck from the bottom of the tanks.
I also once hatched a banded shark egg in my reef tank, amazing how such a long creature fitted in that little case.
The colours and variety of fish and creatures availiable is simply stuning, amazing. Many of the corals and anenomes carry algae inside their bodies which is why they live mostly in shallow well lit water, they use the algae to feed themselves, it is the algae that makes them glow under actinic lights.
If you keep a reef aquarium just the live rock alone will keep you watching for hours. It is usually full of fan worms and pistol shrimp and all kinds of tiny creatures.
sheesh I could write an essay.

:coffee2:
Gary

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
The more often you dive and the more you learn about the aquatic life in your region the more interesting things you're going to encounter. It's imagine it's the same when you have a fishtank and watch and study the critters you keep. It's amazing.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
up here in lake erie I have a bluegill that loves me, he darts in and gets all the zebra mussels that get crushed while I am moving rocks around. in salt water I love the damsel fish they are very pretty and ferocious while protecting their mates. thankfully they are only a few inches long or I would not be here.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
RDT, it may well have come from the ocean, some species spawn in the oceans and return to rivers. The salmon being the most obvious, but since you mention serpent then maybe the eel is a better example.
In the Amazon many new species are discovered each year alone.
They have discovered a fish that lives in water not much below boiling point, who knows what still is to be discovered.

Gary

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Real de Tayopa said:
If you included rivers, I could tell you about the 80 ft. aquatic serpent that I found myself swimming with. Hmm, on second thought, perhaps he came from the ocean ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa, it is dangerous to mix tequila and diving!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
remember folks surface wize the planet is 3 times as much water as land ---so to start with think of the oddest thing you ever saw on land x 3 --then understand that water has "depth" as wellso there are many levels of "surface " so that 3 times thing is just from scratching the surface layer only --so really it is many many times as much area as land is ---- as a now retired merchant seaman that travelled the "deep blue sea" for 27 years there is stuff out there , I know you simply have to see first hand to believe.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't really dive but I did catch a mantis shrimp around 8 in long, had me wondering what I got til someone IDed it...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a mermaid once,she kept calling to me to come near this reef.She was fugly as hell and had sharp teeth so i passed.

Attachments

• mermaid.jpg
    mermaid.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 834
OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Hey, how do you "unstick" one of those things anyway ?

itmaiden

chipveres said:
You know you have been working too long when you have your own remora (pilotfish)

Chip V.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can remove a remora with salt and meat tenderizer,then use a filet knife,but they are best cooked over a open flame.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: I think I saw some of these in my coffee this morning. :laughing9:

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 792
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Peerless: I seem to be missing my answer post to you ??

That critter looked like an enormous, greenish coastal Eel. Since they have closed off the rivers with Dams, they haven't reappeared ? Obvious conclusions ??

They CLAIM that they only eat fish, not silly explorers, never-the-less, I used skivvy drawers while swimming after that brief encounter.

In the same spot they warned me to be careful of the Metate, blanket fish. It seems that they enjoy coming up under you, wrapping their fins? around you, than dragging you underwater to eat.

Upon investigating stories of supposed witnesses, they were mutually describing a member of the Ray family. They also seemed to have disappeared with closing of the river.

Formerly the river was saturated with Crocodiles and alligators, now very scarce.

Can I troll with Gemee as bait to see if we can capture one?

As for the land thingies, well that is for another site and time.

Don Jose de La Mancha (who is still intact).

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Hi RDT, I did not see a reply, maybe to many tequilas before posting :laughing7:
There are certainly some strange creatures in the world.
Have you ever heard of the candirú fish ?
It follows the scent of urine in water and swims into the penis and locks its fins into the urethra.
There it feeds on the soft tissue, ooowww Painful

Gary

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Ouch ! If that ain't about weird. Guess swimming and peeing in the Amazon is not a good idea.
Here is a wikipedia article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru

itmaiden

Peerless67 said:
Hi RDT, I did not see a reply, maybe to many tequilas before posting :laughing7:
There are certainly some strange creatures in the world.
Have you ever heard of the candirú fish ?
It follows the scent of urine in water and swims into the --deleted-- and locks its fins into the urethra.
There it feeds on the soft tissue, ooowww Painful

Gary

SamTHorn

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wow those are very odd. Do you know where they were found?

Thanks for sharing.

~ Sam

Goldminer said:
I think I saw this on the Flying Dutchman, er, ah maybe it was after that last Tequila Sunrise.
Everyone deserves a fixed annuity rate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread