Charles Kenworthy vs. the CIA and Howard Hughes

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dopers have guns and weapons and can and will shoot at planes --so you best to be able to shoot back , blowing up dope factorys and killing off dope lords is not for the faint of heart -- the CIA boys moved lots of dope into the LA area selling it to the local gangs for cash --according to media reports reportedly * to raise --off the books money for "black ops"-- I'm sure they most likely skimmed a bit off the top of this "unaccountible" money for the extra dirty work they did -- down in south america they might have been just been cleaning up any loose ends that could have talked about who made what deals with who back in the good ole usa .

oh what a tangled web we weave , when we first practice to decieve. -- sir walter scott

but with time we get much much better at it. (the us govt and other govts as well quite often sadly )

as the great wit mark twain once said -- if you do not read the papers --your uninformed -- but if you do often your "misinformed". :wink: ----just going to prove even back then --the powerful controlled the media --you heard the message they wanted you to hear.

another famous quote -- fredric remington--a sketch artiist sent by willaim randolf hearst to cuba to report and submit sketches about the "cuban" independance upraising there against the spanish --upon wiring back that nothing was occuring in cuba as far as a upraising against the spanish was concerned so he requested to return to the usa -- he was told ---"you furnish the pictures --I'll furnish the war"

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why doesnt spain go after them?Also If you have the gps cords,someone go out there and see if they left anything,im sure there something left since they salvaged in such a hurry.

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Sensible idea....the original permit was for 'searching' only,correct ? So just perhaps some stuff WAS overlooked and left behind.....this would be pricey,however. Hummmmmm.....spending all that $$$$$ just to 'know'. Sounds like a project for a recent Lotto winner....

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
Why doesnt spain go after them?Also If you have the gps cords,someone go out there and see if they left anything,im sure there something left since they salvaged in such a hurry.

Spanish can't go after them because since they never admitted to doing anything, the seven year statute of limitations would apply.

After Glomar left, they dove on the site, and from what I have heard, they found nothing but some copper plates? and some other minor artifacts.

You have to remember, Glomar recovered most of a Soviet Submarine from 16,000 feet with their grappling system. I think that in nine days they dragged up most anything from that shallow depth.

Anyone feels like a trip to Catalina I have the lat and long of the search box.

Mike

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
gollum said:
I would guess that if they were being used for drug interdiction, they would have been equipped with cameras and FLIR Equipment. If they were fully armed, they would have been used for combat. Maybe dual usage.

Mike
Interdiction was a PC term used by me . They all had hardpoints for armament attachment still in place . What I got (backchannel) and later reported by SoF was that they flew
combat missions to destroy drug labs in the jungles . Fighting the 'War on Drugs' or covering tracks , I don't know . Was fun haulin them and paid VERY well .... One hell of a rush to 'let out'
my long legged 'Large Car' Kenworth into the tripple digits without fear of jail ;D
Shared breakfast one morning at that single lane airstrip with a gentleman that had piloted for
Air America and another fellow ; Mr Stimson , who seemed to have a working knowledge of helicopters .
Jim

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I think this is interesting. If he researched it, it would seem like he would have the name of the ship. Did he happen to name the ship he was looking for?

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cuzcosquirrel said:
I think this is interesting. If he researched it, it would seem like he would have the name of the ship. Did he happen to name the ship he was looking for?

Not in his filings to the State of California. I have copies of them.

He spent an untold amount of money buying copies of archival documents from Rome, Seville, and Mexico City. I don't think he could have really convinced John Wayne and those few of the highest ranking physicists from Stanford Research Institute (SRI) if he didn't have the name and location of the ship.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I have found out is that he stated the ship was a Manila Galleon that would have sunk in about 1598.

Who has access to the lists?

Mike

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I don't see any losses for 1598.

Closest losses are San Agustin in 1895 at Drake's Bay and San Felipe II in 1596.

This doesn't neccessarily mean one was not lost. The records are somewhat incomplete. There may have been a loss or two in 1600, but I would have to track down these two and see what happened. I think Vizcano in 1602 discussed a nearby wrecked galleon with some indians in the Channel Islands.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can find no documentary evidence regarding name or year of the ship Kenworthy was after. The only thing I have found was a note in a newspaper article that mentioned the ship was supposed to have been sunk in about 1598. I don't have a direct statement from Kenworthy to that effect.

I know there have been several Manila Galleons wrecked and never recovered off of Santa Catalina Island:

1. Santa Marta.............................................1582

2. Capitana..................................................1600

3. Nuestra Senora de Ayuda..........................1641

4. San Sebastian..........................................1754

The Santa Marta was lightly salvaged by the Spanish in 1583 leaving approximately 200 tons of loot.

It could have been any of these in reality. Maybe Kenworthy threw a BS date out there to throw off competition. Maybe the newspaper pulled a date out of their a$$. I don't know. I know where the search box is.

Best-Mike

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take this to the bank, but, somewhere, I have the name of galleon mentioned - but am still searching, but I could swear it was called the San Pedro, or something like that.

B

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
Sure they didn't go to Columbia to fight FARC?

Mike

The company that I work for used the OV-10's in Columbia as spray planes to eradicate the Coca crops. They went out of service about a year and a half ago.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Don't take this to the bank, but, somewhere, I have the name of galleon mentioned - but am still searching, but I could swear it was called the San Pedro, or something like that.

B

Beth,

I'm in the same boat as you, but for some reason, I thought it was the Capitana. Dang, I'm just gonna have to go dig some more.

Wreckdiver,

I'll tell you, jumping out of those things was worse than jumping out of balloons with British Paras. While I read you are supposed to be able to fit six paras in them, we only got four with 100+ pound rucks (including commo, mortar, baseplate, M60 + tripod). You scootch on your butt to that tiny door (I'm 6'4" 275), hook up to the DRing in the floor, and force your way out. I have jumped out of all kinds of aircraft from a lot of different countries, but that was about the worst! HAHAHA

Best-Mike

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

If you are like me, you have information stored here and there - plus, for me, since I have a dead computer, I know there is stuff in that one.

But - Capitana rings a bell, too - but I'm not sure if it was with this Summa Corp and Quest thing, or not. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

I'm going to have to dig deeper, too. (Geesh, I followed it so close, you'd think I'd remember right off hand, but 30+ years = :icon_scratch:)

If my uncle was alive, he'd know in a heartbeat - he did that sunken treasure thing, and he was the reason I even knew about it in the beginning).

B

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
One of the key ways to interpret the list I have is to see which ships headed back the next year to Manila. In 1600, it seems four ships were sent, and it seems possible 3 made it, though there is some sketchyness about which ship did not make it.

An unnamed ship made it, in late 1600. In Jan 1601, two more pulled in to Acapulco. The names given are the Santa Maragarita, San Geronimo, and La Contadora. It seems like the Santa Margarita or the San Geronimo was the capitana, and another ship was the almiranta. Vizcano refers to his almiranta in 1602.

In the next year, the names of all these ships disappear, meaning they were all probably retired from the line.

The San Felipe was a Spanish galleon which, in December 1596, while en route from Manila to Acapulco, became shipwrecked at Urado Bay, on the coast of Tosa Province (Shikoku). It was towed into a bay and possibly wrecked intentionally by the shogun so that he could then loot the cargo. So that is where the San Feliepe II ended up.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think those ships would have been good for more than one or two voyages of the sort, without MAJOR rehab. Between very rough seas and worms I bet they were fairly lucky to get one way safely.

Best-Mike

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It appears that whatever bracing and work they did to make them last for months on the sea was not as radical as believed. Most ships were torn apart and rebuilt in Acapulco or Manila after a voyage. The San Felipe I and San Agustin had lead sheeting, so this may have helped. The sacrificial hull wood was probably replaced and ballast stone added.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread