• sinking boat4 030710.jpg
    sinking boat4 030710.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 809

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That boat looks like a submarine :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Below is a picture, taken the same day, of the rocks at Carlin park, mentioned in the article. If the news story is accurate....I'd sure like to know the circumstances that caused the skipper to run his boat so close to shore in the first place. I can only assume alcohol was a factor. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• jupiter beach 030710.jpg
    jupiter beach 030710.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,037

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a 30 foot cig boat hit that exposed sand bar behind finns marina one night.2 guys 2 girls on board got ejected including a dog.They must have been going 60+ to get ejected like that,no one got hurt and alcohol was a factor.They were partying at capt hirams all day.The funny part was the 2 girls ditched the guys and swam over to my boat,on the swim over somehow they both lost thier bikinis,tops and bottoms.I offered them both towels and beers and they hung out on my boat all night while we watched tow boat try and get the cig boat off the sand bar.After many tries and broken ropes the tow boat guy came over and asked me how i would get the boat off.I handed him a 100 foot stainless steel cable and told him to snatch it off if the bow eye holds up,it worked the first try.The cig boat outdrive and prop was destroyed and they had no tow boat membership.The tow boat guy brought back my cable and handed me 2 100 dollar bills and said thanks,said he was gonna charge the boat owner around 1000 bux.He towed them to the boat ramp and when they got there they found out they had lost the keys to thier truck.

So maybe the guy at jupiter was drunk,or had a steering malfunction or was just showing off or gawking at babes on the beach to hit those rocks at a high speed and hole his boat.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sorry but I'd say that ones fairly sunk , while not totally under its most like ruined by salt water damage to the engines and such

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any electronics or engines can be saved when sunk in salt water providing the electronics wasnt powered at the time of sinking.Just wash them out with fresh water and soak the electronics in denatured alcohol and let dry,diesel Engines pull the injectors,vac out the cylinders,squirt some oil back in,crank em over by hand and fill back up with oil,crank some more dump the oil and fill with oil and run it.Same goes with gas engines.2 strokes its alot easyer,just pull the plugs and crank the engine till all the water blows out then run it.Alot of people think when a boat sinks that its ruined forever.When i got my striker it was partly sunk by hurricane wilma,the engine room was completely filled up with rain water,no water was in the cylinders just alittle in the turbos,all the oil floated out and 40 gallons was in each crankcase.I pumped out all the water dryed out the starters and alts and injection pumps and they both ran after 3 days of working on them.No water got in the trannies.My uncle gave me the boat and thought that both engines were trashed,he was amazed that i got them running again.All the electrical was a different story,the AGM batteries were brand new and connected,the electrolysis fizzed off dam near all the electrical connections wherever there was power.1 battery was still good but both were still on warranty so i got 2 new ones.The boat had 400 gallons on diesel in the tanks,im sure thats what kept it afloat.I pumped out 20 gallons of salt water out of the stern tank.The furuno dept finder was totally submerged but not powered im still useing it.Now i have a industrial vacuum system that i use to dry my used cooking oil.Im building a chamber big enough to put wet electronics in to dewater them.I can save a few cell phones for a small fee of course.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
The highest percentage of boating accidents here in the PNW (probably anywhere) include alcohol, speed, and/or males under 25.

Whodathunkit ? :-\

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Autopilot can also have a lot to answer for these days - set a destination and get involved in other things (like doin the nasty in the cabin) ::)

Too easy!

Cheers

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Autopilot should only be used out in the open sea with a radar running and a alarm on when other boats get close.I have the 12 mile color radar,now i just need the autopilot.

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Autopilot should only be used out in the open sea with a radar running and a alarm on when other boats get close.I have the 12 mile color radar,now i just need the autopilot.

Actually nothing absolves the master of a vessel for failing to maintain an adequate watch.....not even a radar with CARD (Collision Avoidance Radar Detection) absolves a master from maintaining an adequate watch at all times.

Everyone has to sleep sometimes - but the master of a vessel is still responsible when asleep and someone else has the watch - standing orders should thus require that the watch keeper awaken the master in any situation where he or she is unsure of proceeding with safety.

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread