What designates the Shipwreck / Salvage season??

Land-Sea

Jan 27, 2006
High Desert of California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
In my recent studies, I find many books and people referring to the "season." I.e. The "season" is to short.

What designates the season for salvage work? Is is all geared around temperature, seas etc...or?? Is there a way around working just in "season?"

I am hoping to find out what times make the season for a particular location. Some of the areas I am considering are off Nantucket, Crescent City, and the Gulf coast of Florida.

Help!!

Thanks,
jake

OP
OP
L

Land-Sea

Jan 27, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cornelius,

Got it. Will the size of the waves have an effect if you are just doing search patterns with Side Scan Sonar or an ROV? Or do I just need to be patient and wait til the "season" starts?

Jake

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Land-Sea,

You typically will want calm seas for any search or survey. Calm seas also usually mean better visibility. Take the treasure coast of Florida for example. The winter months bring strong NE winds that create waves and makes the visibilty bad. The summer months tend to have calmer SW breezes with little or no wave action. In turn, the visibilty clears up and search and recovery is easier.

Good luck,

Robert in SC

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Land- Sea, All these post are correct. I have fished the Gulf Stream since I was a kid (and boy was that a long time ago!) I do not claim to be an expert by no means but there are many on this board that are! As far as the Florida treasure coast goes during the months of May ,June and July and maybe even August seem to be the best, the water is clearer the sea is calmer and warmer. The Gulf Stream comes in just a little closer and brings in clearer water...I like to call it "The Hundred Days of Diving" (sounds like a good movie title) I personally like to see as much as I can in the water meaning more area to search in what short "season" we have, and if anything bumps you then you just might see what it is. If you have a productive area work it out as long as it takes, even if it takes all year!! Good hunting

OP
OP
L

Land-Sea

Jan 27, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Robert, Jimi D,

I appreciate all the input. I have been a So California land lubber for the last 30 years chasing land treasures, Spanish signs, mines and more. With the info I am getting from this forum, I hope to make a stab at the coast of Florida the start of next season. In the meantime I have a lot of research to do.

Jake

P

pvet

All the above posts are correct, the season is when you can get out and work with a steady deck and calm water. You can accomplish more in a day of calm than you can in a month of wind. But sometimes you want the rough water, no one else is out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread