The Search for the Guggenheim Treasure

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Ah yes. I think I've commented on this one before. The silver that fell off of the Harold. The problem was that during the salvage attempt, they used a clamshell bucket to retrieve the ingots. And while doing so, they kept pushing bars deep into the mud. And now you have to worry about a layer of toxic sludge thanks to the industrial revolution of the early 1900s.

This actually happened more than once in the area. The same thing happened to the barge "David Sturdevant" previously in 1871 when the barge was hit by the S.S. City of Manchester. The $30,000 worth of silver ore fell off of the barge into the mud and the barge itself was recovered and scrapped. I know they sent divers to recover the silver ore but I don't know how successful they were. This was in the narrows off Staten Island in about 72' of water.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
A few years ago I met with a fireman from New York that was involved in the 9/11 rescue. He had side scan images showing where the silver was along the route of the dumping. (It was buried pretty deep in the mud) I wonder if this is the same group involved in the salvage. I guess he finally got a permit for the salvage.

Juggler

Mar 14, 2008
There is no toxic sludge on Story Flats. If there were, permits would not have been issued. There is a lot of mud but some of the best blueclaw crabbing is done on the flats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread