Northeast Florida Symposium of Maritime Archeology 3/17 - 3/20

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good afternoon Aquanut: That was prob me, since I don't know his actual anchorage point in the bay. Go to
===> http://mexico.pueblosamerica.com/i/agiabampo-dos/ .

You can scroll around from Navojoa to South of San Ignacio bay to see what I was referring to in my remark on the sandy islands lining the coast. Naturally you can zoom in. You can also see what a perfect anchorage he had, two exits and hidden from the sea with a lookout on top of the mt.

As for his final wreckage zone, that will be sent to you by pm if you are interested.

Archaeology's loss.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning, If the archaeologists in here really wish a ship to play with, I have one just north of Tiburon Island on the main land beach.

In the 1800's, a ship load of settlers and their equipment, with land grants for the northern areas of the Sea of Cortez, were caught in the "Sal si puedes - get out if you can - tidal currents and ended up beached.

They were slowly butchered and eaten over the next months by the Seri Indians. the remains of the ship, and it's cargo were still visible in the gentle surf. A true Archaeologists dream, no precious metals, just daily living and farming artifacts.

The Sal si puedes is so named for the daily tidal currents that swirl and eddy forming whirlpools, etc. an impossible condition for sailing ships. The entire Sea of Cortez tidal flow is channeled through a narrow neck dominated by several Islands. Tiburon being the largest, the most dangerous part is between the Island and the mainland.

I was first notified of the ship remains by an Amercan that was attempting to open a Tungsten property on the coast just north of Tiburon Island. They had opened up a landing strip parallel to the beach. One day on the final, with the light just right, he saw the outlines of the wreck. The bow is on the beach. The surf is about 6 " to a foot.

Subsequent research brought out the details of a lost ship full of settlers, never officially accounted for except for an occasional 'burp' by the SERIS.

Be my guest, but remember, this was reported to me in the 50's. I never followed it up except for a search of 'some' records. For a satellite search -->

http://www.kngine.com/search?q=Map of Tiburón Island

Don Jose de La Mancha

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Joe ,
the story interests me, however, I do my physical searches in the Florida, Bahama , near Carribean areas simply because of logistics and funds. I'm sure you understand. Your information would surely interest the folks that post on the Shipwreck and Treasure forum. There are a few West Coast guys there that might be able to take advantage of your info. Now, I surely don't want to lose you to those guys, so if there is anything that you know of that we can coordinate on in my area, let me know!
Aquanut

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Aquanut: Unfortunately the only thing that I have to offer you would be in NE Mexico. The Jesuits were shipping metal from NW Mexico to a few small bays just below Matamorros for shipment to Rome. I am sure that they had more than one incident of metal being lost in transference to the ships by lighter.

On The other, 'most' of the critical information has been given to Chagy. I am not free to discuss that here. It is his to do with as he sees fit. No strings were attached.

You , of course are spoiled, being in some of the most beautiful diving waters in the world.

I remember when I first started on hard hat work with Al Mikalow in Calif, the first work was done in the sloughs and estuaries, which consisted in mostly barely soluble mud. His theory was that he was 'training' hard hat divers, and after his course, diving any where else would be a picnic, you would be a PROFESSIONAL.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. If a small screw driven boat full of chocolate sized Gold bars would tend to change your mind-------- approx. 40 ft depth. Prob. easily located in one day, or less, with an airborne maggie----

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Joe,
I'm sure my diving partner, Salvor 6 will read this and get a good laugh about our "spoiled" diving conditions of late. I think he might verify that "barely soluble mud" is a reasonable description. BTW, I do like chocolate!
Maybe I could put a couple interested guys together for a look. I'll just need to know a little more.
Also, from what I've read here and the guys I know, Chagy sure seems like a good choice for you to have continue your work.
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread