cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
OP
OP
G

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Re: Gold bars recovered in the 1930"s, 70 lbs+- average weight

Mariner,if this helps, author is Ben T. Traywick,published by Red Maries,1993. Besides the sword,he found a skull with a 70cal.bullet hole,and other items which are not described, as being English.His notes maps and sketches of the settlement,disappered with his death. If anyone out there is reading this,and has any knowledge of the supposed English settlement,please post it here.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Re: Gold bars recovered in the 1930"s, 70 lbs+- average weight

Cuzcosquirrel,

Thanks. I agree that Indian trading is the most likely way the sword would have travelled, but did not want to say so until I knew more about the circumstances in which it was found.

ghostdog,

I read a post on another forum by Ben Traywick, or maybe it was just a quote from his book. He says that Fish found English items that led him to draw that conclusion about a 1600 English settlement, but gives no details. He quotes him as finding some gold coins with dates of 1850. It doesn't sound too promising as a source of usable information.

In my time, I have tried tracking down dozens of statements like this, just for the sake of completeness, and they almost always lead nowhere.

Mariner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread