Ship Spike/Nails? Found

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time reader, first time poster.

Anyone have an idea what these are?
I found them about 1/5 a mile from the beach in Georgia with my new metal detector.

There is a metal rod about 2ft long
rodk.jpg

rod2bd.jpg

The nails are about 5-7 inches long, have 4 approximately equal sides and taper to a spike, the head of the nail seems to be a rounded square
nail1.jpg

nailsb.jpg

The last item looks like a piece of a iron pot, all these metals based on my metal detector and a magnet test seem to be iron.
potv.jpg

Anyone have any idea on these, specifically interested in the nails as that might give a hint to if this was from a shipwreck or
a barn door.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Look a lot like railroad spikes. I find them near me,as they
had rail lines running through the woods for lumber hauling.
Often wish I could find where they had any depots or camps,
as there might be artifacts at those places.HH Joe

OP
OP
D

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joe, I found them so close to the water I figured they might have come from a ship because I do not think there has been any logging in this area but thanks for the suggestion. These also come to a pretty sharp spike and are up to 7 inches long which when I looked at railroad spike sites (http://www.sizes.com/tools/spikes_railroad.htm)

I found these close by

And appear to have X I I carved in them

bars2.jpg

bars3.jpg

bars1a.jpg

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those are sounding weights.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The spikes aren't RR spikes - the heads on RR spikes aren't uniform like yours are.

It's possible that XII is a measurement for a sounding weight. What does the other end from the holes look like? They could also be old window weights.

OP
OP
D

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are just rounded off see below.

bars5.jpg

bars4.jpg

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found similar weights in Jupiter beach..... someone told me they were from the lifeguard cabin

Good Luck!!!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Chagy, where you been bro? Check your website link, it takes us to a vacation site.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I will respong to this maybe tomorrow when I have time with some pics. Yeah, they do look like a ship pin and nails.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I nnow for a fact the counterweights are for windows, I've pulled them out myself and even have a few laying around here somewhere.

Anyway, I too, suspect the spikes are likely from a ship. In the lowlands of Georgia, storm surges could send a ship up creeks and rivers that far from the beach with no problem. If there is no river or creek nearby, it means nothing, the river course changes easily with the influence of Hurricanes... and so on...
Aquanut

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Aquanut has it. Window counter-weights. 12 pound for medium sized windows. Mom's house still has them and about once a year I have to replace a line or chain that holds them. Without the counter weight the window is very heavy to lift and needs a stick to hold it up. The counter-weights solved that. They are inside the framework at the sides of the wondows. A piece of rope or lite chain runs from the window, over a pulley and into the window frame.

The other spike looking items may be a large version of nails. Big timbers in large buildings took more than 10 penny nails to hold together. Could be foundation spikes where large timbers were secured. :)

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I think it is a mid-1800's hull pin. I have seen one similar that might be from the Ayachucho.

Some of the cool stuff from last year:

^Possible shard of Borneo blackware.

^An unusual rock. May be a ballast stone from Acapulco.

^Bronze fragment, presumed ship's bell.

^Small green pebble to left of hinge, presumed jade fragment.

^Nice leaf motif on porcelin fragment, San Agustin.

OP
OP
D

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input all, I made sure the nails were not copper, slightly magnetic and after a little cleaning they were most definitely not copper.
After looking around I found some window sash weights for comparison and that is what they were, thanks all =)

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
For sure. Take them out of old homes and replace new windows all the time.... Still could be some good stuff at the site!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions