Lead from a Roman ship to be used for hunting neutrinos...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What? They are going to melt down lead bricks from a 2,000 year old shipwreck to hunt for neutrinos? Where are the protests of the freakin archaeologists? The lead bars should be in a museum. This is blasphemy! Thats like Odyssey melting down the 17 tons of 300 year old Spanish coins they found into ingots to sell on Ebay. The hypocracy is unbelievable!!!!! ???

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:
What? They are going to melt down lead bricks from a 2,000 year old shipwreck to hunt for neutrinos? Where are the protests of the freakin archaeologists? The lead bars should be in a museum. This is blasphemy! Thats like Odyssey melting down the 17 tons of 300 year old Spanish coins they found into ingots to sell on Ebay. The hypocracy is unbelievable!!!!! ???
They are using the lead for the good of mankind, they are not selling them on eBay, which is what Odyssey would do !
and they are cutting away all the markings which will be able to be seen at a museum.
Salvor6, Spanish lead taken by the Romans, they also took our gold and land, Your thoughts?
" Odyssey melting down the 17 tons of Spanish coins " IF they would make more money I'm sure they would not hesitate !
Ossy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ossy said: "Spanish lead taken by the Romans, they also took our gold and land, Your thoughts?"

Well thats the same thing the Spanish did to the native Americans. The Spanish learn well. At least the Romans didn't kill everyone. The Conquistadors completely exterminated at least 20 different tribes like the Tequista, the Calusa, Arawak, Ays, etc. Research estimates around 50 MILLION natives died as a result of the Spanish conquest.
Counting neutrinos will not benefit mankind.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
'Scuse me for not educating myself to my full potential : Whatinell are neutrinos , anyway ?
Jim

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Neutrinos are atomic particles with almost zero mass. Most of them come from the sun. Thousands of neutrinos pass thru your body every day! Thats why they are so difficult to detect. There are already 3 neutrino detectors in the world. We don't need another one.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:
Ossy said: "Spanish lead taken by the Romans, they also took our gold and land, Your thoughts?"

Well thats the same thing the Spanish did to the native Americans. The Spanish learn well. At least the Romans didn't kill everyone. The Conquistadors completely exterminated at least 20 different tribes like the Tequista, the Calusa, Arawak, Ays, etc. Research estimates around 50 MILLION natives died as a result of the Spanish conquest.
Counting neutrinos will not benefit mankind.
Thanks for your thoughts Pete. Wasn't it disease's like chicken pox that killed most of them and not the sword ! which most
of Europe had survived.
You say Research estimates this. WHO'S Research?? Your ancestors the English wiped out 30 MILLION alone in India !
Ossy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are right Ossy. Most deaths were from smallpox, syphilis, diptheria, influenza and other European diseases. Population estimates are from recent studies by Oxford University and Henry Dobyns of the University of Washington.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kind of slow right now. I'm trying to become a non-profit organization but that won't buy groceries.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Alexandre,

In that interview with the Haida man, there is no suggestion that the smallpox blankets were distributed deliberately, only that the disease was transmitted through them. However, in the 1970s, when I lived in British Columbia, I had some good friends who were senior members of the Haida heirachy, and they told me that they had evidence that the Hudson's Bay Company deliberately distributed blankets infected with Smallpox among the Haida, which resulted in the population of the Queen Charlottes being reduced from over 100,000 to less than 5,000 in a very short period. My friends would not show me the documentation, which they said they had come across when doing Land Claims research, but they were very principled people, and so I believed that it did exist. Two years ago, I was working on a project near Winnipeg, Manitoba, and visited the Hudson's Bay Company archives there, but could not find any documentation about this. There is no doubt that Smallpox was a major contributor to the decimation of the Indian population in British Columbia, but whether its spread was deliberate will remain a matter of conjecture until the documentation is produced.

Another piece of Haida oral history that I was told is that there were two prehistoric (meaning prior to the 1770s) shipwrecks at the northern end of the islands. The first resulted from the Haida luring the crew ashore and then massacring them, the story of the second was rather vague. About ten years ago, a friend of mine told me that two men from the BC Mainland had found a bronze cannon on the northern island, in the region of Langara Island. He said that the men had showed him a rubbing of the date and what was clearly the Spanish coat of arms, and I had no reason to doubt his story. He even gave me the names of the two men, but when I contacted them, they denied the story (of course). Either the cannon did not exist, or they intended to find a black market buyer for it, and perhaps go back and look for more artifacts. I suspect the latter, as I have reason to believe that such a market does exist.

My thought at the time was that if the cannon did exist, it might have come off the Manila galleon San Antonio, which went missing in 1604. Spain started to arm the Manila Galleons after Cavendish captured the unarmed Santa Ana in 1587. However, it is another of those intriguing stories that lead nowhere without enough evidence to justify the cost of further effort. That part of the coast is pretty inhospitable most of the time. Very little archaeological work has been carried out on the Charlottes, and there is no evidence that I know of to support the story of these early wrecks.

Mariner

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
they found more than the bronze gun right? the tide was an issue and then there were caves? right track?

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
OldGold1974,

I really don't know. What I have told you is (almost) everything I know about this particular story.

I could tell you other stories about West Coast cannons that do involve caves, but not this one, as far as I know. Do you know something?

Mariner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread