OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MAY 6, 2010

FWC: FLORIDA WILDLIFE IN GOOD HANDS

TALLAHASSEE- - Working closely with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) continues to monitor the coast and prepare for the potential arrival of oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

“We are hopeful the oil spill may miss Florida’s beaches,” said Rodney Barreto, Chairman of the FWC. “However, you can rest assured Florida will be prepared to address any threats to our precious fish and wildlife resources.”

He said there have been no impacts on Florida’s fish and wildlife. The FWC continues to have strong conservation management strategies in place, and we are fortunate to have so many partner agencies and conservation organizations willing to contribute time and resources to this effort.

Approximately 70 FWC staff are involved in a variety of oil spill response-related activities, including conducting pre-impact assessments and coordinating with other agencies. FWC staff are on duty at the Incident Command in Mobile, Ala. and St. Petersburg, as well as at the Emergency Operation Center in Tallahassee. Dozens of staff are working behind the scenes to coordinate all activities and communications.

“We continue to be thankful for all the offers of support and assistance pouring in from concerned citizens and conservation organizations across the state,” Barreto said. “We want to assure the public that good plans are in place for recovery and rehabilitation of all wildlife.”

Oiled birds, reptiles and other wildlife will be handled by Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research. Tri-State and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) will coordinate all recovery and rehabilitation efforts for wildlife impacted by the oil spill in Florida with FWC’s assistance and support.

The FWC asks everyone to please be aware that all wildlife rescue efforts must be coordinated in a safe manner by trained personnel. Rescued wildlife will be taken to approved zoological facilities for rehabilitation so they have the best chance of survival. Also, handling oiled wildlife may pose a serious health and safety risk to rescuers and the animals they are trying to rescue. The chemicals in oil are toxic and only trained personnel with appropriate protective gear and equipment should handle and treat oiled animals.
Even though opportunities for untrained volunteers are limited, the public may, call Volunteer Florida at 866-448-5816. Potential volunteers will be added to the Incident Command database. Offers of assistance are appreciated; however, it is important to note that callers may or may not be contacted to assist because of the hazardous nature of the response.

The FWC is working closely with the Joint Incident Command and all critical partners, which include BP, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Coast Guard and USFWS. FWC biologists are advising on strategy for placing booms – the tubing that contains oil spills – which requires careful planning when placed in environmentally sensitive areas, such as estuaries and inlets. These areas are a priority because these habitats support many of Florida’s wildlife and fish species.

“We are working with the very best agencies and staff in the country,” Barreto said. “We are all working together here in Florida, and we are ready for whatever may come.”

The FWC is coordinating with the USFWS and NOAA regarding response for potentially impacted marine mammals and sea turtles. Several FWC staff have been conducting aerial surveys over possible impact areas from Destin to Pensacola to survey manatee, sea turtle and dolphin populations. This information will assist in planning response strategies, should oil impact the bays and estuaries of the western Panhandle region.

Sea turtles, shorebirds, wading birds and other wildlife are vulnerable to exposure to oil in nearshore waters and on the beaches. The network of volunteers, rehabilitation facilities and veterinarians is preparing to handle any oiled animals found on Florida’s beaches. Nests and hatchlings will be monitored and protected on their nesting beaches by trained personnel.

Numerous FWC staff are conducting pre-impact assessments. FWC biologists have been deployed to Mobile, Ala., and the Florida Panhandle area to provide expertise in marine fish, sea turtles, shorebirds and other wildlife.

On Wednesday, the FWC and the University of South Florida’s College of Marine Science deployed the RV Weatherbird II to conduct a multi-day scientific research study to obtain information on fisheries resources and plankton in the Gulf of Mexico near the Florida Panhandle. Six FWC staff are onboard the vessel, along with staff from USF, to collect data, which will create baseline data prior to impacts from potential oil spills.

The FWC’s regional offices are inventorying equipment available for the response, so they can quickly mobilize when needed. This includes trucks, trailers, ATVs, boats and other equipment, as well as personnel.
For more information, call the Florida State Emergency Information Line at 800-342-3557. Other important numbers include:

* To report oiled wildlife, call 866-557-1401
* To discuss spill-related damage, call 800-440-0858
* To report oiled shoreline, call 866-448-5816
* To request volunteer information, call 866-448-5816

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
It is true there was a black helicopter hovering over my house last night, but even with their night vision & infra red they could not spot me cowering under my lead lined computer desk!

That aside - I'm quite sure it is my tin foil hat that stops their rays from penetrating me head to read & steal my thoughts! :tongue3:

Cheers

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Lucky Eddie said:
It is true there was a black helicopter hovering over my house last night, but even with their night vision & infra red they could not spot me cowering under my lead lined computer desk!

That aside - I'm quite sure it is my tin foil hat that stops their rays from penetrating me head to read & steal my thoughts! :tongue3:

Cheers

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing simple way to clean up the oil.So easy a farmer can do it.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once that spill hit the beaches of the gulf,keys and east coast i guess BP will have to buy all our hazmat diving gear if we want to dive for treasure.I couldnt even watch the end of that video its very disturbing to see what the oil and the dispersants are doing.Getting free water and suspended water out of any kind of oil is easy for me,but getting suspended oil out of water in a bucket or drum would be possible.In the ocean with currents,deep and shallow water,forget it.Since BP sprayed the dispersants on and in the oil,they made the problem worse and unstoppable.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
"Top Kill" failed. Next plan...

"We're confident the job will work but obviously we can't guarantee success," Suttles said of the new plan, declining to handicap the likelihood it will work.

[Now did you notice anything wrong with the above sentence?]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
So far, she is not very strong, but if she doesn't break up, Florida and Alabama may be seeing oil.
This Hurricane season should be an interesting one. itmaiden

Real de Tayopa said:
Good morning Ladies & gentlemen: Agatha may change the game for the worse, depending upon her trajectory after crossing the Yucatan / Quintana Roo.

Don Jose de La Mancha .

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Here is an earlier video of the oil spill showing it's enormity early on.
The video was taken after the oil had been leaking for 18 days.

It has now been another 23 days +/- a few hours since the oil leak, so that is another 17 + 5 days of oil.
So what you see in the video will be less than half the amount of oil there is now.

itmaiden

jlasserton

May 16, 2010
Nashville
Every time I read something about the oil spill, it seems to be even more devastating. I know our country is working hard, but it has been going on long enough. Thanks for posting that CNN story, I had not read it yet.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oil slick is now 4 miles off pensacola.

Attachments

• toxicoil.jpg
    toxicoil.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 862

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Good idea Dell. Everyone may be affected by the fumes before they even notice them, or the oil.
Of course the air is so clean on the Treasure Coast, any regulars should notice a difference.
But once the oil hits, I don't think anyone will be diving. So if we all wished really hard for a great big old Hurricane to move the oil somewhere, where should it land ?

(I know I know, Washington DC but that is not necessarily a realistic path, try again)

itmaiden

Dell Winders said:
According to the news tonight, it could reach North Carolina next month. The computer model shows it moving in close to the shore line at Jupiter, Fl.

Inhaling toxic fumes from the water surface could present a serious health risk for Salvors. Will we need to attach filters to our snorkels? It's maybe something new to think about for diver safety? Dell

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They say the Gulf stream will take the oil all the way to England. Wouldn't that be nice for BP?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread