info on poverty island

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Legend: The beleaguered South, strapped for capital, put out a desperate call for relief to France. According to the legend, the French emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte III, secretly dispatched a shipment of gold across the Atlantic to Canada.

Yes, at the time, France was not really an ally. The US opposed the plan by Napoleon to turn Mexico into a French colony. But seriously, this is France in 1860's, and $15 million is secretly sent to the South, through CANADA?!?!?!? France was just wrapping up a war with Austria over Italy, and gained parts of Italy as a result.

Reality: History notes that the $15 million, known as the Erlanger Loan, was financed through bonds in France backed by cotton at a 50% discount. This was very favorable (and popular) in Europe.

Before the South collapse, of the $15 Million floated in bonds, about $6 Million had been transferred to the South, most in the form of arms, munitions, and supplies from Europe through blockade runners.. (of course, at greatly rates inflated rates) The South collapsed before any other bonds were paid, and the US did not honor any Confederate Bonds.

This was not a secret transfer, and there is no record of any funds being lost.

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/PROJECTS/denbigh/erlanger.htm

As they say on TV, myth..

busted-rusted.jpg

Last edited:

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been researching that wreck for most of my life and I hope that someday I’ll be able to go out there and get it believe me it’s there !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread