Oil Spill

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I know we have been discussing the Gulf Oil catastrophe in another thread, but I wanted to start a new one from a different angle.

I guess the first thing that irked me is how "stupid" they are playing regarding dealing with the pipe leak, and also the oil clean-up.

But I was discussing this with a friend this a.m. as I had been reading some information in government documents that made me suspicious that this could be an "on purpose" event. Now, I am not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but there were a lot of "players" connected to this rig.

The document I was reading made me wonder if they were putting us in the position to buy more foreign oil and from a particular source.

As my friend and I were discussing this out, another thought occurred to me. The "global" faction wants complete control over all environmental related things....land, all water, etc etc.

Are they going to use this oil catastrophe (accident or otherwise) as an excuse to exercise more control over rigs everywhere, or the oceans ?

itmaiden

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
itmaiden,
I don't think this would be the way to go about that end. The bad side is way too detrimental to the oil industries interest. It's much easier to fake a global shortage.
Aquanut

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I was there when it happened and am out in the Gulf right now. No big conspiracy here, just a tragic accident. Unfortunately it is getting a lot of unfair media attention that makes it look dangerous. I'm not saying it can't be but it is kind of like a plane crash...the plane that crashes gets all the attention, the thousands of planes that take off safely and land safely everyday, never gets reported.

All these people that think we should eliminate offshore drilling have lost their mind... since 1947 175,813 barrels of oil have been spilled in the GOM, while 16.5 BILLION gallons have been produced...that is something like a one one-thousands percent of what has been produced.

Now I am not saying we should not continue to seek alternative energy. America uses 20 million barrels of oil a day, and we produce only half of that...the rest has to be imported. Do you really want to eliminate offshore drilling and be ever more reliant on Arabian oil.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think any new offshore drilling should be banned until they can invent a foolproof shut off valve with a number of redundant back up systems. What may have happened initially was an accident, but what happened since is criminal.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
itmaiden said:
As my friend and I were discussing this out, another thought occurred to me. The "global" faction wants complete control over all environmental related things....land, all water, etc etc.

Are they going to use this oil catastrophe (accident or otherwise) as an excuse to exercise more control over rigs everywhere, or the oceans ?

The real choke point is the refineries. Take over those & you control the entire oil industry....

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone think there is any possibility that either Chinese or North Korean subs could have been responsible for the explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizons rig? From what I've read, the rig was paid for and built by South Korean companies... and there has also been, again from what I've been told, heavy Chinese sub activity out in the Gulf.

idk, probably weighs on the realm of "conspiracy" stuff... usually because most of us believe nothing like that could or would ever happen within US boarders. *shrugs*

On another subject... I e-mailed BP Oil, the Associated Press, Governor Charlie Crist (FL), and this company called American Products Enterprises Corp. (http://www.americanproducts1.com/) about an idea that I had to stop the flow of oil, or at least slow it down enough to cap it off. This could be accomplished with a product that American Products Enterprises makes called HTP. It solidifies and encapsulates the oil on contact. It's also waterproof and 100% organic. My suggestion was to drill a hole at the lowest point of the exposed pipeline, and inject the HTP material into the pipeline until it slows or stops the flow.

I received an e-mail back from the Vice President of American Products Enterprises today stating that he personally forwarded their product info to BP Oil 2 weeks ago, but BP hasn't seemed to show any interest as of yet. Hopefully this might end up being a viable option, which I do believe might work better than some of the other things they've tried. Plus, the HTP substance can be used for large-scale cleanup efforts.

Bran <><

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leaking oil well should be plugged with BP execs

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where are all the skimmer ships? They should be out there now.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the oil reaches the east coast of florida.ALL treasure hunters can file a class action lawsuit sueing for millions saying that we can not recover billions in treasure.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
The main problems you have with this situation in particular are:

1. A faulty blow out preventer (BOP) to begin with
2. A BOP that has never been tested or certified for the depth it was installed for the Deepwater Horizon rig
3. No viable contingencies in place for a disaster on a rig at this depth.
4. A lack of government regulation in place to provide assurances that reasonable safeguards are in place
5. The government agency that should provide some regulation, The Department of Interior, is in the pocket of the oil industry.

If that's not a recipe for disaster, I really can't imagine what is.

This is a tragedy of monumental proportions that we have not even begun to see the results of yet - but we most assuredly will.

Pcola

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, plans are underway to close off Sebastian Inlet with a boom to avoid contamination of the estuaries. Definitely a kink! Hard to say how long it will be required.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
If the oil reaches the east coast of florida.ALL treasure hunters can file a class action lawsuit sueing for millions saying that we can not recover billions in treasure.

Maybe you guys should shift your priorities into salvaging "black" gold.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The in water boat detailing biz is gonna be good!

The B.P. CEO got on television and smirked while talking about this important matter and claimed no responsibility. B.P. has now been ordered to settle damage claims, most of which can be handled over the telephone.
I would suggest not letting Big Oil get away with another mass murder of lives, jobs, businesses and people of florida and the gulf. BP Claim # 1-800-440-0858

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't understand why this rig while drilling at over 5000 ft did not have the best shut off valve. All rigs should and probably will from this point be required to install superior failsafe automatic shutoff valves. Why this wasn't required years ago baffles me.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BP, which was leasing the Deepwater Horizon rig, has said since the explosion that about 5,000 barrels -- or 210,000 gallons -- of oil have been gushing out of the well every day. The company says it reached that number using data, satellite images and consultation with the Coast Guard and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Some scientists, however, believe the actual amount of oil may be larger. A researcher at Purdue University said BP's estimate is low and he believes about 70,000 barrels of oil are leaking each day. Steve Wereley, an associate professor in the mechanical engineering department, said he based his estimate on an analysis of video of the spill.

Ian MacDonald, a biological oceanographer at Florida State University, has compiled data showing that as much as 1 million gallons of oil a day may be flowing from the well. As of May 7 -- more than a week ago -- MacDonald estimated that 13 million gallons had been spilled in the Gulf, according to FSU. By comparison, the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska is estimated at 11 million gallons.

MacDonald used U.S. Coast Guard aerial overflight maps of the oil to estimate its surface area, "then applied standard guidelines to measure the thickness of the oil itself," the university said in a statement. "By combining the two, he was able to provide a revised estimate showing that the oil spill is far worse than originally believed."

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Got some interesting news from a few friends that have been hired by BP for the cleanup when it arrives at Pensacola:

Boats 30' and under to tend to booms in coastal waters: $1000/day upon oil arrival

Trucks with a flatbed trailer and mid-sized tractor w/ front scoop (bucket): $750/day upon oil arrival

These guys don't normally BS but of course you have to take this with a grain of salt.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pcola if what your friends say is true for that kind of money there would be a caravan from every state of people with boats and front end loaders heading to the origin of the spill.I just watched a video about the fishermen in LA.They are pretty ticked off right now as BP is supposed to put them all to work helping out with booms etc.Not all are working.

Interesting website on how the GOV responds to oil spills

http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/ncb/eurd/oil/noscp1/strategy.htm

Plat

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 3
we should sell 'tar balls' on ebay...i wonder how fast you'd get booted ;D

in all seriousness tho.....i sure hope it doesn't come around the bend on the east coast!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread