Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Assuming that to be true, then we have lost one of the true pioneers in modern day treasure hunting.
His bio of accomplishments can fill pages. I had the honor to be one of his partners on two projects, one being the salvage of the 'Capitana' (1654) in Ecuador several years ago. My heart goes out to those who were closest to him.
Don....

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lou was one of the true mavericks in the shipwreck salvage world. I only had the honor to meet him once. My deepest regards to his family and friends. I know he will be missed by many.

Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dang --another early GIANT of the OLD SCHOOL --no permits needed treasure hunters group gone --darn shame -- i never got to meet em in person sadly --- I understand he found a 1733 wreck in the keys before he got involved in helping with the big 1715 fleet --reale eight group

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Ivan what are you talking about..."No permits needed treasure hunters group"

Heck Lou was an original member of the group that had the greatest permit ever...Real Eight Company's permit covering the 50 miles stretch from Sebastian to Stuart!

For many of us their exploits started it all...my grandparents had a bookshelf full of National Geographic Magazines and I still remember as a little kid going over there and reading the January 1965 issue. Almost every time we visited...must have read it 100 times!

What a treasure finder! Also a lot of other diversified interest...I visited him off and on throughout the years and he had one of the nicest HO train layouts I have ever seen in his house.

He will be missed, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
his finding the 1733 wreck in the keys was pre permit wasn't it? -- yes of course the reale eight group -- got "the permit" the holy grail of permits the 1715 fleet permit -- of that there is no doubt -- but lou was looking for stuff long before "permits" were "requied" ( no insult of any kind is meant by my remark -- just saying he was one of the "free" early treasure hunters before all the red tape got mixed up in treasure hunting is my point )-- clearly he was a seasoned treasure hunter in his own right before joining up with the reale eight group* -- his find of the 1733 wreck in the keys shows that

I never got to meet him (sadly) -- but from his "history" alone its clear he was quite a man . one of the true early treasure hunting gaints . I have nothing but respect for those early treasure hunting folks.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had the pleasure of visiting Lou at his Merritt Island home about 8 years ago. His house was full of interesting shipwreck artifacts and he told me some memorable stories. I got him to sign my copy of "Pieces of Eight." He will be missed.

Other than John Jones and Rex Stocker, is there anyone else from Real 8 Co. still around?

Tom

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Tom:

I gave a talk at the McLarty Museum a couple years ago...Lou Ullian, John Jones and Erv Taylor attended and they were introduced as the last remaining member of Real Eight. Plus Rex Stocker is still around.

One of my most prized possessions is a 1st edition HB copy of Pieces of Eight with the entire group's signature.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/floridatoday/obituary.aspx?n=louis-ullian&pid=142900657

Louis Joseph Ullian Merritt Island Louis Joseph Ullian, 78, of Merritt Island, passed away peacefully Sunday, May 16, 2010 with his wife of 55 years, daugh ter and son, by his side. Lou was born in Worcester, MA on March 5, 1932. He married Helen Reinhart Place on June 24, 1954 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. In addition to his wife, Mr. Ullian is survived by his daughter, Linda Ullian Schmid, son-in-law, Robert Culver Schmid; grandchil dren, Robert Alexander Schmid, and Emmalee McCallon Schmid of Knoxville, TN; son Mike Ullian, daughter-in-law, Christine Ullian; and grand children, Jake, Zack, and Matt Ullian of Indialantic, FL; by brother, Arthur Ullian, sister-in-law, Louise Ullian of Ft. Lauderdale, FL; and brother, Charles Ullian and sister-in-law, Sveta Ullian of Umatilla, FL. He graduated from Ft. Lauderdale High School in 1950, graduated from Purdue University in 1955, where he played football and received a MS degree in Mechanical Engineering. He served in the U.S. Navy, Naval Weapons Station from 1956-1959 as a hardhat underwater ordi nance diver. For 40 years he worked with the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy and NASA ending as Deputy Director of Safety. Lou loved being with his family, grandchildren, dogs, treasure hunting, model railroading, church, and at tended his grandchildrens sporting events. The memorial - celebra tion of life service will be held on Saturday, May 22 at 11 a.m. at Eastminster Presbyterian Church in Indialantic, FL with a recep tion immediately following in the Worship Center. In lieu of flowers, the family requests any memo rial donations to be made in memory of Louis J. Ullian, either at the National Parkinsons Foundation, 1501 NW 9th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, Eastminster Presbyterian Church, 106 N. Riverside Dr., Indialantic, FL 32903, or the Humane Society of South Brevard, 2600 Otter Creek Lane, Melbourne, FL 32940.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread