Cape Cod national seashore wrecks

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are hundreds if not thousands of wrecks off the seashore here. Most are fishing vessels, some military and fewer Spanish galleons.

One has been located and a museum was put up for it to display some of the finds.

Has anyone had any luck detecting along seashore? Despite my efforts to google it...I cannot come up with an exact location. I was wondering if anyone knew. The Whydah is the one I believe.

Yes...I was thinking of detecting close to it on shoreline. Exact location hard to get though. And national seashore I believe is offlimits.

Anyway...HH -Joe

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I have heard it is against the law to detect in front of the Whydah site. I think Barry Clifford specificly talked about this in one of his books.

bottomscratcher

Mar 1, 2010
Eastern CT
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers pulse 8 x
It's somewhere off wellfleet. Off limits from what i've heard. The museum is pretty cool. Are the beaches in P town part of the national seashore? If not I bet it's good hunting off season.

OP
OP
jyt2017

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Gotta ask what are the chances the park ranger will find you and actually bust your balls over it.

I am willing to try. Play dumb. I mean chance to find one coin...just one. Ok maybe more stuff has washed up. Who knows. Anyway...thanks. HH -Joe

bottomscratcher said:
It's somewhere off wellfleet. Off limits from what i've heard. The museum is pretty cool. Are the beaches in P town part of the national seashore? If not I bet it's good hunting off season.

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe: I am the archaeologist on the WHYDAH project and it is illegal to detect on the beach, anywhere on the Cape Cod National Seashore for that matter. I'm not sure what the fine is but they would probably confiscate your detector also. The wreck site is located on Marconi Beach, there is a sign for it on Route 6. It is a beautiful beach with cold, clear water, gets crowded on the weekends.

There is a museum in P-Town with some artifacts we've recovered and a 5 year nationwide tour currently in St. Louis.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Pirate Diver

OP
OP
jyt2017

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I dont want my detector taken away. But would be worth a few walks after a storm. Thanks for info. HH -Joe

piratediver said:
Joe: I am the archaeologist on the WHYDAH project and it is illegal to detect on the beach, anywhere on the Cape Cod National Seashore for that matter. I'm not sure what the fine is but they would probably confiscate your detector also. The wreck site is located on Marconi Beach, there is a sign for it on Route 6. It is a beautiful beach with cold, clear water, gets crowded on the weekends.

There is a museum in P-Town with some artifacts we've recovered and a 5 year nationwide tour currently in St. Louis.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Pirate Diver

infoverload

Greenie
May 11, 2010
Although I'm new to the hobby I've done my research. They'll confiscate detectors, there was a post by a police officer on another forum. He was doing some research about a military base, detecting here and there on the shore, they confiscated his detector and issued a citation.

Just keep it legal folks. You'll ruin it for the rest of us.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I wll probably be visiting the Provincetown Museum in about two weeks. Hope you guys have some t shirts available.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry... this is a rant but I just gotta' say it...

So sad that we as Americans (myself included) allow our government to take away our rights and freedoms on a daily basis and do nothing to stop the greedy and power hungry politicians and their land and money grabbing that they have perpetrated for so long.

Our parks and seashores supposedly belong to all of us... it is our tax dollars that pay for these National Seashores (and the salaries of the Politicians that are making up the rules as they please... and the salaries of the Rangers that work in these parks)! Why are we not getting together and telling the government that outlawing metal detecting on our seashores is not acceptable and demand change?

What is their justification for banning it? Because they can... And because they know that there may be something of value there... same thing is starting to happen in Florida. The government knows that there are items of value to be had and they haven't figured out a way to control and tax us on things we find while detecting so they choose to make it unlawful and control it that way. If things keep going the way they have been... without the citizenry of this country standing up for our rights, we can kiss metal detecting and treasure hunting goodbye in the not too distant future... along with many other freedoms that we have enjoyed in this country.

There is nothing wrong with the hobby of metal detecting and if we as detectorists are respectful to others and are responsible with filling in our holes that we dig, why can't we detect on OUR beaches?!!

This is a time of great change in this country and it is an opportunity for each of us to show what we are made of... if you agree with what I have said here, then do something about it... take the time to write to your politicians, write up a petition and get it signed by as many people as you can and try to get laws like this changed, form a group to protest unfair laws like the metal detecting ban and get the media involved. Corrupt governments hate the media... hehe!!! Let's not just stand by and accept what little scraps the government chooses to leave us with... pretty soon the plate will be licked clean before it even comes to the table. Remember... your silence will not save you. Obama liked to talk about change and all that "Yes we can" stuff... so how about we hold him to it and demand change FOR the people...

Wow... I guess I had a bit of pent up frustration there... it sure felt good to get it off my chest though... thanks for that... see you on the beach.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and the story of the Whydah is fantastic. Kudos to Barry Clifford for undertaking this endeavor, for meeting with success, and for sharing it with us all... what an amazing find. I sure hope to catch the touring Whydah exhibit and eventually get up to the museum in P-town... I have heard nothing but good things about it. :thumbsup: :icon_pirat:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whydah museam in P-town is amazing and well worth the visit!! I could not believe the artifacts they had in there that told such a story.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I had a good time at the museum and got a t-shirt. I really liked the display with the cat head butted pistol and coins in it. I ended up not going out to the beach in front of the site, but it would have been really hard to do it. I would like to snag a piece of wood from the ship sometime to make a chess set or a box out of.

blacksambellamy

Jun 4, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
JW fishers pulse 8x
infoverload said:
Although I'm new to the hobby I've done my research. They'll confiscate detectors, there was a post by a police officer on another forum. He was doing some research about a military base, detecting here and there on the shore, they confiscated his detector and issued a citation.

Just keep it legal folks. You'll ruin it for the rest of us.

That police officer was me. Im just glad i had my cheap detector that day :D...I have never been back since and have moved all my detecting offshore beyond the reaches of the national seashore. It was my fault for not researching the laws but i do think they could have given me a pass after seeing all the good i was doing. All my research on the old military camp can be seen here at www.campwellfleet.com.

I would think ( especially in this economy) that someone who is willing to do free research and turn over everything to the parks Dept would be embraced.....not the case at all

blacksambellamy

Jun 4, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
JW fishers pulse 8x
piratediver said:
Take a walk after a Noreaster, you might get lucky!

Pirate Diver

Yes you might but everything on the beach or that washes up on the beach belongs to the National Park Service...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread