Poor water visibility around Sebastian?

Plat

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 3
Hey guys, just wondering what normally causes such bad water visibility around the Sebastian area the past couple weeks and is there a time of year or "prime time" to go out when the water is clear? We tried goin out today to do some snorkeling in about 10-15feet of water, the seas were 1-2 feet was a pretty day, but couldn't see a foot in front of your face! And i'm all about safety #1 so getting near those reefs out there is very dangerous when you cant see. We're tryin to find some good spots for lobstering when the mini season opens.

Your thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Plat

Plat

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 3
aquanut said:
The inlet dumps murky water from the river on the outgoing tide. Go south.

How far south would you recommend? Thanks

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The visibility tends to improve a bit as you head south towards Vero and get away from the inlet. There is also some good lobster reef withing swimming distance of the beach is this area.

Try Seagrape beach access at: 27.44.688 / 80.23.189

or Turtle Trail beach access: 27.44.033 / 80.22.916

or Tracking Station Park: 27.40.598 / 80.21.776

Tom

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billinstuart said:
I feel part of the visibility problem is caused by the poor quality beach "renourishment" (sic) material that contains organic fines that stay in suspension.

I've been diving these waters since '96 and I think its one or more of the following (seasonally driven):

Summer is the clearest inshore, but thermoclines offshore are typically horrible, particularly in late June to August. Vis offshore can be 0 to 10 feet, and waters typically 58-61 degrees but I've seen it go as low as 46 degrees the one year before all the hurricanes (killed a lot of lobster and fish). I believe it was 2003. Algae blooms, cold deep atlantic upwelling type water.

Silt deposits both inshore north of the inlet and offshore seem to get stirred up quickly during a swell. A moderate current from the south seems to help it up quickly, though. The hurricanes really, really stirred up the water, and all the rain runoff deposited large amounts of silt/clay offshore. Took years before a lot of this mud was carried away. Still some significant deposits here and there, the kind where you can stick your hand 6 inches deep in.

"Whale snot" blooms happen off and on, and will quickly erode the visibility offshore. Don't know if its plankton or algae but anyone who dives off sebastian calls it "whale snot".

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Gulf stream a lot further from shore here than Jupiter and then south. I'm sure that is a factor.

my two cents

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The silt/fines are a problem all along renourished beaches. I went to a meeting recently where the corps made a presentation on renourishment. The quality of the material wasn't even acknowledged or discussed...they seemed oblivious to this factor.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as the oil slick makes it to the east coast,you wont have to worry about all The silt/fines cause they will be sticking to the oil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
As soon as the oil slick makes it to the east coast,you wont have to worry about all The silt/fines cause they will be sticking to the oil.

I think Miami and the Keys are in a lot more danger, will have to wait and see, besides for me life is too short to start losing sleep worrying about what may happen and hasn't happen yet....

OP
OP
Plat

Plat

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 3
mad4wrecks said:
The visibility tends to improve a bit as you head south towards Vero and get away from the inlet. There is also some good lobster reef withing swimming distance of the beach is this area.

Try Seagrape beach access at: 27.44.688 / 80.23.189

or Turtle Trail beach access: 27.44.033 / 80.22.916

or Tracking Station Park: 27.40.598 / 80.21.776

Tom

Thanks for the advice everyone, great information! Tom we ended up going a little north of Turtle Trail beach and the waters were about 5 feet visibility which is the best ive seen in the past three weeks, we were in about 10 feet of water, great holes in the reefs! I'm still waiting for some clearer water tho, the seas need to simmer down :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread