snooping the internet again. found this

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
:shock: vary interesting me thinks. boomer :shock: :shock:

Researching Shipwrecks
U.S. Coast Guard History. ... "A Descriptive List of Treasure Maps and Charts" compiled ... Hydrographic Service: Information on wrecks in the Canadian waters ... Center, Division of Archives and History, Manteo, NC 27954. ...
www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBSHIPWRECKS/SHIPWRECKGUIDE.html

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
that site has lots of sources for info on wrecks, great find boomer, that is if your still on the forum ??? , as this was a very old post.
pat.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that was an old post but the link doesn't work..the Archies must have infiltrated and had the coast Guard take that infoout of circulation..Boomer always Had a lot of great posts miss him and seeing them on j. Swifts in legends.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A number of years ago I published a guide to US Government sources of shipwreck information. This was pre-Internet, when research involved leaving your house. Or, waiting for the postman to arrive.

The USCG has, from time to time, issued a number of publications that detail official and non-official sources of maritime history.

The "Descriptive List" was published in three editions by the Library of Congress. The 2nd Edition really got me started in treasure hunting - so you know it came out many years ago. All the publishers listed are long gone. It is a helpful bibliography for what's out there, as a comprehensive roster has never been published. The Rio Grande Press boys reprinted the 2nd edition - I'd talked with them about combining the 2nd and the 3rd, but that's one more project that never got off the ground...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: Try this link: http://www.uscg.mil/history/WEBSHIPWRECKS/SHIPWRECKGUIDE.asp

My "Guide" included an slightly revised version of "Principal Marine Losses."

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there are parts of me that miss "old" research methods and there are parts of me that love using the new technology.

My internet "finds" on the DHR annual inventory and the DHR permit info is something that I never could have obtained while being "stuck" outside of Florida. I wish the information was more readily obtainable and access wasn't tied to the whims of bureaucrats.
As the State Master File has gone way of!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread