Blue Holes and Anoxic water

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of the guys and Dell Winders were (I believe) discussing such a place around Florida on another thread, because it was supposed to contain possible shipwreck items in the sidewalls of the hole.
Interesting that these Blue Holes are essentially the same as the sink hole that opened up in Guatemala recently...

Bran <><

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not in Fl - have dove one off Schooner Cays - South Eleuthera

pure sand 15' water all around and than a ledge at about 40 ft then just a shaft going down
that was years ago and rumour was Navy hadn't gotten any soundings

went to about 165 was so clear and dark below with the light coming down like no water like being in air
lots of conch on top - if any ship went in that it would be way out of reach

lots of smaller holes around Eleuthera - boiling holes - can see the tide bubbling and the water comes from
under the island - swim into a cold cloud of fresh murky water - locals say they can drag you into them
keeps new sea water coming into some of the landlocked ponds

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a guy base jumping into a blue hole.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That isnt a device,its a lead diver weight so he drops like a rock.It doesnt look like a wet suit hes wearing either so hes not too buoyant with the 10lb lead weight.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
So this guy can really hold his breath that long ? Maybe the camera guy shared his tank.

itmaiden

FISHEYE said:
That isnt a device,its a lead diver weight so he drops like a rock.It doesnt look like a wet suit hes wearing either so hes not too buoyant with the 10lb lead weight.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That blue hole diver could hold his breath for 4 min.I knew a chinese pearl diver in hawaii,she could hold her breath at a 50 foot depth for 6 min.The most i could do when i was 18 yrs old at 50 foot was 2 1/2 min.Now im down to 2 min.Its all about expending energy,the less you move the longer you can stay down.

As far as blue holes off the east coast.I know where 1 is and theres a ballast pile nearby.Its well past the 3 mile US zone.I have a X on a chart where it is:)There was another,its in wabasso but its no longer in the ocean,its on dry land and its a well thats capped off,theres a wreck there too,that the fishers have a lease on.We called the state to get a lease on it and they said mel already had a lease there.So we went to talk to mel.Mel told me and mike maguire that we could work it for $250 bux for the season,but he said there was no treasure on it and that it was a french textile merchant.That was the first wreck we both found back in late 80's.A old man told me that the spanish ships used to come to the a free running spring that was out in the ocean to get drinking water and he said there was a wreck there.I still have one of the ballast stones and some iron spikes i found on the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions