Melbourne Beach Wreck....

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the site and the area. I've been a certified diver for a few years now and have wanted to do the whole treasure diving thing. It was my motivation to get certified to begin with. Because of this site, I found out that there is a wreck in my back yard. But from some of the threads I've read on here, it is not being worked.

Is there any change in the status of the Melbourne Beach wreck? What is the legalities of me throwing on a tank and doing some detecting? I've heard rules saying that anything over 50 years old you can't touch and also heard the as long as it isn't within 3000 ft of someones lease it's all mine. Is it legal to dive this area with a detector and see what I can find or will all I get out of it is a pair of shiny bracelets and a free car ride?

I'm new to the detecting and treasure hunting thing and want to make sure I get off on the right start. Not being arrested and/or fined seems like a pretty good start. Any information that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone wants a buddy to do some searching with I'm always available.

Thanks in advance.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Armydiver,welcome to the forum.All i can say is the whole melborne area is leased to a florida treasure company and no diving with a MD is allowed.It is also watched.

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Fisheye. Is this another one of the Fisher sites or somebody else? Is it a 3000 ft thing or literally, don't get in the water with a MD or you're done for kind of thing. I'm not looking to snake someones claim, just thought it would be interesting to get out there and have a look. Are there certain areas of Melbourne beaches that are off limits or pretty much everything? What are the rules for beach combing?

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. Not trying to break the law.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ArmyDiver, just become a 1715 fleet subcontractor and you can legally work a bunch of wrecks, just to the south of you.

Tom

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my limited knowledge of salvage diving and wreck hunting, I don't think it would be financially feasible. How much does something like that cost?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to dive on the fishers leases,you can sign up to be a sub contractor.It wont cost you anything for the contract and you get 45% of what you find.Go to the mel fisher museum in sebastian and talk to bill.

The melborne lease area doesnt belong to the fishers.If you find anything on the beach,its yours to keep.

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input! If I can get on a wreck without sinking a bunch of money into a contract, I would certainly be interested. Sounds like an awesome way to spend the weekends!

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually met the guys who are working/trying to work, this wreck tonight. Nice family. Hope they have good luck with the state and can get something moving. I missed bill tonight but will be sure to head down and see what kind of info I can get from him. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent the last hour searching and could not find any definitive answer to my questions. I know that the Fisher leases cover the large portion of area to the south of me and that there is an unnamed treasure salvage company working on a lease for the Melbourne beach area. I also understand that there is no diving or MDing around the cape. My question is this...

Where are the limits of these areas? How far south does the "cape" area start as far as the ban on MD'ing as well as how far north? Also, where does the area for the Melbourne beach site stop? Is there a gap between the two that I would be able to dive on or will I have to stick to the beach?

The reason I ask is, I was at the beach today, in this general area, and swam out as far as I felt comfortable and dove down (not scuba) to check out the floor in the area. There is a ton of rocks and crevices for things to be in and I would love to take a MD there and have a look see. Just trying to do this without getting arrested or having my equipment taken from me. There is nothing stating that this can't be done anywhere in the area. I thought about going for it then just pleading ignorance but I'm not trying to snake things from salvers who already have legitimate claim to the area. (the melbourne beach crew).

Also, does anyone know where I can get a layout of the sea floor for this area that points out the reefs in the area?

Thanks.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually met the guys who are working/trying to work, this wreck tonight. Nice family. Hope they have good luck with the state and can get something moving.

You met the leaseholder. Why not ask him what the boundaries are? Whatever the boundaries are-the area adjacent & directly to the south is part of the Fisher's E-89 exploration area I believe and off limits. You will have to work north of the Heartland Treasure Quest site.

Tom

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mad4Wrecks.

I met him briefly and talked to one of his sons. Didn't get a name of the company and have no way of contacting him. You mentioned Heartland Treasure Quest... is this the company? Is there a site or person that I can contact to find out the information?

Also, any information on the Cape cut off areas would be great.

I plan to get down to talk to Bill about the Fisher areas as someone mentioned. Thanks for the help so far everyone. It's been very helpful.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArmyDiver said:
I'm new to the site and the area. I've been a certified diver for a few years now and have wanted to do the whole treasure diving thing. It was my motivation to get certified to begin with. Because of this site, I found out that there is a wreck in my back yard. But from some of the threads I've read on here, it is not being worked.

Is there any change in the status of the Melbourne Beach wreck? What is the legalities of me throwing on a tank and doing some detecting? I've heard rules saying that anything over 50 years old you can't touch and also heard the as long as it isn't within 3000 ft of someones lease it's all mine. Is it legal to dive this area with a detector and see what I can find or will all I get out of it is a pair of shiny bracelets and a free car ride?

I'm new to the detecting and treasure hunting thing and want to make sure I get off on the right start. Not being arrested and/or fined seems like a pretty good start. Any information that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone wants a buddy to do some searching with I'm always available.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Funk is the name I remember tied to working this wreck from a few years back. Distinctive name, can't forget it.

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate any information and suggestions that you can make. Just looking to do this legit.

Any input on the Cape areas for MDing? Also a good place to get the layouts for the reefs in the area? I'm still searching for some contact information for HQT and the individuals that everyone mentioned. Does anyone have this?

Again, thanks for the information everyone. I'm a newbie to the area and I'm trying to suck up all the info I can as well as make sure I do this right. Just trying to start off on the right foot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions