The Petropavlosk

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Howdy folks,

So I've been trying to track down more information about the Petropavlovsk and have come to a stand still. What I am hoping is that some of you may have more information.

What I do know is this:
- The Petropavlovsk was a Russian battleship operating out of Port Arthur, China (Today called Lushun Port). It was launched in 1894, completed and commissioned in 1897.
- In April, 1904, the Petropavlovsk was sunk by Japanese floating mines laid by the Japanese minelayer "Koru-Maru".
- In 1909, the wreck was purchased by Sakuraya Tserinosuke, a Japanese businessman who intended to salvage the vessel. However, nothing came of it.
- In 1933, a second salvage attempt was made by a team of Japanese divers, led by Mr. Y. Katoaka.

Now the information I am trying to find is whether or not the second salvage attempt had any success. The only report I could find detailed the salvage team clearing mud away from the wreck to attempt a salvage. But nothing beyond that.

OP
OP
allen_idaho

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Even more interesting is that the Russian government reported that the Petropavlovsk was carrying $1,250,000 in gold specie when it was sunk. What I am trying to find out is whether or not the gold is still there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread