Artifact found near Oak Island, What is it ?

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just got back from a treasure hunting trip from Nova Scotia . We were looking for a Viking Ship and the Goverment gave us a Class A permit to get artifacts from the site. We located some metal objects made of Wrough Iron and we are not sure what they are? If you have any ideas on this please post. Is this something they droped over the side of a ship into water to tell depth ? I will post more photos of this. Thank You

Attachments

• 003s.JPG
    003s.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 8,182
  • 003s.JPG
    003s.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,488
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like rivets on the front but the back is smooth, the back sides are bent. The front is flat except for a cut or drop in thickness near the neck and a hole at the end. The rivets or humps are on the front. It is heavy. :dontknow:

Attachments

• MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 11,075
  • MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 2,683
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,331
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enclosed a picture of a bent spike also made of Wrough Iron. Is there a way to date iron ?

Attachments

• MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,201
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,365

REALESALVAGE

Jun 25, 2010
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse, Pulse 8, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what it is yet but you must put it back in water to preserve it. Iron will disenigrate when left in air you should conserve this using reverse electrolisis, google it and you will find plenty on the topic iron conservation...

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the back side and please note the edges are tapered. The end with the hole is closer to the camera. I can send you more photos if you email me. If someone knows were we can get this dated please email us.Thank you

Attachments

• MVC-036S.JPG
    MVC-036S.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,543
  • MVC-044S.JPG
    MVC-044S.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,686
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, We have returned all of the artifacts to the Nova Scotia Goverment for them to look at and date. We are not sure what it is that we found but its old and it was located at a ship wreck site ( Viking ) we hope. Dan Conlin of the Maritime Museum and Stephen Powell from the Heritage Department plan to have experts from the area check them out. As soon as we know the age and what it is I will post it :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread