Pirate brig "The Lark" and Charles A. Henderson

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Pirate brig "The Lark" and Charles A. Henderson

Hello everyone,

some time ago I came across this very interesting post (by Gypsy Heart, thx a lot for it!):

New York Times
March 21 1898

Charles A Henderson of Springfield Ohio who left this state a few days ago announces in a letter to Major RL Grimes that he has in Philadelphia purchased the Schooner Flora F. For himself and company and that as soon as he can get her ready he will set sail for a Treasure Island in the Caribean Sea.The exact location is a secret but it is in the vicinity of Truxillo and Island of Ruatan Honduras.
Mr Henderson was over Thirty years ago aboard The Lark,a pirate brig against his will.The Lark was pursued by a Spanish gunner boat and was scuttled in an inlet of the treasure island. All of the men except Henderson and another man were captured and executed.The other man died of Yellow Fever and Henderson alone knows the location. He is confident in recovering it.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A03E5DF1139E433A25752C2A9659C94699ED7CF

I was wondering if anyone has some information on how the story continued? Did Mr. Henderson actually find the wreck and what did he do after his trip? Any information on this gentleman or the brig "The Lark" and its crew or hints on where to find further information about it is highly apreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and happy hunting!

Divemachine

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Re: Pirate brig "The Lark" and Charles A. Henderson

I think there is both good and bad in this story. First the bad: Why would you (anyone) start a treasure hunt by getting it published in the New York Times? That just makes you a target for every thief on two continents. Then the good: There are doubtless many shipwrecks between Trujillo and Roatan, Honduras. If you look long enough you *will* find something of value. Meanwhile you went diving in paradise.

Chip V.

OP
OP
D

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Re: Pirate brig "The Lark" and Charles A. Henderson

chipveres, thank you for your input. I have no idea why someone would anounce in the public that he is going on a treasure hunt but it seems that Mr. Henderson was very serious about it. Do you have any idea where to find information about the sinking of the brig? Since it was (more or less) "sunk" by a navy vessel there should be any documentation?
divemachine ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread