Charles, Oak Island,NC a story

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
this is taken from notes i have. in 1961 a dave hoople found a wooden ship southeast of a place called cape point, north carolina. the ship was in 35' of water near a place called naogshead. what i have is that it ran aground and two boats were sent to a place called roaaka island, indians killed the crews
on the two boats and went and killed the rest. i wounder about this part, the indians killed all the spanish on the ship. spanish were never that far north? they set the ship on fire. mr hoople learned this story from indians in the area. the man had a few pieces of gold that was in a box found in his house after he died. the story was he did handyman work, but he never had any problems money wise. this story was given to a friend that gave it to me.

C

Charles, Oak Island, NC

Well, Boomer in ever legend or tale of the Outer Banks there is a tast of truth. It may be as small as a grain of sea salt but it's there.
A good friend of mine the late Honrable Judge Charles H. Whedbee wrote at least four books about the tales and legends of the Outer Banks. I have four of his books and will get them out and look up a couple of stores of spanish wrecks on the banks. One of his stories is of the 1750 wrecks of which I have been reseraching for over 15 years. It had one wreck of a spanish gallon in shallow water that did carry great riches. He has another story of a fresh water pond on the banks near Nagshead that has spanish coins in it from a wreck.
There are spanish wrecks as far up as Virginia. Also Dave Horner wrote about the same wreck in his book The Treasure Gallons. Also Marx has several in his book.
I will guess the date is 1761 rather than 1961 if ole dave found the spanish wreck.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
N. C.

i had a problem with putting this on line, because i had nothing to back it up and i have very little experiance with the coast. but the info i got was from a friend that lives in rocky mount. NC. and before he retired from the railroad he gave me a copy of this note. good luck boomer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread