maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the vikings raped and robbed most of northern europe, and as far south as the Black Sea, but now they are just a transportation company, and hauling treasures to the west, to bury, for someone else? Now the vikings are not interested in treasures? So they just spend months burying treasure? for what reason?

If you had treasure, would you take it to the other side of the world to bury, and perhaps never be able to find it again? No one had metal detectors, there was no Google earth, so why take it so far away, and bury it so deep, with traps to flood it? If the vikings could have buried their ship, couldnt the indians see, and figure out it was not a whale? Luckily, the indians are not very clever.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
The confusion over the use of the word Viking instead of Norse or Scandinavian is bedevilling the discussion on the Oak Island. The trouble is when you say Viking ship, what people see is the classic longship. Were Scandinavians still using longships to cross the Atlantic in the 14th and 15th centuries? And is there an accepted date for the end of the Scandinavian settlements on Greenland? I am assuming the settlements on America were abandoned fairly quickly?
Smithbrown

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK it may not be a Viking Ship or a Templar Ship but it looks like a ship. The pile of stones were in the shape of a ship and the story about people standing on a whale could be people standing on a ship turned over. Thats my point. A lot of ships look like a whale when turned over. The way the Viking's built their ships would be the best choice for a sperm whale look if the ship over turned. This was my point. There was no wood found on Hobson Island that was from a ship, just the stones in the shape of a ship and the right size. We did find other artifacts and carvings on the Island that are from the early days. We are still working in the area and hope to solve some questions soon. Thank You

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The confusion over the use of the word Viking instead of Norse or Scandinavian is bedevilling the discussion on the Oak Island.
Oak Island is an example of a certain sort of absurd treasure hunting that starts from the vantage of a tenuously credible narrative and works backward from there. Throw in a few generations of manipulative individuals who have a strong financial incentive to 'keep the hunt alive' and 200 years of sundry folklore, well, you wind up with the 'legend' we see in Oak Island.

The sorts of treasure hunts that are credible are based on the presence of two things: 1) historical fact that leads to 2) compelling evidence.

Absurd, imaginary rainbow chasing usually has one or the other, sometimes neither, but never both.
Compelling evidence in the absence of historical fact is often times fraudulent.
Historical fact in the absence of compelling evidence is a cold trail without a starting point.

A lot of treasure 'lore' is the result of fantastic narratives drummed up by enthusiastic dreamers that relies on one, absent the other; either history without evidence, or evidence without history. One always has to be mindful that 'discoveries' are made that change what we know so it's always possible for evidence to pop up without a historical backstory but for the most part, eccentric 'evidence' absent historical basis is a strong signal for fraud. A few coconut fibers and a Spanish coin or two 'discovered' on a Canadian island is a great way to keep the investor dollars flowing.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't seem to find anyone mentioning a glaring point: ballast. Rock ballast has been used throughout time on ships, and regularly up through the 1800's. Rock piles shaped like vessels are extremely common and often the first indication of an old wreck.

It would be awesome if it you found a very old wreck, but it could also be a newer one. Vessels of that size were extremely common. Perhaps rocks weren't used to bury the outside, but instead came from the inside, which would make the vessel over 59'. Just food for thought...

Good luck!

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I didn't seem to find anyone mentioning a glaring point: ballast. Rock ballast has been used throughout time on ships, and regularly up through the 1800's. Rock piles shaped like vessels are extremely common and often the first indication of an old wreck. It would be awesome if it you found a very old wreck, but it could also be a newer one. Vessels of that size were extremely common. Perhaps rocks weren't used to bury the outside, but instead came from the inside, which would make the vessel over 59'. Just food for thought... Good luck!
Actually, a member called Silver Searcher mentioned the possibility of the rocks being ballast on the thread way back in 2010. It is on the first page. This possibility would have occurred to lots of folks immediately. The problem is that the vessel in question would have had to have been quite a bit larger than 59 feet to account for the appearance of the strewn rocks. It would have to have been over 950 feet. And some of the "ballast stones" would have been in the vicinity of 10 feet in diameter. While it is not impossible there is a wreck in the vicinity, the Google Earth imagery sure seems to suggest a more likely explanation for the appearance of the Island: plain old, boring Geology. I hope I am wrong, though. Shoot, just about any shoal has the potential of holding a wreck, and there were PLENTY of wrecks in and around Nova Scotia.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, a member called Silver Searcher mentioned the possibility of the rocks being ballast on the thread way back in 2010. It is on the first page. This possibility would have occurred to lots of folks immediately. The problem is that the vessel in question would have had to have been quite a bit larger than 59 feet to account for the appearance of the strewn rocks. It would have to have been over 950 feet. And some of the "ballast stones" would have been in the vicinity of 10 feet in diameter. While it is not impossible there is a wreck in the vicinity, the Google Earth imagery sure seems to suggest a more likely explanation for the appearance of the Island: plain old, boring Geology. I hope I am wrong, though. Shoot, just about any shoal has the potential of holding a wreck, and there were PLENTY of wrecks in and around Nova Scotia.

I must have missed more than just the ballast comment.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I must have missed more than just the ballast comment.
Scrappy, I think most of us probably assume it was ballast rock. ( I know don't ass u me ). If Finder was really interested in finding a country of origin. ie... viking, Canadian Fishing boat etc... He might want to take one of the smaller ballast stones to a Geologist to examine to tell him what Country the stone came from.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK it may not be a Viking Ship or a Templar Ship but it looks like a ship. The pile of stones were in the shape of a ship and the story about people standing on a whale could be people standing on a ship turned over. Thats my point. A lot of ships look like a whale when turned over. The way the Viking's built their ships would be the best choice for a sperm whale look if the ship over turned. This was my point. There was no wood found on Hobson Island that was from a ship, just the stones in the shape of a ship and the right size. We did find other artifacts and carvings on the Island that are from the early days. We are still working in the area and hope to solve some questions soon. Thank You

Crazy coincidence....

the islands to me do take the shape of a couple of sperm....and you were saying the legend stated they came on the back of a sperm wale??

the Mikmak might of left this clued in their beliefs in descriptive form....

as the markings also show signs of a pile of rocks shaped like a ship, a rock map and the Square Root symbol.....hinting at a Square Route to take through the map of rocks from that point to the next clue.

you said there were clues from the western shores with huge crosses carved as well on the western tip of Nova Scotia.....these are truly guidestones for a larger area of development of Templar origins, but other signs point to spanish......

Robot seems to think that the invasion of Cuba was staged ans the stashes were set into these islands in clued form.....

my guess is that multiple parties have been stashing goods here for their King, and are hoping he will be born in the new world........seems fitting they moved their entire Temple of wealth and artifacts here as well,

some in defiance of the crown, some in defiance of the Holy See in the Vatican and the court in Spain.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread