Viking Ship Found in Nova Scotia ?? Help

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viking Ship on Hobson Island
In June 2010, Finders Keepers traveled to Nova Scotia to check out a small island in the Mahone Bay area.
The Island is know as Hobson Island and it is 175 feet long and 100 feet wide and around 5 feet above sea level during high tide and 700 feet long at low tide. We used Google Earth
to view it up close and to measure it. In the pictures enclosed you can see a pile of rocks in the shape of a ship and the pile measures 59 feet long and a Viking Cargo ship measures 59 feet long. The Vikings were known to bury their ships when they were no longer useful.

In the History of the Mikmag Indians they tell of red hair men that came to their land on the back of a wale. Then they say the red hair men built a island and planted trees on it. Then the red hair men built a ship and left.

Well we think this was not a wale but a Viking Ship turned over. Had the wale made it to main land then the Mikmag would of known it was a ship, so it did not make it to shore. We believe that the Mikmag saw the Vikings on the back of their ship and it looked like a wale from 3/4 of a mile away. Then the Viking Ship hit land and the mast broke off. Then they unloaded the ship and buried it on the Island. The island was made of sand and was 20 feet above sea level so it would be easy to dig a hole big enough to bury the ship. They would of wanted to use stone to hold it down instead of sand. We think they used the stones found around the shore line and this is why the island is gone today.
A Viking Cargo Ship could hold up to 25 tons of cargo and they could of build a raft and used the high tide and low tide to get the cargo and treasure to shore of Oak Island. They could of hauled stones and trees back to the island during low tide and to the Mikmag this would look like they were building a island.
If a Viking Ship was upside down the mast would be the first thing to hit solid land and if you look in the upper right of the picture ( use Google Earth not Google Map )you can see a straight object that we think could be the mast and yardarm.

The Island is in the right location, between the ocean and Oak island.
The island is 3/4 mile from shore.
The pile of rocks are in the shape of a ship.
The pile of rocks are 59 feet long.
The Viking Cargo ships were 59 feet long.
The long object (mast) is on the ocean side of the island.
The long object is the right size for the mast and yardarm together.
The Vikings were the only ones to burry their ships and their is a pile of rocks

.We believe there was a Viking Ship buried on the Island and this was the ship Prince Henry Sinclare and the Templar Treasure was on. Now that the island has washed away you can see a pile of rocks that we believe were used to bury the ship but are now gone. In the1970's a Light House and buildings were on the island but all are now gone and so is the 20 foot high island.
If this is a Viking Ship the ocean will destroy anything left on the island, we have to work together and fast on this historical find to get the info before it is gone. We just want to prove this is a Viking Ship, then hope the Government locates someone to check it out to see if anything is left.

1, We are still trying to get a small piece of wood from the straight object in the water to have it carbon dated. Our rented dive gear was not working for us to get a sample. We are looking for someone in the area that has their own dive gear and is willing to help us get the wood sample to carbon date. Email us for more info..
2, We did locate metal artifacts from the area that looks like a ship but the goverment says the artifacts are from the late 1800's and early 1900's.???
3, We did hope to locate some wood or coconut fibers on the surface to carbon date but their is to many dried plants on the island to do this in one day.
4, We had metal detectors with us but their is lots of red stones and red clay (with iron deposits) and plants that set off the detectors. Yet we still located metal objects.

Check out this page and let us know what you think.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Interesting that it is near Oak Island. Looks like another ships hull in the water.

itmaiden

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is some of the artifacts we found 16 inches down under the rock pile. We gave them to the Heritage Dept. and they won't give them back or sell them to us for $500. They will not show them to any experts . They said they are newer and will sit in the basement and rust away. The deal was , I was to return the artifacts and they had experts that would check them out. If we could prove there was a ship them they would take over. They gave us a class A permit but we could not dig and we could not remove anything from the island. The island is 90% washed away and soon will be gone so what is the harm in digging and removing anything before it is gone for good?????? :icon_scratch: If the artifacts are no good why not give them back so we can have them check out :dontknow: We try to follow the laws of the state or country but most make no sense and it can cost us more in money and time. Its no wonder that some hunters just do what they have to do to prove their case then deal with the land owners later.

Attachments

• 003s.JPG
    003s.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,639
  • 003s.JPG
    003s.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,557

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
Don't know why you are trying to make a connection with vikings AND Sinclair. The viking incursions would have been much earlier (early 1000s, 11th century). The Templar association would be dated in the early 1300s (14th century). And the Scots/Irish were more red-headed than the (mainly blond) vikings.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it has to be a Viking ship because it was buried with rocks and no one else did this. Then the Mikmag Indians said this happen around the 1390's and during that time the Templar ships could not travel the high seas so they traveled with the Vikings that had better ships for the open seas. I am not trying to make the connection with Prince Henry Sinclare it just fits. This has to be the ship he was on and so was the Templar Treasure. The location is good, the dates work, and this story is better than some that I have read.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
If you can't work the island, can you work the water ? There appears to be a shipwreck there.

itmaiden

FinderKeeper said:
Well it has to be a Viking ship because it was buried with rocks and no one else did this. Then the Mikmag Indians said this happen around the 1390's and during that time the Templar ships could not travel the high seas so they traveled with the Vikings that had better ships for the open seas. I am not trying to make the connection with Prince Henry Sinclare it just fits. This has to be the ship he was on and so was the Templar Treasure. The location is good, the dates work, and this story is better than some that I have read.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello FinderKeeper,

Congratulation!
You did great job and my opinion is that it could really be a Viking ship. I have done some researches in the Caribbean and in Mexico in the past regarding this topic and there are some theories that Viking ships could sail (better said blown away from the course) even to this region between 1000 -1200. One theory even says that Quetzalcoatl, or Kukulkan for the Mayas, the feathered (plumy) God, was in the fact serpent or dragon symbol on the bows of drakkars, Viking ships......

Best regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No , the state says you need a permit for under water to. The first permit is for research, class A permit. Then if you can prove your case you can ask for a Treasure Trove Permit but none are being given out now and the treasure hunting laws are about to change soon.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
So, you travelled to NS and made a trip to the island, but there was no sign of the object pictured in the Google Earth image?

Hard to believe there was nothing there. The only thing that gets me is that it looks to perfect to be 600 years old! Is it possible we are looking at another capsized vessel that was stranded there? I would go talk to some local fishermen. The object was obviously there and anyone who has travelled by the island during that time would have seen it.

You just don't find intact ancient wooden vessels just sitting on a rock pile that have been exposed to the elements for 600+ years!

Good Luck,

RGecy

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, No Europeans Before Columbus...................

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FinderKeeper said:
The rocks might be balast :P

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...N&rlz=1T4IRFA_enGB297GB297&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1

SS

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sunken collector said:
Not true - Vikings came to Newfoundland. Why not Nova Scotia?

I didn't say I believed that; that's the archaeologist's dogma. You know, those taxpayer funded guys that also want to stop treasure hunting and even us finding nickles?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Finderkeeper you have to understand how these archaeologists think. They would rather have the artifacts rot away and disappear other than have some uneducated diver keep them. Go back there and grab whatever you can and don't tell them. Thats what everybody is doing now since they passed those stupid laws.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGecy I agree with you and that would be the way to go if there was something of value there and I think not. If the ship was buried and I see no other way for it to end up under the island. I believe the treasure was moved to Oak Island 2 miles away. I don't think they left anything behind :icon_scratch: BUT their was a Treasure Hunt on the island back in 1830 and it looks like they found something. Click on the link below and check it out. Hobson Island was all so called Hobson Nose Island.

http://www.chesterbound.com/Oak Island/Hobson nose.htm

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow this is facinating! To bad (and it seems) that the people in charge here in my fair country come from the same school the guys in FLA do.

I could go on and on what the problems are... but you all know that already.

Jeez man, poss. Viking ship remains... but dont touch, thanks for what you found (packed into a box and disappears) now go away. How sad.

Hope it can still work out differently for you Finder.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi C.T. , No I haven't given up yet. I still have a few things in the works to prove our case so we can get the credit for locating this ship . If we could of dug we had hoped to find coconut fiber or wood to have it carbon dated then if it came back around 1390's that would connect it to the Oak Island Treasure and Prince Henry Sinclair.

Ulfrik

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laughable, but prove me wrong

Any luck with any of this?

If not, i'm not surprised. Having grown up in Chester, fishing Mahone Bay, with family on Big Tancook, and having set foot on Hobsons I seriously doubt you'll find a Viking connection.

1- The size of the island. To be at the level it is now and the distance was totally not worth it for the Vikings to bury it that deep and make that big of a mound that one could build a light house on it...you'd have to ferry the rocks from the shore out there or have modern equiment.
2- Totally wrong time period. 1300's? are you serious? Viking age has been accepted to end around 1066. Even with segregation from Europe 200 years is too much to ask of the tradition of burying ships in such a manner.

However, I seriously hope you prove me wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread