Golden Beaver Shipwreak off of the South Carolina Coast circa 1736-1740

A

atudorquene

Greetings, I am new to this forum, but I thought it would be a good place to start to search if anyone has ever heard of the above mentioned shipwreck -- Golden Beaver Shipwreck off of the South Carolina Coast circa 1736-1740. Supposedly a princely family from Germany was moving to the New World in this ship with their familial wealth and it sank off the South Carolina Coast with all but one child surviving. If you have not heard of this wreck, can you point me to some agency that might have listings of wrecks off the South Carolina coast in the 1700s? Best Regards, Atudorquene

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Re: Golden Beaver Shipwreck off of the South Carolina Coast circa 1736-1740

Atudorquene,
First, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information and friendly people here. We are glad to have you.

The Golden Beaver is a new one to me, but the first source that comes to mind would be Lee Spence's Shipwrecks of South Carolina and Georgia 1520-1865. It is a very well organised compilation. The wrecks are listed by year and you should be able to find a copy of the book at most public libraries in the Charleston area. You can also find a copy by using the interlibrary loan program.

I have been anxious for Lee to release another printing. The copies are rare.

If you cannot find a copy, the next thing would be to do some actual research. Go to the Charleston Library and start sifting through newpapers from the time period. That's where you will find your best information.

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

OP
OP
A

atudorquene

Dear Robert:

Thank you for the warm welcome and the quick response. I will go check out my local University Library and see if they have the book you mention, or perhaps newspapers on microfiche. Thanks ever so much for the valuble lead.

Best Regards,

Atudorquene

G

gibrown

Hello,

My name is Gina Brown, The Golden Beaver wrecked in Sept Of 1738. I too would love to find documents regarding the ship wreck. The one remaining royal survivor of the shipwreck was Hans Devauld Von der berg (Now Funderburk) His father Johann Michael Von der berg and wife Princess Elisabeth Ann of berg. Are my 7th great grandparents. Hans was picked up by passing ship "The Thistle" I also have lots of information on this family

Gina Brown

Cablava

May 24, 2005
The ship sailed from Hamburg, so there may be some articles in the germen newspapers and archives of the wrecking.

The rescuing ship docked at Charleston, so I would start there and try to find details of the Thistle's rescue and work backwards to the ship wreck. If you can find the general location where she wrecked from the Thistle then you can narrow your search.

I have posted two sites below with family details and mention of the wreck but no real info to go with.

HANS DEVAULD FUNDERBURK;

He was rescued by a ship (probably the Thistle) carrying German immigrants, and brought to Charleston, SC, and sold as an indentured servant to a planter to pay passage.
This may have been at Orangeburg, where a colony of Germans had settled earlier.
After some years, he "skipped bond" and headed north over the Charleston-Salisbury inland road to (what is now) Lancaster County, and became associated with Titus Laney, an Irish immigrant who settled on Wildcat Creek.
In 1755, when he was 30, he married Titus's daughter, Catherine Laney, who was 15.

http://www.westberry-moses.com/main/funderburk/funderburk01.html

http://members.aol.com/daisymaepet/Funderburg.html

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Cablava,
You always surprise me! Great information!

Atudorquene,
This should give you good start to do some serious research. I hope you find some good info.

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

muddawber

Aug 20, 2022
Hello,

My name is Gina Brown, The Golden Beaver wrecked in Sept Of 1738. I too would love to find documents regarding the ship wreck. The one remaining royal survivor of the shipwreck was Hans Devauld Von der berg (Now Funderburk) His father Johann Michael Von der berg and wife Princess Elisabeth Ann of berg. Are my 7th great grandparents. Hans was picked up by passing ship "The Thistle" I also have lots of information on this family

Gina Brown
I am related to the Von Der Bergs. My Grandmother was a Funderburk. I'm trying to find any information I can on my family.

Myrapolson

May 10, 2023
Hey, it looks like they were also my 9th great grandparents. If you would like to exchange info my email is [email protected]
Hi,
I am Myra Polson and my great grandmother was Becky Moore sister of BC Moore who married Henry Funderburke.
Wade Funderburke has written two books on this family. I am building the family tree on ancestry.com under Polson family. I would any information you would like to share with me.

Myrapolson

May 10, 2023
Dear Robert:

Thank you for the warm welcome and the quick response. I will go check out my local University Library and see if they have the book you mention, or perhaps newspapers on microfiche. Thanks ever so much for the valuble lead.

Best Regards,

Atudorquene
Greetings, I am new to this forum, but I thought it would be a good place to start to search if anyone has ever heard of the above mentioned shipwreck -- Golden Beaver Shipwreck off of the South Carolina Coast circa 1736-1740. Supposedly a princely family from Germany was moving to the New World in this ship with their familial wealth and it sank off the South Carolina Coast with all but one child surviving. If you have not heard of this wreck, can you point me to some agency that might have listings of wrecks off the South Carolina coast in the 1700s? Best Regards, Atudorquene
I am Myra Polson. My mother was

Myrapolson

May 10, 2023
I am Myra Polson. My mother was
I am Myra Polson and my greatgrandfather was Henry Funderburke and my grand father was Ira Brutus Funderburk. I am building my family tree in ancestry.com. also, Wade Funderburk has written 2 books on this family. His daughter, Sloan Funderburke was continuing the work. I am trying to entering all the information from these book. Your information has been quite help. Also I live downtown Charleston SC so I will check out this information

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread