Shipwrecks
Looking forward to reading it. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Lauras book.jpg
    Lauras book.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,049
E

elle

Roberto, thank you kindly for your well wishes, and also big thanks to Tom.
You both never need to search for treasure since you already have hearts of gold!

I plan to continue writing so that all facts of the 1715 Fleet
are truthfully documented for future generations.

If I may ask one favor from everyone?
Rob Westrick, who helped me greatly with this book, is in Ohio now because his mother is
extremely ill. Would everyone please help by saying a prayer for her?
I truly appreciate it!

Laura :icon_sunny:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Can't wait to get your book and prayers are on the way.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
elle is this book about ---the "maria galante" a smalish english owned trading sloop / schooner type vessel (that the govenor of jamacia --HAMILTON was reportly a 25% stake holder of according to the capt of the vessel when "taken") if so it wa taken off of portobello by Echeverz 's raiding pataches looking for "illegal" traders ---- while he sat awaiting treasure , Echeverz sent his pataches out "raiding" looking for "illegal traders" to "take" *** and seems that in cuba Echeverz sold it / dealt it to Ubilla who used it as his "personal" vessel in his fleet ? ( since Echeverz had the vessel yet doesn't have it with his fleet upon leaving havana , and Ubilla suddenly "gains" a smallish vessel of the same type in cuba -- it becomes clear what occured -- the vessel was shifted from from one fleet (Echeverz) to the other (Ubilla)

while the dutch prize ( Olandesa / la Holandesa = Dutch / the dutch) and the french prize ( "El Ciervo"= the stag)- vessels of Echeverzs fleet are well known not much has been said of the little known --"english prize" vessel "Maria Galante" that was later on Ubillas "personal" vessel -- if so it should be a great read.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Looks very interesting Laura. Just ordered my copy from Amazon. Should be here this week as it ony has to jump to Michigan.

E

elle

Thank you everyone for acknowledging the book and for
all the support concerning Rob's mother. I know there is power in prayer,
and at this specific time, she could use all the spiritual help and prayers that are offered.

Ivan, how is your ankle doing? I hope it has finally healed. The book is on the
Marigalera, a name which the Spanish never deviated from. In all the archives, I have
never seen the title, Maria Galante. But yes, I know what you are referring to. :icon_sunny:

Jim, you are so lucky to live in a great diving location!
Did you ever go on the Lycoming wreck that is east of Pelee?
It is on my list of dives to do one day.

Thanks again!

L

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the name i used for it is just english varation on the name "maria galante "****-- mary in spanish is "maria" --and ----galera means basically a "sloop" type designed vessel in spanish . -- so it would be basically the "mary" --mari * type of vessel galera "sloop"--- mari galera--- marigalera ( if ran together in old style spanish hand writing ) when its properly translated roughly means "the (class or type of vessel) sloop (named) mary " -- my foots doing a lot better , thanks for asking --your book sounds very intereseting indeed, I might haver to snag a copy of it, see what other tidbits of of info you might have dredged up . :read2:--- love ya, Ivan.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elle, 10 years of intensive, paranormal investigation, proved to me that coordinated thoughts, such as prayer, do have a strong effect, particularly if you are able to find a point to concentrate on, so I suggest thinking of Robert, his name, if nothing else.

It is about time that you published it, sheesh, I was beginning to think that you were as put-it-offish as I am.

Speaking of putting it off, have you recovered the Bell in the river at Tubares?

Don Jose

E

elle

Joseph, no way am I a put-er-off-er!
For the next book, I'm working hard and trying to keep it under 500 pages
because the family is yelling at me that I have too much information.

I wish I could find that bell one day and put it in a museum for the entire world to study in awe!
I was at another three-hundred-year-old mission this summer, though, doing research.
The archaeological finds were incredible and I wanted to share my favorite artifact that was on display.
On the church floor, a quartz cross was found. Since I study Indian relics,
I truly appreciated the workmanship that went into this piece. It was actually made by a native who
used the same pressure flaking techinques that were used to make projectile points.
I've made replica arrowheads before and it is not as easy as it looks. This was one of the most beautiful
pieces I have ever seen.
100_1044-Copy.jpg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO Elle luv, that is indeed excellent work. As for the bell, remember what my Lacandon Indian friends in Quintana Roo told me " No one has seen tomorrows sun". 'IF' we could get together on it, it would have to be in early June. It must lie below tubares now, hopefully it hasn't migrated in the canyon of the Petates. Interesting creatures.

Don Jose de La Mancha

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Hi Elle,
No, I havent had the chance to dive the Lycoming wreck as of yet. I play around a lot in the St. Clair River, some great bottle and clay pipe finds, and the inland lakes. Once in awhile I can make it over to Lake Huron. I am looking forward to our next family trip to Put-In-Bay, Ohio, with our boat, as we pass Pt. Pelee and cut across the western basin and travel right over the battleground for the naval fighting of the war of 1812 in this area.

As for Rob, I send my prayers to him and his mom. I meet his parents a few years ago when visitng with him/them in Ohio. I have known Rob for many years and have dove with him in florida. We just talked a few days ago and are suppose to be getting together for a late lunch while he is at his parents.

Just got workd from Amazon that my book has been shipped. I just hope the estimated delivery date is wrong, Aug. 30, :crybaby2:. I am dying to sit on my boat and read it cover to cover. :read2:

elle said:
Thank you everyone for acknowledging the book and for
all the support concerning Rob's mother. I know there is power in prayer,
and at this specific time, she could use all the spiritual help and prayers that are offered.

Jim, you are so lucky to live in a great diving location!
Did you ever go on the Lycoming wreck that is east of Pelee?
It is on my list of dives to do one day.

Thanks again!

L

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laura,

Congrats on your book, looking forward to it and the ones to follow.
I always knew you had it in you :thumbsup: even from the Treasure Shores day :wink:
I am sure the next book will bring some very interesting research data from all your years of hard work and with that it shall bring a fresh new view of the history of the 1715 Fleet and how she came to be.

Our hat is off to you :notworthy:

PS. Say hello to your dad for me, I hope him a speedy recovery.

Your old hunting buddy,
Trez

E

elle

Hi Relicdude07...you are very kind!

PyrateJim...I ordered something from Amazon recently and also got the last
day of the month, but it came within the week. Your book will be on your doorstep
this Thursday or Friday.

Jim, when Rob is visiting again, under better circumstances, you both should come dive with me
in Lake Michigan. I will email Harry Zych first and hopefully get permission from his
Lady Elgin Foundation to go out...chance of a lifetime!

The story behind this historic wrecksite grabs my whole being like the 1715 fleet does with me.
Almost exactly 150 years ago, right before the Civil War, the Lady Elgin steamer cruised from Milwaukee
to Chicago. Military men and their entire families traveled to hear a speech given by Stephen A. Douglas
because they were then fighting hard in the stand against slavery.
When the ship voyaged home that night, a schooner's bowsprit plowed
into the Lady Elgin and she eventually sunk.
Can you believe over 500 passengers died? Survivors rode into shore on the backs of dead cows
and this tragedy left over 1,000 orphans in the city of Milwaukee.
This dive would be anticipated by myself to respect and honor these people
who had a great vision and who wanted to make a difference so many years ago.
I know looking at the remnants of a wreck is thrilling, but I think the story
behind the remnants gives me more shivers of excitement.

Trez...I plan on getting my father back into tip-top shape.
He deserves to find a gold one on the sands of Treasure Shores one day. Thanks
for the well wishes!

Laura :)

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Hi Laura,
I agree with you 100% on Amazon. I am looking forward to it this week. Being that I am off this weekend and am hoping to be on our boat, it will be agreat read. Especially since I have a personal interest in this.

Diving on the Lady Elgin would be great. I am familiar with her history and would love to see her first hand and pay my respects to those that perished in this maritime disaster. Have you ever dove the "caissons" just outside the Chicago River? That is another site that is on the top of my list.

elle said:
Hi Relicdude07...you are very kind!

PyrateJim...I ordered something from Amazon recently and also got the last
day of the month, but it came within the week. Your book will be on your doorstep
this Thursday or Friday.

Jim, when Rob is visiting again, under better circumstances, you both should come dive with me
in Lake Michigan. I will email Harry Zych first and hopefully get permission from his
Lady Elgin Foundation to go out...chance of a lifetime!

Laura :)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you for the copy of your book Laura, got it yesterday and what I've read so far is very interesting. Best of luck!

Jason

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I got your book today you sent me --its a great read I must say.-- it sets in stone several things I have long thought about the vessel ( a lot of which i posted in the past in various post on this board )-- original ownership *(who made the vessel in the beginning / who owned when it was "taken"as a "prize")-basically the how and why it came to be in the "fleet" of echeverz in the first place --the reasons behind why it had so very little "offical information" written down about its "capture" -- and then the "swap over" of how it came to be in Ubillas fleet --- plus the fact althought small in size --its "importance" treasure wize and where its location would logically be :wink: :icon_thumright:

nice bit of work -- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread