Grassy Key, Florida. Might be of interest to some?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also posted this in treasure leads but thought it should maybe go here. Might be nothing, might be something? I figure you guys would know.

Back in the mid 2000's I was staying at the Bonefish Resort on Grassy Key in the Florida Keys. I was actually there fly fishing but one day I took a small boat out about 100 yards straight east of the resort to do some snorkeling. After I was done snorkeling I allowed the boat to drift a bit, maybe a hundred yards south or so, and as the boat was drifting I spotted an old wooden mast with some very heavy rope (maybe 2" to 3" stuff) wrapped around it sticking out of the sand, (at that time there was maybe a couple feet of mast showing, certainly no more then that). As I recall, I was there in either Jan. or Feb. and I remember the owner of the place telling us that the previous storm season had brought a lot of bad storms and rough seas into the keys. The thing I remember most about the mast was that it was very pitted and rotten looking, nearly hollow in the center, and the rope that remained appeared to be incrusted. I'd guess the mast was about 10 inches to a foot across, but I really can't say for sure. If you're in the area it might be worth checking out, I'm guessing I was maybe in 5 to 8 feet of water when I saw it, but I can't be sure. The other thing I noticed, it appeared that the mast section was sticking out of a large oval shaped area of sea grass, if that holds any significant meaning? Just thought I'd pass this info along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread