Portuguese armada now attacking Spain!!!!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• man0war.jpg
    man0war.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,382

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
:o I have had those things wrapped around my legs and torso while surfing. It pretty much felt like I was being eaten alive by red hot maggots. LOL...that's about the best way I can describe it. The body cramps and nausea were pretty memorable as well.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Ossy,

Are you referring to the Irukandji Jellyfish or a man o' war ? I've read that the Irukandji are the most deadly down under as well as the rest of the world.

Pcola

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
PcolaBoy said:
:o I have had those things wrapped around my legs and torso while surfing. It pretty much felt like I was being eaten alive by red hot maggots. LOL...that's about the best way I can describe it. The body cramps and nausea were pretty memorable as well.
Scott,

Same here! I was surfing and had one wrap around my chest and down my left leg. I felt pretty much paralized and barely made it out of the water. Had a limp for a couple days and severe welts and scabbing for over two weeks!

Nasty little creature!

Robert

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Robert,

That sounds about right. It's sort of funny because the first time I got really hit by one, I came home and my mom thought I had gotten some sort of tribal tattoos on my neck and back due to the swirled, whip-like pattern. The pain was really bad, but the nausea and body aches were the worst part for me since they usually lasted 3-4 days in each case. On the first go around, my mom mistakenly treated it like a jelly fish sting and put vinegar on it. That is probably the worst thing you can do for a man-o'-war sting aside from purposely putting another one on you.

Pcola

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another problem is overfishing, which depletes stocks of tuna, swordfish and other species that are natural predators of jellyfish.

This is a huge problem, and could be completely prevented with good management.

Maybe we can get used to eating jellyfish...........

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hit several times, and every time the intial contact felt strangely identical to an electric shock, followed by increased heart rate and the incredible pain.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man-0-war dont bother me anymore.Im immune to their stinging tentacles.When i was younger living in hawaii.I got stung to many times to remember.Meat tenderizer is the best to make the burning and stinging go away.I guess i got stung so many times that my body is used to them now.Fire coral doesnt bother me either.I like popping their bubbles with my dive knife:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread