Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Sads . There should never be any hard feeling on this forum . We are all having the same hobby . Some have been at it longer than others but the ones that have been at it longer should teach the new be's . I have been diving with Hans Hass . Yes , he just died ( at 92 ) . We were working on a sub-marine way back in 1957/58 ( Singapore ) .Need I say more ? Cornelius

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sads . There should never be any hard feeling on this forum . We are all having the same hobby . Some have been at it longer than others but the ones that have been at it longer should teach the new be's . I have been diving with Hans Hass . Yes , he just died ( at 92 ) . We were working on a sub-marine way back in 1957/58 ( Singapore ) .Need I say more ? Cornelius

Thanks for the reply, normally when someone asks "who do I think I am?" I tell 'em straight and quick. However, this would be pointless in your case as I would then look like a bigger A...e than normal😊
I hope the Sub venture went well in Singapore I was there in 1990. I looked for a U boat in the UK outside Plymouth in the 80's for about 5 years straight, no luck but great diving looking for it. I believe the majority of the ones we were looking for went down in the minefield at the southern tip of Cornwall, they never made it as far East as we were looking.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Tale of Jean Laffite's treasure - Yucatan

My tale of Jean Laffite happened 35 years ago while I was living in the port town of Progresso in the Yucatan Peninsula.
I had family connections in the Mexican Government there and was studying Archaeology of the ancient Mayans.
More precisely ancient Mayan Cenotes (wells) and the ritual of tossing in of gold for the appeasement to their Gods.
The American mid 19th century John Stephens had dredged the Cenote at Chichen Itza and recovered $2 million in gold and this find was foremost in my mind.
I had located other isolated Cenotes and wished to treasure hunt the same. (another story).
The Mexican government loaned me their helicopter to research the Gulf of Mexico from Merida up to the Rio la Gatos.
We set down in between at Dzilam de Bravo where I heard the most interesting tale of Jean Laffite.
It was here at a grave that the locals told me the story that in the early 1800's Jean had arrived by his ship the "Pride" deathly ill with Yellow Fever seeking help.
He was stated to have eventually died and was buried there and the locals were proud to show me where his grave was located.
it was always curious to me why this location and what he may have been doing in this remote part of the world.
The best I could surmise is that he was driven out of America once his usefulness was achieved and was searching for a location to conceal his treasure still close to his American routes.
At Progresso, I inquired from the locals and the secret was of an island just 17 kilometers from Progresso (on the map) where when fisherman did risk going there Spanish coins were found on the beach.
At that time I heard the Mexican Government declared this island to be off limits to all.
To this date I always thought of boating out to this island for a pick nick.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
My tale of Jean Laffite happened 35 years ago while I was living in the port town of Progresso in the Yucatan Peninsula.
I had family connections in the Mexican Government there and was studying Archaeology of the ancient Mayans.
More precisely ancient Mayan Cenotes (wells) and the ritual of tossing in of gold for the appeasement to their Gods.
The American mid 19th century John Stephens had dredged the Cenote at Chichen Itza and recovered $2 million in gold and this find was foremost in my mind.
I had located other isolated Cenotes and wished to treasure hunt the same. (another story).
The Mexican government loaned me their helicopter to research the Gulf of Mexico from Merida up to the Rio la Gatos.
We set down in between at Dzilam de Bravo where I heard the most interesting tale of Jean Laffite.
It was here at a grave that the locals told me the story that in the early 1800's Jean had arrived by his ship the "Pride" deathly ill with Yellow Fever seeking help.
He was stated to have eventually died and was buried there and the locals were proud to show me where his grave was located.
it was always curious to me why this location and what he may have been doing in this remote part of the world.
The best I could surmise is that he was driven out of America once his usefulness was achieved and was searching for a location to conceal his treasure still close to his American routes.
At Progresso, I inquired from the locals and the secret was of an island just 17 kilometers from Progresso (on the map) where when fisherman did risk going there Spanish coins were found on the beach.
At that time I heard the Mexican Government declared this island to be off limits to all.
To this date I always thought of boating out to this island for a pick nick.
Robot, Great Story. I think you might be onto something.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Norman Scott went to the Yucatan with his company Global Explorations Inc. back in the 60's. He had the Purex Company dump barrels of chemicals in a cenote to clear up the murky water.

Discovering History - Orlando Sentinel

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the link
Interesting guy "Norman Scott"
Kind of treasurer hunter I would want in my corner if I was invited to search "Oak Island"

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell, what projects did you work on with Norm? Can you elaborate?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread