Help with treasure shipwrecks from 1502 - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with treasure shipwrecks from 1502

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    es
    Aug 2008
    229 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Help with treasure shipwrecks from 1502

Quote Originally Posted by Bobadilla
    Alexandre,

Do not you happen to have some info about Portuguese slave ships with a cargo of elephant tusks that wrecked around Hispaniola Island in 16th and 17th century? Thanks in advance....

Regards,
    Lobo
    Lobo,
    in 1609 a French ship wrecked in Jamaica with ivory. Recovered 225 quintales (some 20,000 pounds).
    In 1749, a British frigate of slave trade wrecked somewhere in the Caribbean.
    VV

do
    Sep 2006
    Dominican Republic
    63 times

Gracias Claudio!

us
    Oct 2010
    South Florida near that place
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bobadilla
    Hello,

Recently I was doing some deeper research on lost Bobadilla fleet. It was quite famous, the first huge Spanish loss of treasure ships in the New World. The fleet of 31 ships (some historians say 27, some 29....) left Santo Domingo harbor on the 4th of July 1502 and after 40 hours of sailing they were hit by unusually strong hurricane. Most of the ships were lost with the loss of everything on board including human lives. Over 500 men perished, among them Francisco Bobadilla, rebel Francisco Roldan taken to Spain in chains together with his followers and also Indian cacique Guarionex. They were on board of the flagship of this fleet called "El Dorado". The real name of this newly constructed nao of 130 tons was "Santa Maria de la Antigua". Potter gave the name "El Dorado" to this ship in 1975 because of huge amount of gold lost with her, including giant gold nugget of 32 pounds (that some coverted in solid gold table). Harry Rieseberg named this ship "Golden Hinde" in 1962, but the name "El Dorado" prevailed since then.

Now my question:
    I found some entries that the following treasure ships were lost in the waters of Hispaniola Island also in 1502 - "La Santa Rosa" with bronze cannons, 1,2 million in gold, 300,000 in silver and small chest of gems, then the ship "El Julio", lost with bronze cannons, 750,000 in gold, 200,000 in rare gems and art objects and finally the ship "El Prestigio", with bronze cannons, 300,000 in gold, 1,2 million in silver and with gold and silver artifacts. But NONE of these ships was part of the ill-fated Bobadilla fleet according to historical documents. In 1502, practically all the ultramar business of Spain was organized through the major Hispaniola harbor, Santo Domingo and the treasures of that year was loaded on board of that fleet. It is highly improbable for me that other three Spanish naos with so much treasure on board were dispatched from here the same year and lost as well, but I might be wrong. That's why I am asking you guys for help - anyone could tell me something more about these three shipwrecks? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Lobo (Bobadilla)
    If I'm not mistaken, and I am often for one reason or another. Deep Blue Marine just signed contracts/permits with the government of the D.R. to search the coast for this fleet. Not a bad deal for 50% stake in recovery.
    There is a river of wealth that runs through the world.
    Many can see if from atop the mountains.
    Others can almost reach it from the edge.
    And a few lucky are swimming in it.
    The secret is those swimming in it also CONTROL ACCESS.

do
    Sep 2006
    Dominican Republic
    63 times

Hi Slugrusher,
    Deep Blue Marine signed the contract with DR government about one and half months ago, it is truth. But as I know they are working in different area on the north, not in the area of possible sinking of "El Dorado", though I also know that Bobadilla fleet is one of their possible targets for the future. By the way, this lost fleet is my preferred one......

Regards,
    Lobo (Bobadilla)

us
    Oct 2010
    South Florida near that place
    6 times

Yep, I knew they were recovering "Le Scipion". I know that's taking a lot of their operating funds. I heard they'd be exploring the "straights". It would be a nice find indeed.
    There is a river of wealth that runs through the world.
    Many can see if from atop the mountains.
    Others can almost reach it from the edge.
    And a few lucky are swimming in it.
    The secret is those swimming in it also CONTROL ACCESS.

do
    Sep 2006
    Dominican Republic
    63 times

Deep Blue Marine is not working on "Scipion" any more. There is nothing left. The original plan to do an underwater park around this shipwreck was not possible to fulfill - dirty water all the time, waves, bad weather, sharks. Deep Blue Marine team explores a galleon wreck on the northern coast at present.

Regards,
    Lobo (Bobadilla)

do
    Feb 2021
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hello Lobo
    We should meet in person (somewhere in La Altagracia) Please contact me at +1 829 957 1147

Best regards
    Djambo

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3669 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    while there are wrecks that have little to no evidence other than scant hand me down knowledge out there --- I for one do not want to invest lots of effort , time or money on them just to find out its a wild goose chase to start with me ---give me good honest historical documents and sea charts / maps to work with any day of the week --this is the professional standard to go by ---however once has done aqll the painstaking research and translation of documents --one must jealously guard the hard won knowledge until one gets paid to share it
    PetesPockets55 and sphillips like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links