How do you even get started doing this?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I rolled over 30 years not too long ago and I'm totally done with the path my life's been on. I'm not a 9-5 guy.

There's been this odd constant in my life, ever since I was a little kid. Treasure. When I was 7, I was given a subscription to a treasure hunting magazine, got my first metal detector as a little kid- my entire life, it's occupied my thoughts.

As a boy in 1986, my mother took me to a coin show that featured a number of Atocha artifacts. There was a film on Mel Fisher and his crew, life, etc... I was totally enchanted. I do distinctly recall at that time, the cobs were selling for a considerable bit more (at that show, anyway) than they are today. I picked up a decent Grade 2 Atocha coin a while back and wear it almost every day.

Anyway, rambling now. It's time for a life change.
Where does one begin, as far as getting into this as a profession? Yes, I completely understand the associated risks (both in terms of personal safety and hard living) and I'm prepared for that. The worst case scenario is that I try it for a while and if I can't take it, I punt, but I don't think I could lay comfortably on my death bed, knowing that I never tried.

Should I pursue a related degree?
Obviously, diving certification is a gimme... How do I go about this?
I positively *love* research and am quite good at it... Can anyone suggest what skillsets I should develop in this regard, as far as researching wrecks, etc?

I want to do this, I will do this, but I'd like some advice from the guys who know what they're talking about. I'm perfectly willing to start at the bottom 'shoveling shit' to get my foot in the door, but to be honest, I don't even know what the 'door' I'm looking for is.

Sorry this was long, thanks for listening, any constructive help appreciated.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go get a Library card .. find out where the Reference and History Sections are in your Local Branch, Main Downtown Library and Local University Research Libraries. Many of these are now online -- which means you are going to need a fast internet link. At least High Speed or DSL Service. (about $50 a month in most places) Research is the key, it costs money to drive anywhere, motel stay for the night and eats. Try to find out everything you can first on the internet, great money saver.

Inobvious, but look in the Yellow Pages; Every category you can think of. Just remember, You have to do business with people who need something done and are willing to pay for it. Think recovery of information, personal property, lost items; things insurance companies would be willing to pay to recover.

Use the library as a resource both local and nation wide. Find out access to card catalog by way of internet, that gets you book information from everywhere. I use Houston Public library Cloud Browser -- check it out. The ONLINE University of Texas map collection is awesome.

If you are going to buy any books, start with Half Price Books etc. and sale books at Library. Great money saver and fast way to accumulate working library.

Get a two drawer filing cabinet, and pendaflex file folders/hanging-rail inserts for the drawers.
Get a two shelf bookcase and couple three ring notebooks. Check used office furniture places.
Get a couple packages of plain white typing paper, five or so sets of index dividers, a three hole punch (for notebooks) and filing folders.
Write everything down and file it. Make simple standard forms with two lines on top and paragraph of information text below .. detailed drawings or information tree sketch below that.

Top Text Line 1 -- Broad Major Category Information ("Treasure Hunting - Shipwreck - Lake Michigan")
Top Text Line 2 -- Detailed Item and Information Description ("ABC Wreck - Location and Cargo")
Just remember Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why.

Here in Texas -- Houston, Galveston area -- ran across two books, Treasures of Galveston Bay and Texas Treasure Tales. Listed a table of ships lost on Texas coast from times gone by to present.
-- Use online book searches to find information -- Amazon keyword searches.
-- Do not overlook the obvious, Urban Treasure Hunting Manuals etc. that pop up.; some real good ideas there.
-- Treasure is where you find it -- whether it is a garage sale, coin roll hunting, or doing a contract job for an insurance company.
-- Look into search and rescue support, may be fire or police departments. Find a day job that gives you time off to do what you want to do. Everything from Utility Line Locating (and Marking Service) to EMT Emergency Medical Technician.... Check into local Junior College and/or Training Academy as well as University Archeology Activities.
If you want to be associated with the water, the Coast Guard, dredging operations, and tugboat crews know what is going on. Look for local port website and follow up on companies working in area and their projects. Never know, you might end up on crew surveying property for ancient artifacts before they start construction project.

Check out where the Historical Society (probably mostly photos) or Archive Records (property records and local history books) are kept for your community or area you wish to hunt in.
Look for Local History Books, Travel Guides and Recorded History of Settlers moving into area.

Electronics does not care how cold the water is, YOU DO. I have seen everything from a waterproof TV camera on a pole to underwater ROVs (Remote Operated Vehicles). You can build your own for a fraction of what it would cost for commercial units.

Yahoo: Arabia Riverboat

Arabia Steamboat Museum
Come visit the wonders of the Steamboat Arabia at the museum in the city market area of Kansas City, MO.
www.1856.com - Cached

Arabia (steamboat) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Early history|Sinking|Rediscovery|TodayThe steamboat Arabia was a side wheeler steamboat which hit a snag in the Missouri River and sank near what today is Parkville, Missouri, on September 5, 1856. It was rediscovered in 1988 by a team of researchers. Today, the...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabia_(steamboat) - Cached

Yahoo: famous shipwrecks lake michigan

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
Maritime museum in upper peninsula Michigan on Whitefish Point with an overnight program and virtual tours available on their website.
www.shipwreckmuseum.com - Cached

Search ResultsMSRA - Michigan Shipwreck Research Associates
Explore Great Lakes Shipwrecks with Michigan Shipwreck Research Associates
www.michiganshipwrecks.org - Cached

www.michiganshipwrecks.org/diving.htm - Cached

Wisconsin's Great Lakes Shipwrecks - Explore Shipwrecks ...
Lake Michigan Wrecks. Lake Superior Wrecks. Map. Name: Vessel Type: Year ... If you have trouble accessing this page or wish to request a. reasonable accommodation ...
www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/explore_lakemichigan.cfm - Cached

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'll address the diving aspect as I have quite a bit of experience. I used work at a CDC instructing students pursuing their dive instructor certification. First and foremost, you need to pursue recreational certification. Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver. Focus on specialties such as Wreck Diver, Deep Diver, Search and Recovery, UW Navigation, etc.

Once you've invested the time and effort in obtaining these certifications: Dive, Dive, and Dive some more. You'll gain experience and confidence. Don't shun difficult conditions. Eventually, you'll progress technical diving. Some will say that Technical Diving isn't necessary, but the skills and confidence gained is invaluable. Sure, you won't have to calculate a bottom mix of helium diving on shallow reefs, and you won't face having to deal with dual tanks or side-mount techniques. But you will learn to approach dive planning, equipment, safety, and contingency plans with a technical mindset. At a minimum, I would train on Enriched Air (Nitrox) and gas blending. I learned old school of partial pressure calculation on blending gas. We would pick up a bottle of O2, do our calculations, dump in pure O2, then top off with compressed air to get our desired blend. Comes in handy if you are in a remote outpost that doesn't have a state of the art gas blending fill station.

When you feel comfortable with you skills, then latch on with some lease owners for their summer diving season. Be prepared for hard work. and most importantly, Enjoy what you are doing. Without it, you are just treading water in the pool of life.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wonderful replies all. Thanks so much. Wishful Thinker, that post was gold. Sincerest thanks.

Diver_Down, St. Augustine Beach is my hometown. It's where I moved from when I came to Chicago. I'll probably be back down there next year, working on a for-profit online city guide (MyStAugustine.com). I remember many days, after big noreasters, wandering St. Aug Beach and picking up relics and artifacts and random this or thats (never found anything great, but some cool stuff ;D ) No doubt, there are a lot of wrecks out there.

Any good resources in NE Florida?
I also own some property in Crystal River, on a privately held island just off the coast of Homosassa. There are a *ton* of Indian Artifacts on the island. Are there any historic salvage opportunities in the upper-central Gulf Coast area?

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello PokerPlayer

Get your certification and then come down and spend a weekend or more with us on the Seahunter. See how you like it and then we could talk about something more permanent.

Seahunter

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seahunter said:
Hello PokerPlayer

Get your certification and then come down and spend a weekend or more with us on the Seahunter. See how you like it and then we could talk about something more permanent.

Seahunter

If you aren't pulling my leg, I know what I'm doing the instant I get certified. I'm perfectly willing to do the nastiest, most undesirable work there is, whatever that may be.

I'll arrange dive classes later this afternoon.

:hello2: :hello2:

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello PokerPlayer

I am not pulling your leg and we all do the same thing on the Seahunter. Except for maybe swimming the anchor lines at the end of the day and unhooking them from the mooring buoy's. That usually goes to te youngest, healthiest guy on the boat.

Seahunter

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Hi PokerPlayer, the only painful part of this business is the operation...when they drill the holesaw into your head, and suck out half your brain..... :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, so I've gotten info on diving lessons and will be signing up shortly. Also blown a couple hundred with Amazon on books reated to Shipwrecks, under-water treasure hunting, etc, trying to shorten the learning curve as much as I can.

From what I gather, there is a real latticework of laws that 'govern' (aka- oppress) all this. Huge bummer... Can anyone suggest any books or websites that outline state and federal laws, as it pertains to underwater salvage? I'd at least like to have a working knowledge of the legal rudiments in question before I let any dreams get too big.

Nov 10, 2008
I'd at least like to have a working knowledge of the legal rudiments in question before I let any dreams get too big.

Let's say you have identified a shipwreck that you wish to salvage in a responsible manner, have determined it is financially feasible to pursue, and you are starting off with a ton of money and the patience of Job. If the wreck lies within 3 miles from shore on the east coast or 9 miles from shore on the west coast, you will have to obtain permission from the state of Florida (as the ship rests on their bottom lands) via an exploration permit. The permit application itself is fairly daunting. Some people throw in the towel right here. But let's say you completed the application and mailed it to Tallahassee. Many weeks, even months later, you may hear back from the state about the status of your permit. You may also get no response whatsoever. Sometimes they just pretend that they didn't even receive it. (tip: use certified mail with delivery confirmation)

If the stars and moon should all align and you are issued an exploration permit, firstly it will require you to employ the services of an RPA archaeologist. It will also require you to do a benthic survey of your lease area, documenting all the fish life, plant life, reef life, underwater topography etc.. The area will have to be videotaped & photographed. Then you will have to conduct a magnetometer survey of the entire area, recording & mapping the location of every single magnetic anomaly, of which every single one (and there could be hundreds) will have to be "ground truthed" (identified) later.

So far, this has all been very aggravating, expensive and time consuming and you haven't even started digging for treasure, er cultural resources!

Now many of the anomalies you have detected are probably buried under sand, sand which belongs to the state of Florida, but also requires approval & permits from the Feds to move. (this includes any mechanical means of sand removal) So if Florida happened to approve you for a limited "dig & identify" addendum to your exploration permit, you must now also get a "dredge and fill" permit from the Army Corp of Engineers.

At this point you are dealing with four agencies: 1) the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research 2) the DEP 3) Army Corp of Engineers 4) Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission and I may have missed one other level of bureaucracy.

Oh, before I get too far ahead, if the wreck is Spanish, you are already screwed. You may as well pack it in and and join the rest of us pirates. The state of Florida will never issue another permit on a Spanish shipwreck in Florida waters. At least under the current administration of Ryan Wheeler.

Now move head 2,3, 5 or in the case of one Florida company with an exploration permit, 15 years later...... and every year you filed your year-end archaeological report with the state and you satisfied all of the requirements of your other permits and you identified all 200 magnetic anomalies in your lease area and it's not a Spanish ship, and you are still solvent and decide you want to apply for a salvage permit to conduct an all-out responsible salvage of your shipwreck site..... keep in mind that Florida has handed out something like 2 or 3 salvage permits to commercial shipwreck exploration companies in the last 25 years or so.

Do I need to go on? Just keeping it real Poker Player. Unfortunately I have to use an alias here as this board is monitored by our appointed (not elected) "public servants" that get paid with our tax dollars to put us out of business.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
brethren of the coast said:
Do I need to go on? Just keeping it real Poker Player.

That's exactly the sort of unfiltered, no BS information I was looking for. Thanks.
Pretty easy to understand why people just disregard these asinine, bureaucratic roadblocks and pursue whatever strain of happiness resides in their heart, based on conscience alone. I'm starting to get awfully cynical about this, the 'land of the free'. We aren't that, anymore. Our systems of process have become totally dislocated from any sort of cogent, ethical underpinning.
We're the land of laws and laws and more laws and more laws for the sake of laws. It's disgusting, how a small handful of idiots with 'good intentions' can command the law to screw a large group of good people.

Does anyone know if there's anything written into the laws that gives protection or relief to the salvors? If so, perhaps a writ of mandamus might knock the state off it's ideological high-horse and back down to serving the people.

L

LandStar

Unfortunately the USA Government has become exactly what we ran away from in the old country over 200 years ago...A tyranical oppressive Government...Go figure

HH,

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Poker Player - you are my soul brother. I have been addicted to the type of life these pros experience daily. My experience working on a Bahamian lobster boat in the early 70's led to a payment in several dated 8 reales and a gorgeous MS 62 - 4 escudo (all early 1715 fleet finds). Life took me on many wonderful adventures but away from treasure salvage when I had the chance. I am also at "that" point in life and still in great dive shape. So guys count me in also!! I live right here and seeing you guys out there doing your thing makes me envious. That's when the dreaming starts. I know it is tedious, tough work most the time and I can't even begin to know what pressure you are under to pay bills and satisfy investors but I still want to be part of it.
When I found TreasureNet I read all the post in the shipwrecks and cobs sections. Finally signed up to be part of this community of treasure seekers. If everyone is as smart and cordial as they seem on this sight then I know I am in the right place.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poker Player,

If you really want to help this industry.Go to college to become a archaeologist,This industry needs more treasure minded archaeologist's.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Judging from Poker Player and his grasp for the english language having just rolled 30.... he is no dodo... one does not need to sign up to a college to become an Archy, you can do it piecemeal while diving and writing, recording. Good luck PP, later

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
OldGold1974 said:
Judging from Poker Player and his grasp for the english language having just rolled 30.... he is no dodo... one does not need to sign up to a college to become an Archy, you can do it piecemeal while diving and writing, recording. Good luck PP, later

Been there, done that. Then I got a degree in archaeology and that makes all the difference: not that I have learned how to work as well as any other archaeologist underwater - I work better. But the degree issue now is a moot point.

I was a teacher, an engineer doing archaeological stuff. Now, I am all that as well as a properly certified archaeologist (that means I can sign any project as an archaeologist and not have "real" archaeologist nagging me) :)

So, do follow fisheye's advice.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
When you guys refer to getting the certification is that the Open Water Certification? Or is it something else for ocean / deep water? I know my local dive shop offers quite a few specialty classes in addition to the Open Water class

-Lance-

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Darshevo said:
When you guys refer to getting the certification is that the Open Water Certification? Or is it something else for ocean / deep water? I know my local dive shop offers quite a few specialty classes in addition to the Open Water class

-Lance-

I managed to collect all these cards, but all you really need to do is get OW and then dive with people who know what they are doing. I didn't quite make it to decompression and trimix because I got interested in these shallow wrecks where it is barely over your head.... ;D Stan

Open Water
Advanced Open Water
Nitrox
Medic / First Aid
Rescue Diver
Wreck
Advanced Wreck
Deep Diver
Cavern Diver
Master Scuba Diver

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Alexandre - I know many people toting that stick I also dive with chaps just like you, degree or not signing off is not that easy, you need to get on first .... before signing anything ! furthermore there are plenty of people/divers out there who work their way through the NAS courses learning and qualifying, end result is they get to write up a few wrecks and some history for a few more feathers in the cap.
Most are respected within the field and coupled with other Archys carry out field schools and sign off on various projects from land digs to wrecks. I appreciate the effort you made to go back to school and glad you feel you benefited from it, my advice stands this way the guy asking doesn't find himself half way through school get bored and drop out and if....along his way/path he decides to follow your route its not a calling and its not recognized I may be wrong but I think only doctors and lawyers are recognized, maybe accountants but not archys..... fire away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread