Gold Hawg: 1715 Fleet Find

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
capthawk said:
Let's just say I have been a little too excited to write more - in fact hard to take photos when you are still shaking!

I found it south of Ft. Pierce inlet at the Douglas Beach site - one of the shipwreck sites of the 1715 Fleet disaster. 16' of water, sand bottom.
It was the 4th hole of the day. top to bottom vis (a joy in itself). "Gold Hawg" C-11 is a 30' West Coast Fisherman built in 1963.
Some of you might remember her as Frank Petersen's "Boca Chica" C-50. Run a 3208 Cat diesel - 375 Hp. Dry stack so can't hear yourself think. Mom helps topside, and I do the diving. I'm in and out between blowing to position the boat so use a hookah hose on a tank - keep six in a rack. Aquapulse AQ1B detector.

Strong classic "beer can" knock your ears out hit in the base of the berm. Hand fanned down about elbow depth between two slabs, v- shaped hole with the berm sifting down to fill it up. Getting louder but real defined. Grey dark sand swirling around and it cleared and I am looking at this beautiful golden bird laying there - on its side with the head up - just perfect and very, very unreal. Going thru my mind was it's a bird, a gold bird, a gold bird lying there - there's a gold bird in front of me and it looked so big under water and so impossibly gold - I picked it up and out of habit swung the loop again and then hey I'v got to go up!

My Mom said she could see the gold shining before I surfaced - my first words were "oh my God is it real?" Always wondered what I'd do if I ever found something really great -I found out - you take it in the cabin - put it in a safe container and GO BACK TO WORK because there is a sudden blast of energy and you feel as if you could hand fan away that 6 feet of sand! Worked the rest of the day, went home tired, got up at 3 am and had to look at the bird again. Checked the weather and swell up.

Took it into the lab Monday. Could hardly tell Bill Moore on the phone what I had found: his work with the database and research was what put me in the right area. He thought we were bringing in a "little" gold piece and Mom walked in with this shining in a plastic mask case!

**** 22K gold, 177 grams - 5 1/2 inches tall***
Likely a type of eagle, with a bold look to the eye. The research has begun - seems the design was to hold something - but what?
A bezoar stone, a type of scented sachet or pomade, oil, incense -- was it a piece of jewelry, an ornament, a religious
item?? The design is so detailed, so well thought out - the legs of the bird pin down into the Fleur -de- lis base with gold pins that
are flared at the bottom -like mini cotter pins - the talons of the bird are crossed (like crossed toes) not bent but crossed! Each support is hinged with tiny gold
pins. One wing is missing - somehow lost in the last 295 years. I hope to find it and perhaps discover what belongs in the center. A ring on top of the neck and also the wing indicate missing chains as well. The search goes on ...

This is why we search - it is a privilege to bring ashore an item like this, to recover it , to bring it shining back into the sunlight, out of the dark sand, out of the surge of the sea, and the rip of the tide - to bring it back to the safety of shore. This I will never forget, this feeling.
Beautiful Story Hats off to you....

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Oh my God but that is a incredible find. Just wow!

Semper Fi

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is unbelievable. Given how large it is and the fact that no one has found it in all these years, there is a good chance of finding more. Good luck and thanks for sharing your find!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MY CHIN JUST HIT THE KEYBOARD! :tongue1: :love10:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
IMO, ranks up there with the gold and emerald belt Fisher found on the Atocha. Thanks for sharing photos with us poor, drooling, folk.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capthawk said:
Let's just say I have been a little too excited to write more - in fact hard to take photos when you are still shaking!

I found it south of Ft. Pierce inlet at the Douglas Beach site - one of the shipwreck sites of the 1715 Fleet disaster. 16' of water, sand bottom.
It was the 4th hole of the day. top to bottom vis (a joy in itself). "Gold Hawg" C-11 is a 30' West Coast Fisherman built in 1963.
Some of you might remember her as Frank Petersen's "Boca Chica" C-50. Run a 3208 Cat diesel - 375 Hp. Dry stack so can't hear yourself think. Mom helps topside, and I do the diving. I'm in and out between blowing to position the boat so use a hookah hose on a tank - keep six in a rack. Aquapulse AQ1B detector.

Strong classic "beer can" knock your ears out hit in the base of the berm. Hand fanned down about elbow depth between two slabs, v- shaped hole with the berm sifting down to fill it up. Getting louder but real defined. Grey dark sand swirling around and it cleared and I am looking at this beautiful golden bird laying there - on its side with the head up - just perfect and very, very unreal. Going thru my mind was it's a bird, a gold bird, a gold bird lying there - there's a gold bird in front of me and it looked so big under water and so impossibly gold - I picked it up and out of habit swung the loop again and then hey I'v got to go up!

My Mom said she could see the gold shining before I surfaced - my first words were "oh my God is it real?" Always wondered what I'd do if I ever found something really great -I found out - you take it in the cabin - put it in a safe container and GO BACK TO WORK because there is a sudden blast of energy and you feel as if you could hand fan away that 6 feet of sand! Worked the rest of the day, went home tired, got up at 3 am and had to look at the bird again. Checked the weather and swell up.

Took it into the lab Monday. Could hardly tell Bill Moore on the phone what I had found: his work with the database and research was what put me in the right area. He thought we were bringing in a "little" gold piece and Mom walked in with this shining in a plastic mask case!

**** 22K gold, 177 grams - 5 1/2 inches tall***
Likely a type of eagle, with a bold look to the eye. The research has begun - seems the design was to hold something - but what?
A bezoar stone, a type of scented sachet or pomade, oil, incense -- was it a piece of jewelry, an ornament, a religious
item?? The design is so detailed, so well thought out - the legs of the bird pin down into the Fleur -de- lis base with gold pins that
are flared at the bottom -like mini cotter pins - the talons of the bird are crossed (like crossed toes) not bent but crossed! Each support is hinged with tiny gold
pins. One wing is missing - somehow lost in the last 295 years. I hope to find it and perhaps discover what belongs in the center. A ring on top of the neck and also the wing indicate missing chains as well. The search goes on ...

This is why we search - it is a privilege to bring ashore an item like this, to recover it , to bring it shining back into the sunlight, out of the dark sand, out of the surge of the sea, and the rip of the tide - to bring it back to the safety of shore. This I will never forget, this feeling.

This post--this reply...has made my day. A sincere congratulations for a great recovery. For doing things the right way. And for your honesty, integrity, and determination.

Bravo.

-Buckles

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Wasn't the 1715 fleet carrying part of a Royal Wedding Dowry? If so, that looks like as good a candidate as any to being part of it...

Alan

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can honestly say that your find is probably the nicest Ive seen on treasure net, for me at least. That is incredible. I am with the "hour glass" theory. It sure looks like there was some sort of glass fitted into it.

Well Done!

Brian

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is..... WOW! Another amazing find here on tnet.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible piece of history :notworthy: beautiful find and congrats on making the Banner ! :thumbsup: Dd60

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am so glad that this made the banner, I took one quick look this morning before going to work!!!! and I though banner!!! I Was running really Late!!!! This site is really addicting Got up at 530 am did not get out the door until You posted it!!! Great Hunting!!!! To bad I cant dive because of my ear problems!!!! HH Chug

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnificent Find - could be any number of things , sacred or secular - I'm inclined toward sacred
I think it could be a candle bearing , a sensor ( incense burner ) or even a reliquary of some kind.
The richness of material (22k gold ) combined with its size and the era to which it belongs , all
argue for the kind of stature afforded the church at that time - although the vain conceit of the
secular royalty or nobility cannot be discounted here either . Probably one of the finest finds
I have ever seen posted ! Argentium.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is frigging awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread