what kind of wreck could this be?

jesseb

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2010
came accross what looked like a pile of ballast there are wooden ribs visiable in spots under the stones. the stones are anout 100 ft long 30ft wide and nothing else in the area but sand and a few rocks here & there.... next to the stones are the two big tanks pictured. our friend suggested steam tanks? could it be a steam ship?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 542

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They definitely look like boilers. Most early steam ships also had sails which would account for the large ballast pile. I'd say 1800's.

OP
OP
J

jesseb

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2010
comfortably numb said:
They definitely look like boilers. Most early steam ships also had sails which would account for the large ballast pile. I'd say 1800's.

cool... thanks. what's your take on the big piece of black rock? about the size of a 5gallon bucket and 30+ pounds.. chips easliy.. black & shiny looks like obsidian? or could it just be a big ol piece of coal?

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
alot of sailing ships had boilers to heat water,heat the ship,desalinate saltwater,etc. also whaling ships had huge boilers to render whale oil from blubber.

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Hard to tell from the pictures but the cylindrical objects could be (railway or fire-tube style) boilers - if the fire tubes are visible on the end and there is associated brass valves/piping and bricks under the base then that would help confirm. I have images from several different types of vessels with these older type of boilers.
Another possibility is I have seen similar tanks used to haul molasses. They look like boilers and even have a trunk on top like the one visible in the image.
Can you provide any additional info on the site?
Cheers,
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread