New book on shipwrecks in the Dominican Republic

veryoldthunter

Greenie
Aug 26, 2010
I'm new to Treasurenet and not sure where to ask the question. I asked in some other section that seemed to have books, but I guess nobody looks there. Has anyone seen a copy of this new book about shipwrecks in the Dominican Republic yet? Saw it on lulu.com "Shipwrecks of the Dominican Republic and A Guide to Shipwreck Identification Through Recovered Artifacts". Thanks, veryold

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello "veryoldhunter",

I am the author of the book you mentioned in your post. You can look at the post "Historic Shipwrecks in Dominican Republic/Haiti" in this Forum in the same section of "Shipwrecks" about three months ago and you can read the opinion of people that have read my book already. I hope you will like it as well!

Regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello,

Unfortunately I did not know about the existence of this book..... But it is no wonder because as I could see, this book was published on the 25th of August, 2010, it means only two days ago..... The strange thing for me is that the names of both authors say nothing to me and I have been living and working in the field of treasure hunting, shipwrecks history, diving and underwater archaeology here on the island for almost 10 years ...... I do not know who they are. They should be from some salvage company but again, they are very few working on the island at the moment and these are the same as years ago. I will ask about them in the National Agency for Underwater Patrimony, they might know them. Well.... I will try to get this book, of course, but unfortunately I cannot tell you anything about it so far.

Regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was an infamous treasure hunter in the Florida Keys named Robert (Bobby) Klein. He worked many of the 1733 wrecks and the Santa Margarita.

Not sure if he and the author of that book are one and the same. Obviously, "Black Duck" wanted to remain anonymous.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks said:
There was an infamous treasure hunter in the Florida Keys named Robert (Bobby) Klein. He worked many of the 1733 wrecks and the Santa Margarita.

Not sure if he and the author of that book are one and the same. Obviously, "Black Duck" wanted to remain anonymous.

I believe he was the guy who threw treasure back into the sea rather than give it to the State of Florida. I think he died.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The guy that threw all his treasure back into the sea was Tom Gurr.

Bobby Klein was the guy who 'kidnapped' one of Mel's divers when they found a bunch of gold on the Santa Margarita, and then tried to claim it as his own (and as a "new" wreck). Bobby lost in court.

OP
OP
V

veryoldthunter

Greenie
Aug 26, 2010
Bobadilla, sorry, I didn't notice it was so recent publication. I agree with you, the names must be pen names (nom de plume). Guess I'll have to buy a copy and check it out myself. I never heard of all this "Bobby Klein" history - this business seems to be full of interesting stories like that.

Thanks for the comments, veryold

OP
OP
V

veryoldthunter

Greenie
Aug 26, 2010
Got a copy of the book...pretty interesting. A bunch of wrecks listed with photos and coordinates - mostly modern but some old. Probably some good recreational diving. Authors say many of them are previously unknown. A section on Equipment used for treasure hunting and salvage, and then a section on artifacts - looks like a good reference kind of book.

Veryold

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello everybody,

When I received the copy of the book “Shipwrecks of the Dominican Republic and Guide to Shipwreck Identification Through Recovered Artifacts” I found out to know personally the author of the book. He is professional cave diver with huge sense for details and perfection and with passion for shipwrecks. All shipwrecks, not only historical ones. Ballast pile of any kind or piece of airplane wing under the water means a shipwreck site for him no matter how old it is. He has been systematically searching the seas of the south of the island for a long time and the records of his dives and discoveries are an example of detailed, systematical work. As I know, he never touched anything what he found under the water, just recorded the spot with photos, descriptions and GPS coordinates. He wrote his book in the same precise way, in the first part of the book giving a reader some samples of mostly modern shipwrecks around the island, some of them even with exact GPS coordinates, and mentioning some historical ones, principally in the area of his interest on the southern coast, west of Santo Domingo. His information about these old wrecks is based on Chaunu records of transatlantic voyages of Spanish ships and on information from the books of other authors as well. The second part of his book is, by my opinion, very good guide for anybody who is seriously interested in treasure hunting business and wants to know what to do and what to avoid. Description and way how to use different types of magnetometers, side scan sonar and other instruments that are necessary for any successful underwater treasure hunt is very useful and quite comprehensive. The basic description of principal artifacts that can be found on shipwrecks like cannons, anchors, ship bells, timbers and spikes completes the picture of basic knowledge for modern treasure hunters.

Regards to all,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got your book yesterday....quite interesting. Quite a bit of info on the Tortugas.....go figure....are these the same as the dry Tortugas? Parden my ignorance but there isn't alot of history out there on the dry torgutas.

Dennis

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi Dennis,

I suppose that you speak here about my book "Historic Shipwrecks of the Dominican Republic and Haiti" because as I remember, there is nothing about Tortugas in the book of Black Duck. I dedicated one chapter to the Tortuga Island, a relatively big island north of actual Haiti that was base of operation for buccaneers and pirates for decades. It has nothing to do with Dry Tortugas located about 70 miles west from Key West.

Regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! Yes it is your book shipwrecks of the dominican republic...sorry...should have specified that.

Dennis

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Dennis: No ignorance at all on your part...many historians and researchers have been stumped and much confusion exists when discussing the island of Tortola, Tortuga, Isla Tortuga, La Tortuga, Las Tortugas or the Dry Tortugas. The experienced researcher must know that Tortola is the largest of the British Virgin Islands. Tortuga Island or Isla Tortuga is a Caribbean island located on the northern coast of Hispaniola, which is now part of Haiti. The Spanish named the island Tortuga de la Mar because it resembled a great sea tortoise. The island is officially became known as Île de Tortue after the French. La Tortuga is an uninhabited island located off the northern coast of Venezuela situated along the route taken by Spanish treasure ships sailing across the Caribbean Basin to Cartagena. The island was discovered in 1499 by Alonso de Ojeda and Amerigo Vespucci, the island was named La Isla La Tortuga because of the island’s enormous population of sea turtles. It too used to be a refuge of pirates in the 17th century but should not be confused with the pirate stronghold of Tortuga. The Dry Tortugas are a small group of islands, located at the end of the Florida Keys; and Las Tortugas is the name given to the Cayman Islands by Christopher Columbus during his fourth voyage of exploration in 1503. Columbus was blown off course and actually landed on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, which he named Las Tortugas after the island’s many sea turtles. Later maps depicted the islands as Lagartos (large lizards) and by 1530 the islands are called Las Cayman (a name derived from the Carib Indian word for small crocodiles.) Sir Francis Drake, the famous English privateer, stopped at the Caymans on an expedition during which he sacked Santo Domingo in 1586. Drake’s log records the islands as “not inhabited” and infested with “giant serpents called Caymanas.”

Hope this helps

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Galleon Hunter,
Thanks for the history and geography lesson. I didn't know all that!
Aquanut

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a history lesson! Thank you so much for bringing this all to light. I always learn so much from you guys.....and the book of Bobadilla's is packed with great info....just not the info I am looking for...lolol

Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread