Pirate statue stolen

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FORT PIERCE The owner of Archie's Seabreeze told police Monday that someone absconded with a "life size" ceramic pirate statue that she'd placed in the area of the bar, according to a recently released report.

The owner of the landmark watering hole in the 400 block of South Ocean Drive told police she bought three of the 150 pound pirate statues, one of which was noticed missing on Aug. 31,

The statue, of a pirate clad in a white and blue stripe shirt and black pants, was last seen two days prior.

The 65-year-old owner said she put up posters offering a reward, but when no one returned the statue, which was bolted into the concrete, she called police.

The statue is further described as sporting a brown vest and brown boots and holding a sword. The pirate, who is white, has a long black hair and a beard.

The pirate was on the front patio next to the parking lot and South Ocean Drive. The pirate wasn't found in a search of the surrounding area.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/fl-pirate-statue-stolen-20100909,0,46141.story

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone aware of the history of Florida treasure hunting knows that these recent thefts are nothing new.

From the time these valuable wrecks were first discovered back in the 40's and 50's, people have succumbed to the temptation to take what does not belong to them, whether it be a pirates stealing from the wreck sites themselves, or thieves breaking into museums.

The first notable event was the attempted break in of the safe in Art Mckee's Museum of Sunken Treasure on Plantation Key. I am guessing the year was in the late 1950's or early 1960's. The thieves failed, and in frustration, scrawled a note for Art on his sturdy safe.

Then the Real Eight Co. museum in Cape Canaveral was burglarized in 1976. Thieves got quite a bit of loot. The case was never solved and I've heard rumors over the years that it was an inside job, but nothing has ever been presented as evidence that this was ever true.

The state run McLarty treasure museum was broken in to in 1980. An arrest was made and most of the treasure recovered.

Finally, The Port Royal Sunken Treasure Museum in St. Petersburg Beach was burglarized in 1993. The joke was on the burglar...most of what they had taken turned out to be replica treasure. And the man was later apprehended.

I hope you all enjoy the newspaper clippings from my files.

Tom

Attachments

• Art Mckee museum burglary attempt 2.jpg
    Art Mckee museum burglary attempt 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 814
  • Real Eight museum theft 4.jpg
    Real Eight museum theft 4.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 863
  • Mclarty theft 01.jpg
    Mclarty theft 01.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 870
  • Port Royal museum theft 2.jpg
    Port Royal museum theft 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 800
  • Port Royal museum theft 3.jpg
    Port Royal museum theft 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 821
  • Museum thefts.jpg
    Museum thefts.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 819

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: Been looking but haven't seen anything like you discribed yet. :tongue3:

Attachments

• Hazels Visit 248.jpg
    Hazels Visit 248.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 909

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teddy Tucker's gold cross was stolen from a museum in Bermuda, and never recovered.

Attachments

• Cross.jpg
    Cross.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Cross.jpg
    Cross.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 835

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any news about the Mel Fischer Museum's Gold Bar that was recently stolen? Seems to have dropped off the front pages now...

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Tucker cross hesit and another treasure coin theft from a south Florida museum.....

Attachments

• Tucker cross theft.jpg
    Tucker cross theft.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • sfl museum theft.gif
    sfl museum theft.gif
    89.2 KB · Views: 663

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
Is there any news updates as to whether Patti found her Pirate Statute yet? I haven't been able to find any follow-up stories in the TCPalm. That statute was there for as many years as I had been going to Archies. I thought at first it was just a prank, but it seems it was more than that.

Reef Dawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread