What hand tools do salvors use underwater?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I found regular tools like pry bars, chisles, etc. to be sufficient normally. Never wanted to spend too much on stainless steel tools you might lose anyway. Hammers with wooden handles don't last long, they use to break, so I prefer fiberglas.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
^ I think those might have buoyancy issues :laughing7: ^

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use snap on pry bars mostly, I used to use those cheapy mini folding shovels but after trashing 4 of them I built my own out of rebar and heavy steel plate. they don't argue with the blue clay or rocks.
rarely do I use a hammer they tend to break things that are fragile. I bought a dive knife with a blunt tip and one that has razor sharp blade on one side and a carbon impregnated blade on the other. you could cut through iron bars with the carbon blade.

I built me a floaty out of an old plastic milk crate and a truck tire inner tube. I added a small deck with a pocket for my gps and a small mast for my dive flag. it sure beats trying to carry some of the heavier items back to shore or the boat, plus it is nice to have a gps to mark a spot so you can return. this is great if you hit a hot spot just as your tank is going empty. I have also taken my digging tool and anchored the float to a hot spot while I switched tanks to return.

next thing I never go without is digging gloves, I like the knit ones with the small plastic dots. the canvas style fill with sand and prevent movement. I do hjeartily suggest you get a tetnus shot and hepatitus shots too, you never know what you will be gigging and getting a poke from some junkies syringe is a job hazzard that could happen, not to mention broken glass or fishing lures/hooks.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you will show us your many finds on treasurenet.com I truly enjoy this site and all the wonderfull people and their fantastic finds.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Are there any preferred metals for underwater tools for reasons having to do with weight, corrosion resistance, durability, etc?

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Strictly hand tools. grenades, depth charges, air drill, dynamite and a 2000 HP blower and props if it's shallow enough :tongue3: . :laughing9: :laughing9:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Now not undersea exploration projects require mechanical
equipment - especially with the equipment your female friend
brings to the table - you may well have a hand job in the
making there!

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt dom said:
Now not undersea exploration projects require mechanical
equipment - especially with the equipment your female friend
brings to the table - you may well have a hand job in the
making there!
:tongue1:

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump.. Sorry guys, I only had one post before I had a full member. I mean became a full member. or something like that. :hello2:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Island Hopper,

I have some unfortunate news....
Your friend no longer wishes to deal with a "green member"!
Once she found out about a "full member" and its benefits
it didn't take a pearl necklace but she got something else
that most likely will lead to one later...

Attachments

• Boob-girl-coin.jpg
    Boob-girl-coin.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 7,599

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread