Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might also add...

As we all know... or at least those that have been in this for some time know...
that there has always been a debate over whether or not Spanish wrecks lay in west coast waters...

I can assure you... they do.
IMO of course... but... my opinion is based on some privileged knowledge(s)...

Keep one thing in mind...
Fact.

West coast of Florida was 10 times more active with Spanish ... as well as others... than the East Coast and Keys ever were.

The oldest recorded North American routes and stops... and trade by the Spanish...
Were all West Coast.

Last edited:

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites PI-1000/ Fisher 1280x Aquanaut/ Pulse Induction units/ Fisher CZ21 Quick Silver/Fisher 1266/Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I might also add...

As we all know... or at least those that have been in this for some time know...
that there has always been a debate over whether or not Spanish wrecks lay in west coast waters...

I can assure you... they do.
IMO of course... but... my opinion is based on some privileged knowledge(s)...

Keep one thing in mind...
Fact.

West coast of Florida was 10 times more active with Spanish ... as well as others... than the East Coast and Keys ever were.

The oldest recorded North American routes and stops... and trade by the Spanish...
Were all West Coast.
I agree with you and Salvor6 that there are Spanish wrecks on Florida's west coast, but I should imagine these will be Pataches carrying small pay roles and provisions for the missions etc in this area. Never the less, these would be great sites to work. With most of the bottom being sand, olive jars and onion bottles have a greater chance of surviving the ravages of time. As well, bronze medallions and glass trade beads were probably stocked on board by the crate full to appease the native aboriginals (Culoosa etc). What I meant in my comment is that large Galleons from the treasure fleets like the Atocha, Capitana, Infante etc would probably not be there, save only with the exception that one may have gone down in deeper water after being blow way off course from the known routes used by the Treasure Fleets. I worked for Mel for a few years, so its possible you've meet me. I worked on the J.B.Magruder, Dauntless, Bookmaker and Gambler. Here's some shots of the Magruder anchored over the Margarita site.

Treasure 041.JPG

Treasure 043.JPG

And here's the Magruder and the Dauntless at the dock in Key West behind the Half Shell Raw Bar at Lands end Village

Treasure 044.JPG

Last edited:

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites PI-1000/ Fisher 1280x Aquanaut/ Pulse Induction units/ Fisher CZ21 Quick Silver/Fisher 1266/Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff... you look very familiar to me...
Perhaps we crossed paths in my youth via Mel.
Avatar is picture of me at Mels shop... this picture was taken in the wake of Margarita celeb... 80.
Mel just gave me an $5 an hour future job for Atocha search just prior to the picture. (which I never followed up on regretfully)

Anyway... JFYI... Keaton Beach where I assume you are... has rumors of a several spotting's of wrecks.
And...
Three documented Spanish wrecks north of you...
And...
Documented.... not 1 but several Spanish missions in areas surrounding your location.
And...
Trail is also nearby...

Shall I continue ? :)
Sounds like you've been doing your research. As a native Floridian I'm somewhat knowledgeable about the FLA west coast, but I'll admit, with so much time spent in the Keys and the east coast, I never looked seriously at the west coast. My wife and I recently bought a home in Keaton Bch 1 1/2 miles from the public boat ramp. We take our boat out during the week, and avoid weekends as the boat ramp can often be crowded, especially during scallop season. Here's some more Atocha Treasure pics.

Treasure 065.JPG

Treasure 066.JPG

Treasure 068.JPG

Treasure 070.JPG

Treasure 060.JPG

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just be careful with Hermine headed your way, Geoff.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone says to me... "if there are old wrecks on the west coast how come none have been found" ?
My reply is always the same...

"Sand". :P

After any good / this storm IS THE PRIME TIME for exploratory dives btw.

Oh and as far as "treasure" goes... yes the East Coast and Keys claimed more of these wrecks which were documented Via Seville etc...
NOW...
They were documented due to survivor accounts etc etc.
BUT...
On this coast...
There were rarely any survivors... and even rarer made it to tell a story. heh

Even if they survived a sinking ... they would not survive much longer after that.

Have you heard of Kane's prelim search of Tampa Bay for the Spanish Treasure Fleet (Three ships) out by Gandy ?
Rumor was it might have been located...
Problem with it ... Sand... 25 feet + of it. heh

Last edited:

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When someone says to me... "if there are old wrecks on the west coast how come none have been found" ?
My reply is always the same...

"Sand". :P

After any good / this storm IS THE PRIME TIME for exploratory dives btw.

Oh and as far as "treasure" goes... yes the East Coast and Keys claimed more of these wrecks which were documented Via Seville etc...
NOW...
They were documented due to survivor accounts etc etc.
BUT...
On this coast...
There were rarely any survivors... and even rarer made it to tell a story. heh

Even if they survived a sinking ... they would not survive much longer after that.

Have you heard of Kane's prelim search of Tampa Bay for the Spanish Treasure Fleet (Three ships) out by Gandy ?
Rumor was it might have been located...
Problem with it ... Sand... 25 feet + of it. heh
Hey AARC, No, I haven't heard of Kane's Tampa Bay hunt. Sounds like one of many short lived expeditions the Fishers were involved in. Deep sand has always been a problem, but if the DEP etc. would leave us alone, we could move it with the mail box blowers. My Avatar is a shot of me holding a Mexico mint cob I had just recovered from the Bank of Spain area of the Atocha wreckage trail (Photo by Ed Hinckel). The sand there was miles deep. The Magruder had huge blowers, and we had to blow our first hole for 45 mins before we would get in with our pulse detectors. After we worked out the hole, we would shift the boat 5 feet and blow again, this time for a shorter period of time. By shifting the boat port or starboard, fore or aft in small increments, we could expand the original hole we started with. This method of salvage was attacked by Florida State environmental agencies and many others. In the infancy of the Fla Keys Marine Sanctuary, our methods of salvage were halted. Our attempts to appeal to the sanctuary officials by creating (what I call) softer methods of salvage, were still met with anguish. I can remember at one time when Mel sent us to the hardware store to buy metal rakes, we actually had to pull the sand back into our blow holes when we were done. It didn't stop there to say the least. So what I'm saying is, if you find a wreck site buried under tons of sand, it better be well worth the effort to tackle the Government in the permitting process for search and salvage. This is why you don't see any big salvage work on Florida's west coast. I like the sites with shallow sand but I'm certain these will be few and far between in the Big Bend area, but the treasure bug is deep in my veins, and without much need to mention, I'll always be on the hunt no matter what body of water my bow slices. Here's some shots of another wreck I found while drift diving in the Keys.

FLA Keys Shipwreck 012.JPG

FLA Keys Shipwreck 004.JPG

FLA Keys Shipwreck 009.JPG

And here's a couple bronze spikes that fell into my BC pocket while I was there.

FLA Keys Shipwreck 020.JPG

FLA Keys Shipwreck bronze spike (1).JPG

FLA Keys Shipwreck bronze spike (3).JPG

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geoff... What unit are you carrying while drifting ?

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff... What unit are you carrying while drifting ?
Fisher CZ-21, but I usually leave it topside till I spot something. If I know I'm near a wreck site, or wreckage trail, I'll work the bottom with my detector while drifting. I change my Danforth for a small folding anchor, inflate my BC a little more than usual so I can carry the anchor, and let the boat drift with me. When I get a target, I set the anchor, dump some air out of my BC, and get to work. This search method has a couple drawbacks though. You have to keep the anchor as far away from your search coil as possible. My machine has a 10" coil, so most of my swing is to the right side of me. The other problems are current and surface conditions. The boat wants to get ahead of you sometimes, but overall I do well, and have taught myself how to work with the elements. Here's a couple more pics.

Treasure 013.JPG

Treasure 019.JPG

Treasure 023.JPG

I'm holding my 1732 Four Escudos in this shot. Notice the calcareous encrustation completely covering the coin. There was a small area on the coin that showed gold, exposing two letters.

Treasure 025.JPG

This shot is after I cleaned it.

Treasure 026.JPG

And here it is up close.

Treasure 027.JPG

Last edited:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been curious about diving for wrecks but have never tried it.

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've always been curious about diving for wrecks but have never tried it.

It's interesting and can be rewarding to say the least, but stick with recreation wreck diving if you ever take the plunge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread