Treasure salvor Geoff Zitver

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites PI-1000/ Fisher 1280x Aquanaut/ Pulse Induction units/ Fisher CZ21 Quick Silver/Fisher 1266/Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff Zitver, Coffins patch finds

Does anyone know how to get in touch with a salvage diver named Geoff Zitver? He recovered some nice coins from Coffin PAtch in the 1980's.

Thanks in advance.

This is Geoff. Here's a pic of my best Coffins Patch find.

4 ESCUDO.jpg

Attachments

• 8 R PILLAR, INFANTE.jpg
    8 R PILLAR, INFANTE.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 8 R PILLAR, OBV, INFANTE.jpg
    8 R PILLAR, OBV, INFANTE.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice finds, Geoff.

You're answering a 6 year old thread. Diver Down hasn't been active since that time on this forum. Might send him a private message and hope he still has the same email.

Best,
Darren

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice, DD. Better that way.

Curious - why do you have 2 profiles? Your top one says 30 posts, and that you haven't been active since 2010.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren he wants GPS numbers, what else? How is the reunion going? Same date?

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites PI-1000/ Fisher 1280x Aquanaut/ Pulse Induction units/ Fisher CZ21 Quick Silver/Fisher 1266/Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the like Darren. I did get in touch with Diver Down. Just wanted all of you to see the 4 Escudo I recovered from the Coffins Patch.

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bronze Spanish Medallion 003 (1).JPG

I see you're in St. Augustine. I lived there for a couple years and made some great finds. Here's a pic of a Spanish bronze religious medallion I found.

Bronze Spanish Medallion 003 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren, I'm curious what kind of coin your holding in your avatar. Here's a couple pics of me fro the 80sas a diver for Mel Fisher.

SANTA MARGARITA, 1622 TREASURE.jpg

SANTA MARGARITA, 1622 RAPIER.jpg

ME AND MEL FISHER.jpg

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff, I don't recall the exact cob I was holding then, but here I am holding more of them we found when we dove on the Jupiter wreck, the San Miguel Archangel. That was in 2006 with many guys from this forum. I do more research than diving these days. You have quite the experience and legacy most only dream of. I am fortunate to have tasted some of the dream, as well. All the best to you.

darren coins.jpg

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff, I don't recall the exact cob I was holding then, but here I am holding more of them we found when we dove on the Jupiter wreck, the San Miguel Archangel. That was in 2006 with many guys from this forum. I do more research than diving these days. You have quite the experience and legacy most only dream of. I am fortunate to have tasted some of the dream, as well. All the best to you.

View attachment 1353132

Darren, looks like you had a good day seeing that hand full. I've never worked the Jupiter area. I would guess It has the same bottom as Vero, Sebastian etc, (worm rock, coquina and lots of sand). Thanks for the compliment as to being experienced. I only wish I could do it full time again. The FLA Keys Marine Sanctuary really hurt me. I'm still set up though, and only lack a mag. I sold mine a few years ago. I'm living on the west coast of FLA in the Big Bend area now, so maybe your research can point me to a good search area and we can team up on a new wreck site. Here's another old shot of me holding five Santa Fe de Bogota 2 escudos cobs from the Rio Mar site off Vero. I'm standing on the deck of the Dauntless anchored off shore for the night, Kane Fisher was my Skipper.

2 ESCUDOS, 1715, DAUNTLESS.jpg

Here's a shot of Kane and I on the stern of the Dauntless getting ready to dive our blow hole on the Rio Mar site. We found 42 Two Escudos that season.

Treasure 052.JPG

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff, I don't have any research in the Big Bend area. Find Capt. Laney Rinehart's book with GPS coords on rock piles in the area for fishermen. I always wanted to try this. Who knows? One of these rock piles may have quite a few goodies under them or nearby. I would guess very few people actually make the time to do this.

Geoff Zitver

Aug 28, 2016
Keaton Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geoff, I don't have any research in the Big Bend area. Find Capt. Laney Rinehart's book with GPS coords on rock piles in the area for fishermen. I always wanted to try this. Who knows? One of these rock piles may have quite a few goodies under them or nearby. I would guess very few people actually make the time to do this.

I have dived on some rock piles in the big bend area. No indigenous stone yet, but time spent off shore will certainly pay off. I know there's no big Spanish treasure wrecks here, but there has to be some Civil War and pre Civil War period wrecks in the area. I'll have to get the tow line out and let the wife drag me till we find something as we've done before. Here's some shots of a ballast pile we came across drift diving for lobster.

Treasure 016.JPG

Treasure 017.JPG

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Geoff. I have to disagree with you. There are many Spanish galleon wrecks on the west coast. They are just more difficult to find.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geoff... you look very familiar to me...
Perhaps we crossed paths in my youth via Mel.
Avatar is picture of me at Mels shop... this picture was taken in the wake of Margarita celeb... 80.
Mel just gave me an $5 an hour future job for Atocha search just prior to the picture. (which I never followed up on regretfully)

Anyway... JFYI... Keaton Beach where I assume you are... has rumors of a several spotting's of wrecks.
And...
Three documented Spanish wrecks north of you...
And...
Documented.... not 1 but several Spanish missions in areas surrounding your location.
And...
Trail is also nearby...

Shall I continue ? :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread