ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picking on this old thread: Brazil has just issued a permit for the search of the "Santa Rosa", rumored to have sunk with anywhere from 5 to 26 tons of gold coins and bullion on board.

But of course they did... They need that money.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I couldn't find it online. To whom was the permit issued, Alexandre?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
I couldn't find it online. To whom was the permit issued, Alexandre?

It's all hush hush, but the word that goes around says that Odysseys is involved together with local salvager Salvanav. Again, just hearsay, cannot confirm the validity of it.

"02- Processo n. º 01450.004687/2018-54
Projeto: Arqueologia da Nau Santa Rosa
Arqueólogos Coordenadores: Simone de Sousa Mesquita e Luiz Fernando de Castro Cunha
Apoio Institucional: Museu Naval da Marinha - Rio de Janeiro
Área de Abrangência: Estados de Pernambuco e Paraíba
Prazo de Validade: 18 (dezoito) meses"

this from:

PORTARIA Nº 38, DE 7 DE JUNHO DE 2019 - PORTARIA Nº 38, DE 7 DE JUNHO DE 2019 - DOU - Imprensa Nacional

Santa Rosa.jpg

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasnt that Stemms brother down there leading that search? (years ago?)

Last edited:

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
66276408_2292554937448030_2488405447443218432_o.jpg 66008536_2292555187448005_3977612948477575168_o.jpg 66396045_2292554764114714_5238876033918173184_o.jpg 66293650_2292555094114681_1373648420933206016_o.jpg

Just been to the archives today, this is the 1st of 3 books containing the gold cargo manifest from the "Nossa Senhora da Nazareth" frigate, the companion ship to the "Santa Rosa" that took on board people and gold from the burning ship.

"Livro do manifesto do Cofre 1º do dinheiro que veyo na fragata Nossa Senhora da Nazareth, que vindo por Almyranta da frota da Bahia, se recolheo a Lixboa fazendo a obrigação de capitania por se aver queimado no mar accidentalmente a Nao Capitania Santa Roza / e se recolheo em 22 de Novembro de 1726 a cargo do capitam de mar, e guerra Pedro de Oliveira Muge/ Livro 1º / Fragata Nossa Senhora da Nazareth" - "Cargo manifest book for the treasure chest number 1 of the money that came on the Our Lady of Nazareth frigate, that came as Almiranta of the Bahia fleet, arriving at Lisbon as a capitana, because by accident the Nao Santa Rosa was burned at sea, and arrived on November, the 22th 1726, under the command of sea-and-war captain Pedro de Oliveira Muge"

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who know me, know that I'm a huge fan of the 1605 fleet. The San Jose might be the richest shipwreck ever, but at an estimated 8 million pesos it cannot compete with the alleged $6-7 millones pesos of the San Roque, Capitana, $6-7 million of the Santo Domingo, Almiranta, and the $2-3 million that the Nuestra Sra. de las Begonias and San Ambrosio carried, the four shipwrecked vessels of D. Fernandez de Cordoba, lost on November 6th, 1605.

The fact that these shipwrecks are intact, probably in shallow waters, and probably within a country, Colombia, where, at least in paper, is it legal to recover them, makes them the best treasure shipwreck project in the world in my opinion. It is a shame, that the new president in Colombia is making thing murky for the discovery team that found the San Jose. Because of that, 1605 will have to wait until the San Jose is resolved and/or presidente Duke is out of office.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Those who know me, know that I'm a huge fan of the 1605 fleet. The San Jose might be the richest shipwreck ever, but at an estimated 8 million pesos it cannot compete with the alleged $6-7 millones pesos of the San Roque, Capitana, $6-7 million of the Santo Domingo, Almiranta, and the $2-3 million that the Nuestra Sra. de las Begonias and San Ambrosio carried, the four shipwrecked vessels of D. Fernandez de Cordoba, lost on November 6th, 1605.

The fact that these shipwrecks are intact, probably in shallow waters, and probably within a country, Colombia
Old thread, but reviving discussion about most valuable unfound wrecks. Regarding the 1605 fleet - were the wreck sites of this fleet located? I know San Jose is known and Colombia is beginning to salvage this year.

Anything come of the Santa Rosa 1726 off the coast of Brazil?

Colombiapictures

May 7, 2010
Old thread, but reviving discussion about most valuable unfound wrecks. Regarding the 1605 fleet - were the wreck sites of this fleet located? I know San Jose is known and Colombia is beginning to salvage this year.

Anything come of the Santa Rosa 1726 off the coast of Brazil?
Check this thread for the 1605 fleet.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Top Three:
Any three lost galleons returning to Acapulco from Manila.
Top Ten:
Any ten lost galleons returning to Acapulco from Manila.
Honorable mentions:
A. Balance of 1715 fleet
B. Cordova's 1605 fleet
Don....
What was special about the Manila Galleons that everyone thinks they are the big prize of wrecks? They were larger and much more cargo aboard but wasn't most of the cargo unsalvageable merchandise from the Orient like silk, porcelain, and other commodities? Porcelain might be salvageable depending on condition.

Acapulco to Manila: loaded in silver pesos for trade with Orient
Manila to Acapulco: unsalvageable merchandise & sometimes gold

Of course I have not inspected the manifests of any Manila Galleons and am a novice in maritime treasure research. I would be grateful if some of the experts here could chime in and educate me. 😅

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Check this thread for the 1605 fleet.
Interesting read and we are back at square one - Serranilla, possibility of British salvaging the wrecks in 1690, Pedro Bank, Misteriosa Bank, Swan Island (Zacarias), deep water and even as far east as the west Bahamas.

Interesting discussion though, not that I had any particular interest in pursuing these wrecks but I love to research and learn and I know one thing, whatever I pursue will be something obscure and mostly unheard of. If there are pages of discussion on the internet written about a certain wreck or long threads about it its a signal to me to leave it be.

Best to stay off the radar and off the toes of others who might be in pursuit.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manila Galleons
900 to 1000 tons prior to 1700.
E to W
Tons of P of 8 which may not be a major treasure due to the fact of number previously recovered. No Mel Fisher price enhancement.
W to E
To my knowledge all religious gold artifacts recovered in the Caribbean were made in Manila by Chinese gold smiths. However in about 1625-1630 Spanish were worried about the number in Manila so they slaughtered about 25,000 of them. Therefore I believe that MG's prior to 1630 would be worth finding.
Porcelain could be of some value however the issue is that about 200,000 pieces of Ming, Ching or similar pieces have already been found and auctioned off, thereby reducing value substantially.

I would be attracted to a W to E galleon prior to 1630.
Just my opinions after 4 years of research into MG's.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Manila Galleons
900 to 1000 tons prior to 1700.
E to W
Tons of P of 8 which may not be a major treasure due to the fact of number previously recovered. No Mel Fisher price enhancement.
W to E
To my knowledge all religious gold artifacts recovered in the Caribbean were made in Manila by Chinese gold smiths. However in about 1625-1630 Spanish were worried about the number in Manila so they slaughtered about 25,000 of them. Therefore I believe that MG's prior to 1630 would be worth finding.
Porcelain could be of some value however the issue is that about 200,000 pieces of Ming, Ching or similar pieces have already been found and auctioned off, thereby reducing value substantially.

There is glut of porcelain. And cooling economy and real estate
collapse in China tightened the purse strings of a large customer base with disposable incomes. So value is not as high as the mid 80's. Beautifully made and I appreciate the craftsmanship but that are unpractical dust collectors in a modern world.

If I was to guess your reasoning?

Mg brought porcelain, silk, ivory, spices, and myriad other exotic goods from China to Mexico in exchange for New World silver. (It is estimated that as much as one-third of the silver mined in New Spain and Peru went to the Far East.) But a lots of such trade items such as ivory have today trouble being sold due to restrictions exporting ivory and other items of luxury good are perishable.

Chinese manufactured jewelry prior to 1630 is much rarer than central American manufactured jewelry after 1630. Pre 1630 jewelry commands higher prices than later colonial Spanish jewelry often made in central America.

And Chinese manufactured jewelry prior to 1630 have been commanding higher prices.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

And some silver shipped around might a high quality silver? 1649 The Great Potosí Mint Fraud of 1649 was a financial fraud involving the fineness of silver coinage that began in Potosí, Bolivia. The scandal had worldwide effects that lasted for decades. Most of crude coinage was worth melt value. So Manila galleons going to Philippines was not as valuable as one thinks?

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread