Home Library - Suggested References

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a month or so I'll be converting a room into a home library and I would like to create a special section of Florida reference materials regarding early explorations, pre-1800's east coast shipwrecks, early Indian and European contact, Spanish influences, etc. With this in mind I'm trying to make a list of quality reference materials for this section. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!..........................Scoop

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
check out the Daniel Sedwick auction#8 coming up. He has several great books that I think you would be interested in. Good luck. :read2:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also like to find some good publications in regards to Menendez and his activities and his perspective on the land and it's challenges while he was at St. Augustines. If such a publication exist? I just find that entire period fascinating.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've really enjoyed "Shipwrecks Of Florida: A Comprehensive Listing". I don't know how much value it is to the pros, but it definitely is comprehensive in terms of overall breadth, but it doesn't drill down deep into the data. I posted a review of it at Amazon, which is on that link.

bigscoop said:
I'd also like to find some good publications in regards to Menendez and his activities and his perspective on the land and it's challenges while he was at St. Augustines. If such a publication exist? I just find that entire period fascinating.

As far as St. Augustine, I'm a St. Aug native and grew up around all that stuff- I'd suggest contacting these dudes, asking a detailed, pointed question about the information you want and see what they have in their archives. If the information you're after hasn't been lost to history, they will probably have it, or at least be able to direct you to the people who will.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read "Then Enterprise of Florida" by Dr. Lyon and get a copy of "Fontenada's Memoirs".

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
bigscoop, Don't forget to read " The Rainbow Chasers " by Tommy Gore as told to Terry Armstrong. Great Reading.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey old man:
Thanks for the plug! But, we sold em all. Kellyco has some, I think.

ps. Dr. Lyon's book is "The Enterprise of Florida" not "Then Enterprise of Florida". Ooops.

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
not about shipwrecks so much but this was interesting..

"A Land so Strange" by Andres Resendez "The Extraordinary Tale of A Shipwrecked Spaniard Who Walked Across America in the Sixteenth Century"

I usually check amazon first --

Daedalus Books Online and Alibris are good sites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions