Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The vessel, Stanvenisse, was lost in 1686 having run aground about 70 miles south of Natal. The ship's cargo was primarily homeward bound pepper. 11 drowned attempting to gain the shore; 60 survivived. It was two years before most of the initial survivors were reunited with their countrymen. The crew did save the nautical instruments. Of interest is the fact the ship's nails were used as 'money' with the natives--till the natives found plenty of nails in the remains of the wreck that came ashore further along the coastline.

Source: page 222 here: http://books.google.com/books?id=eR...&resnum=1&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Keep 'em comin' Cornelis, I enjoy the hunt.
Don.......

OP
OP
cornelis 816

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks Don . I am trying to stear this post a little more toward shipwrecks and diving as it says on top of this post . Cornelius

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cornelis:
I've always enjoyed your posts. I only wish I could get to some of the places you have mentioned. By the way, did you note in my source the reference to another shipwreck in Natal; and the fact that survivors from both wrecks joined up to eventually make it to safety?
Don..

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
If you line up using the Telkom tower 150 yards offshore between the rocks running parallel to the shore...there lie the cannons not many left, there is an ivory wreck close by. Memories of Natal....nice Cornelius thanks for the post Mackaydon, all the best

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldGold1974 said:
...there is an ivory wreck close by.
Now there's some history.

Top Member Reactions