Volume I of Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks now available

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FLORIDA SHIPWRECKS
VOLUME I: ATLANTIC COAST

sample%20front%20cover.jpg
sample%20back%20cover.jpg

Volume I of the Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks is the most detailed, comprehensive, and accurate inventory of shipwreck events and artificial reef sites for Florida's Atlantic coast. This volume, spanning almost 320 pages, includes more than 1,300 indexed entries for Atlantic coast shipwrecks and artificial reefs, 330 archival and underwater images, and 1,000 Atlantic coast shipwreck coordinates. As a result, this book is an invaluable resource to divers, fishermen, and historians.

sample%20book%20pages.jpg

ISBN: 978-0-9743036-1-1
8.5 x 11 inch format, 318 pages, perfect bound.

RETAIL PRICE: $29.95

Available from Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, or direct from the author via the AUE website.

Order Volume I of the Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks between now and December 1 direct from the AUE website (AUE: ASSOCIATION OF UNDERWATER EXPLORERS) and receive a copy of the 2003 book Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State for free! The first batch of orders should be shipped out at the end of the month.

Cheers,
Mike

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike, I am looking forward to a copy of this book.

There are a few unknown wrecks that I am currently investigating that hopefully you can use in an future, updated version of this book.

Regards, Tom

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
I have gotten reports of several errors when hitting the Paypal link. This appears to have been an issue with IE and the frames format of the AUE website. I think I have a fix around it now that seems to be working. If you still have issues getting to the Paypal link, you can try going right from the target page: http://uwex.us/AUEfall10.htm
Feel free to PM me if you would rather pay by check or money order, or for wholesale pricing...
Cheers,
Mike

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
mad4wrecks said:
Mike, I am looking forward to a copy of this book.

There are a few unknown wrecks that I am currently investigating that hopefully you can use in an future, updated version of this book.

Regards, Tom

Tom-
Please shoot me your mailing address and I will get you a copy as thanks for your assistance with some of the entries. I definitely look forward to hearing about any future discoveries!
Cheers,
Mike

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Congratulations :icon_thumleft: Looks like another great book by a TNetter. :read2: Is it possible to get an autographed copy?

Black Bart :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
fladiverdown said:
Congratulations :icon_thumleft: Looks like another great book by a TNetter. :read2: Is it possible to get an autographed copy?

While it would likely devalue the book (LOL), I would be happy to autograph it. Just add that request in the "additional instructions to seller" box in Paypal.
Cheers,
Mike

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
barney said:
fladiverdown said:

While it would likely devalue the book (LOL), I would be happy to autograph it. Just add that request in the "additional instructions to seller" box in Paypal.
Cheers,
Mike
Done. Thanks :hello2:

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My copy of Volume I of Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks by Michael Barnette arrived in the mail yesterday.

This is an extremely well written, well researched book, with extensive details and photographs of Florida's Atlantic coast shipwrecks. There are coordinates for many of the wrecks.

This is a definitely "must have" for your shipwreck library. Thanks again Mike for my signed copy and for listing me in the Acknowledgements.

Best Regards, Tom

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barney,

Why would you list loran cords in a new book?Obama had the last loran station shut down last year.Lorans are now obsolete.If you still own a loran,all its good for is a boat anchor or a door stop.

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
FISHEYE said:
Barney,

Why would you list loran cords in a new book?Obama had the last loran station shut down last year.Lorans are now obsolete.If you still own a loran,all its good for is a boat anchor or a door stop.

I disagree. If that's the original source position information, and I don't have a confirmed GPS position for it, I cite the original LORAN. Why? Because many people have preferred conversion programs with confirmed offsets that are likely way more accurate than the conversion I can provide.
While it's dead, not including that information (absent of more accurate information) would just be inappropriate IMHO. In some instances, pulling a DR off a chart with TD intersects is more accurate than some of the conversion programs for some areas of the state.
Also, right or wrong, LORAN has been on the chopping block for almost 20 years.
Cheers,
Mike

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
Barney,

I can convert any old loran number out of sebastian/vero/canaveral with very good accuracy based on my old calibration database, provided it was a valid loran number to begin with. We found the firefox using my method producing a converted loran number in early summer 2010, and when we found it there was only 1 foot relief with one of the motor heads above sand, and that was pretty much it!

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the book is incredible. Can't wait to go check some of the spots out now with the added knowledge of the wrecks history and demise!!!

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Thanks for the kind words Steve!
Cheers,
Mike

inletsurf said:
I think the book is incredible. Can't wait to go check some of the spots out now with the added knowledge of the wrecks history and demise!!!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
Barney,

.................and Obama is to blame for me getting old.

Mike is right, Loran has been on the road to obsolescence for at least that long. As a former skipper, I would like to forget all the times that Loran has quit working in a storm due to signal interference from lightning, just when you need it the most. Not only that, but the geometry wasn't always that good for accurate positioning.

Good GPS (for a few hundred bucks) will get you within 10 feet or so, and two frequency differential will get you within inches. Who as a taxpayer would want to continue the old Loran system when no one needs it any more?

What other electronic box do you have that is 30 years old that is still relevant? I still keep my Loran box to convert TDs to Lat/Lon, but I suspect that you can find a web site that does it if need be.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
FISHEYE said:
I still keep my Loran box to convert TDs to Lat/Lon, but I suspect that you can find a web site that does it if need be.

That does nothing for you, as the old loran unit's conversion is worthless without a true loran signal. You need to curve fit ASF's into predefined calibration numbers that rectify these TD signals with ASF factors to true simultaneous GPS-Loran readings.

www.andren.com software has this process nailed, I find it very reliable. How well conversions occur depends on geographical location, for instance, the keys area has poor signal orthogonality hence loran was difficult to use in this area when it was operational. Loran positions in these locations would have lower accuracy, so you would expect a conversion to be more difficult here. Sebastian chains have great orthogonality, and because of this my conversions have been great.

Furuno and northstar make GPS units with built-in loran conversion algorithms that apparently have been tweaked with additional ASF corrections, as I have heard many swear the conversions from these units are very good.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
inletsurf said:
Bum Luck said:
FISHEYE said:
I still keep my Loran box to convert TDs to Lat/Lon, but I suspect that you can find a web site that does it if need be.

That does nothing for you, as the old loran unit's conversion is worthless without a true loran signal. You need to curve fit ASF's into predefined calibration numbers that rectify these TD signals with ASF factors to true simultaneous GPS-Loran readings.

www.andren.com software has this process nailed, I find it very reliable. How well conversions occur depends on geographical location, for instance, the keys area has poor signal orthogonality hence loran was difficult to use in this area when it was operational. Loran positions in these locations would have lower accuracy, so you would expect a conversion to be more difficult here. Sebastian chains have great orthogonality, and because of this my conversions have been great.

Furuno and northstar make GPS units with built-in loran conversion algorithms that apparently have been tweaked with additional ASF corrections, as I have heard many swear the conversions from these units are very good.

I have the Furuno unit. It was clearly superior, but you are correct about the keys. Poor geometry means poor positioning accuracy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread