the Jupiter wreck

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
I did some tests in a flooded sandbox . I had a waterstream flowing in through the center ( the river ) and a threw a bunch of nickles in the sand , on one side of the river and the other side of the river . With the river on the left side I created another flow of water from the bottom side of the sandbox ( from the left ) . This flow was the stand in for the gulfstream . With different flows I noticed a couple of things . The coins laying in the gulf stream ( to the left of the river ) started tumbling and getting closer to the river . The coins on the other side of the river also started tumbling when I created a storm surge coming in from the other side of the river . What I noticed also is that no coins were moved across the river . What made the coins tumble ? Well if the coin was just a little higher on the side from where the gulfstream was flowing the current would push the coin up and over . If the coin then was falling over on the other side and was not pointing in the gulfstream but ketting the gulfstream flow over it , the coin would act like the wing of an airplane . I mean , the flow would create a lower pressure on the top of the coin than on the bottom side resting on the sand . This again would make the coin tumble in the direction of the river . Now you can say that storms would have a lot of influence also but the storms are far in between while the current in the Strait is there all the time having a greater impact on the position of the coin . Now why did I do these tests ? Well , and correct me if I am wrong , most of the coins were found South of the river ( the river at Jupiter wreck ) . My concusion therefor is that a wreck does exist to the South East of the Jupiter lighthouse . I think that one should look quite a few miles to seaward . Don't let yourself be thrown off by existing ( possible ) shipwreck more or less known . Cornelius

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Hi Cornelius,

Thanks for your interest in the Jupiter Shipwreck.

Below are two postings you should take a look at.
One is a artist rendition of the first 3 years of artifact finds.

This is an extremely accurate drawing as each major artifact
position was shot by registered land surveyors with twin laser
theodolites. I was holding one of the poles with the prisms. My daughter
did the art work.

The second is the known scatter pattern of shipwreck related artifacts
reported discovered by us {JWI} to about mid 2006. As you look at these
photos you will see that there was some sort of massive impact on a reef
step - causing the upper main deck of the vessel to shear at probably the cannon ports
and them pitch pole on to the then existing sand bar that was extending off of
the south end of the river estuary. Although there are a hell of a lot more than
just coins here - there is a surprising lack of mundane items that are normally
associated with a primary shipwreck impact site.

"Just Where is the Rest of the Jupiter Shipwreck?"

I have my opinion but its going to cost about $150,000.00 to
$250,000.00 more hard dollars to find out if I am right.

Attachments

• compressed old scattered pattern.JPG
    compressed old scattered pattern.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 530
  • Scatter Pattern.jpg
    Scatter Pattern.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 502
  • compressed old scattered pattern.JPG
    compressed old scattered pattern.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 510
  • Scatter Pattern.jpg
    Scatter Pattern.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 492
OP
OP
cornelis 816

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Capt Dom . Looking at the cannon found I can see that the larger part of the wreck was floating to the North West . Part of the wreck was floating to the West . Anchors and cannon point to the fact that just the toppart of the wreck floated free ( as you also suggested ) . The bottom part of the wreck was lost further out to sea . I firmly believe in the deep water theory . Gold and heavier cargo would have setteled quite a few miles away from the spot where the coins were found . The anchors and cannon may one think to believe that the greater part of the wreck was closer to the shore . There was ofcourse a substancial part of the wreck that was washed onto the shore ( or close to it ) . Taking the wave action in consideration ( during a heavy storm ) the main hulk would have hit bottom quite a way out . As you suggested the top part of the hull sheared off and was deposited ( being a lot lighter ) closer inshore . On this top part were cannon and anchors . They floated ashore on the heavy pieces of timber . This top section however was not a strong piece . It also broke up in smaller parts . The result of this is that the cannon were laying in a direction from North East and East toward the shore . Some of the heavier object could have travelled on this top section in the same direction as the cannon . The main part of the cargo ( gold in the sterncastle and silver in the main hold ) can be found in a line goung from the lighthouse toward the Southeast . I wished I had a good maritime map to have a closer look at the area . Remember one thing though , coins will tumble and travel with the current while gold bars will dig in . Cornelius

OP
OP
cornelis 816

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
To give a little proof of what I am stating . We all know the story of Kip Wagner . Well he found the coins first on the beach . After that he got interested in the wrecks . Another proof of the fact that coins do walk !!!! Cornelius

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread