Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
FYI: I believe the area off Chucks Steakhouse is leased.

I Posted here a while back that the St. Sebastian River was to be dredged in April of this year for the first time. I even posted where they would dump the muck. There is no telling what can be found there. Does anyone know if the dredging has started?

Peglegged, would love to see pics.

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if the area known as Chucks Steakhouse is still under a search lease or not. However, the Mel Fisher organization did obtain a search lease a few years back. The lease area was rather large, running from Chucks to the north almost to the NASA tracking station located just south of Melbourne Beach.
Last year, another group (Amelia Research), also had a search lease just north of the Fisher lease, starting at about the NASA tracking station. They made several finds at this location last season, but have failed to yet locate the wreck itself. I am sure that as soon as they find the ballast pile they will upgrade that lease to a recovery permit.
So it would appear that the search for the remaining 1715 wrecks is slowly moving northward up the coast. I also understand that a company known as Hartland Treasure Quest was attempting to get a permit off the coast of Melbourne Beach all the way up to Cocoa Beach.

May 11, 2006
Slidell, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
I am planning to take a few vacation days in June and head down to the Wabasso Beach area to do some detecting. I will be heading there from Louisiana.

I have a White's MXT and was wondering if the stock coil will suffice or if there is another coil which might improve my odds a bit? I know that the odds of finding something will be slim without a storm first blowing through the area, however, a few days of leisurely walking up and down the beach will be good therapy. ;D

Also, what time of day will low tide be through June? Where can I look to get tide information for that area?

I appreciate all the info that many of you impart on those of us who are neophytes. It makes for very interesting reading.

Thanks, Scott

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Admiralty Holding Company Signs Agreement With Gold Hound
Tuesday July 18, 8:30 am ET

DOUGLASVILLE, GA--(MARKET WIRE)--Jul 18, 2006 -- Admiralty Holding Company (OTC BB:ADMH.OB - News). Admiralty Corporation announced today that it has signed a Letter of Agreement with Gold Hound, Inc. concerning a potential shipwreck site which lies off the east coast of Florida. Gold Hound has extensive experience searching for shipwrecks and recovering treasure. Based on three years of detailed survey work and extensive research, Gold Hound personnel feel that they have discovered remains of the Senora de la Regla, the "Capitana" of the 1715 Fleet. Gold Hound personnel have discovered ballast and other artifacts that indicate the presence of an old shipwreck.

Admiralty is working with Gold Hound to discover and recover treasure within this area. The information collected by Gold Hound, combined with the excavation capabilities of Admiralty's ship, the R/V New World Legacy, creates a "win-win" situation for both companies. Admiralty CEO, G. Howard Collingwood, stated that, "Working with Gold Hound gives us a tremendous advantage compared with doing all of the survey work and research from the beginning. We expect that their knowledge of the area and their expertise combined with our technology and our expertise will cut months from the time needed to complete the examination of this area."

Gold Hound personnel feel that a significant quantity of silver coins will be recovered at the wreck site. Already a trail of ballast stones is being followed. The ballast stones are covered with four to eight feet of sand and the Regla was moving erratically as it was being battered by the hurricane that caused it to sink. Therefore, the debris trail is not in a straight line and the trail of ballast stones and other debris must be carefully mapped in order to locate artifacts that might have fallen from the hull of the ship as its bottom disintegrated.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow, this is great, the Nuestra Senora De La Regla from the 1715 fleet has been found! Except that National Geographic scooped them by reporting the story way back in 1965! ;D

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gdaddyflex,
whats interesting is HRD's E-110 an E-132 halfway surrounds corrigans towards the reef:)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From what I read, Admiralty Corp. never ceases to amaze me. ;) :D

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
The past two seasons have been poor in the water. More was found on beaches after the hurricanes that ate down the dunes by several feet. In the three days after Hurricane Frances, coins and jewelry valued at $500,000 were recovered by people with metal detectors.
"But they've been pumping and dumping sand on the beaches all year long, so for treasure hunters, I think this year is going to be bleak," said Mitch King, vice president of the Treasure Coast Archeological Society. "They'll have to search through new sand that's 10 feet deep and 50 feet wide in places."

Is it just the tourist area beaches that received new sand or every inch of beach on the Treasure Coast? How about the area between S. Melbourne Beach and Sebastian Inlet, that hardly has any public beaches? Anybody been out there lately?

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
"I have been told by some of the experts that there were NO Reale 4,s made in 1722 and these coins are COBBED. This is also my concern because they have a Mint Mark of having been minted in Madrid. Why would Madrid make a Silver Cob coin and send it back to the New World."

Ok, what does "cobbed" mean? I have seen this expression used several times on this board, but have no idea what it means. Thanks, SS

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cob is shortened Spanish for "cabo de barro". End of the bar, I think. They cut off a chunk of silver, off the end of the bar of silver and trimmed it to weigh right then, pounded it between 2 molds. Cob- short for cabo, cab. They also would cut off pieces of an 8 reale to either make change, pay a smaller amount, or take some off and save it, called "clipping". These are sometimes easy to see. After about 1715 they started making round money reales, not cobs, possibly still making them cob style in the New World though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread