1715 Fleet Research Material

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That information is available for free, if you know where to find it. I would think there would be some kind of copyright protection, to keep someone from making a profit off someone else's work.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is material that someone(s) took the time to translate and compile (no easy task) and then made available as research material.

My feelings are it is wrong for someone else to simply photocopy, add a fancy cover and sell for a profit.

OP
OP
D

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
Its historical research...the description clearly states who the authors/translaters are (who did the work) and no one is trying to pass it off as there own work. I just thought is was neat and wanted to pass it along, heck I spent more money on the newest Clive Cussler book. Winter's coming and I'm always packing away reading material to read by the fireplace.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If I can figure out a way to do it, I will put those same documents online so they are available to everyone-for free.

In fact, maybe Marc Austin can help me figure out how to put them here on TNET?

Tom

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Tom,

I am pretty sure that the translations would be protected by copyright, even if the original materials are not. The dilemna is that if you publish them, you will be breaking the copyright rules, even if you are doing it for the best of reasons, and not seeking to profit from it, unless you have the permission of the translators to do so.

I can't make out whether this is a one-off collection of the documents put together with a cover, or whether it is a book published on a limited scale. It is also not certain that whoever published it did not have permission of the translators.

Mariner

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This same info is in Laura Strolia's book: The Marigalera of the 1715 fleet. If there are publishing rules...I don't think she would have put them in her book.

Dennis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
basically it seems this is the copy of the "book" of the original 1715 fleet research paid for by the reale eight group ---(kip wagner and dr. kelso - was sent mircofilm copies from the spanihj archives-which they spent a year translating -- other folks took part in doing the translations as well)

over time (mel fishers group) --mel's family got control of the research papers --- taffi was kind enought to provide me with a my personal copy of it some time ago -- after I saw another persons copy and pointed out several possible "errors" in translation while studying it -- in return for advising taffi of the possible translation errors -- she gave me a full "copy" set of the research materials for me to enjoy at my leisure.--- I often break it out and read and reread it - looking for lil tidbits of info that "pop" upon a fresh reading.

with the fisher family selling off the "rights" to the 1715 fleet to others recently -- i would think that the "1715 fleet research materials" and current publishing rights to them would have been included in the sale to the new owners most likely -- but maybe not. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :read2:

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mel had little or nothing to do with this original research nor was he ever a part of the Real Eight Co. Mel's company at the time was Universal Salvage and they had an agreement with Real Eight to salvage some of the wrecks.

Jack Haskins did most of the translations. Bob Marx (who was director of reaseach for Real Eight in 1968) did some as well as his wife (at that time), Nancy Farris. I think a National Park Service guy (Luis Arana?) did some translations and Lou Ullian, Kip Wagner and Kip Kelso of Real Eight may have contributed as well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mad 4 for wrecks --i corrected my post * -- the fisher group had control of the "research papers" later on it seems , but they did not "fund" the original project ---reale eight diid -- mel fisher of course in the beginning WORKED for reale eight .

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
260.00 for this book with shipping.....wish i had the cahonis to do something like this...I would end up getting busted!

Dennis

OP
OP
D

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
Dennis...busted for what? I was thinking about bidding but too rich for my blood. I did contact the seller and he said he had permission, turns out he used to live in Melbourne and used to deliver Bob Marx's Christmas tree every year. I also spoke to Jack Haskins over the weekend, and the guy wasn't lying...Jack was well aware of the auction and he had Jack's blessing to sell the material.

Bill

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In that case, I will sell the exact same material, plus other 1715 information not included in that collection, for $150.00 (includes shipping)

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks said:
In that case, I will sell the exact same material, plus other 1715 information not included in that collection, for $150.00 (includes shipping)

You should, there's obviously a market for it after seeing that auction!

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
It just seems to me that the "grey area" this infringes on is a little tainted. I'm not knocking someones enterprise, I'm just saying, that if the information is accessible for FREE, then it goes to the heart of a disclaimer of some sort or another. We know, everyone wants to find Treasure, but I think there is a self awareness here that to "look in the mirror," one should rely on ethical lines and ask themselves, "am I just selling this to the uneducated public at large?"

Reef Dawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread