Diving Doc

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Sam,

Always good to hear from you. I have already sent Jim a message using the e-mail that Cornelius provided, but Skype sure adds a dimension to communication, doesn't it. I'll be thinking of you next week, when I am going to be in Northern Manitoba, Canada. Forecast is for - 40 degrees Centigrade. For sun lovers like you Down Under, with Summer well on its way, it will probably be +40 Centigrade, or something like it.

G'Day.

Mariner

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been cooler than normal so far about 26c with lots of rain, they are warning us about cyclone's this year ( Hurricanes )
hopping it may expose a Manila Galleon on Morton Island.
all the best !
Ossy

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Ossy,

I have just had a quick scan of info on the Internet about Morton Island and potential shipwrecks. If there is a Manila Galleon there, what period do you think it might be from?

Mariner

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Maybe Doc could do a HALO jump over the site with his speedo and platinum dive card tucked away he is sure to know about this wreck already just wanted you guys to verify it is one and the same before becoming the head of ops on a Galleon again....good luck

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:
Ossy,

I have just had a quick scan of info on the Internet about Morton Island and potential shipwrecks. If there is a Manila Galleon there, what period do you think it might be from?

Mariner
17th Century
Ossy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ossy why bother searching for a Spanish galleon? The minute you find one, Spain will claim it and you will not be able to see it anymore.

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Ossy,

It's like Pavlov and his dogs. Mention a Spanish wreck and you get the predictable reaction. The wreck of the San Felipe from 1576 has recently been found on the coast of Baja California, and artifacts from the site are on display at the San Diego Museum. Spain is fully aware of the non-profit recovery and is approving. Also, there is substantial work going on, with the knowledge and approval of Spain, to identify and find the remains of the Beewsax Manila Galleon at Nehalem, on the Oregon coast, again on a non-profit basis.

In neither case has Spain tried to claim the recovered artifacts. In my opinion, if somebody found a Manila Galleon and sought Spain's cooperation in its recovery, they would get that cooperation, even if the salvage was for profit, provided the recovery was to be carried out using proper archaeological techniques. I have had discussions on a couple of projects over the years with the dreaded Jim Goold, the attorney for Spain in the USA, and have always found him to be reasonable, if approached properly. He also represents the National Geographic Society, by the way, which is how I first met him.

Incidentally, I am pretty sure that a Manila Galleon would not be classified as a Sovereign Vessel. Virtually all the ships were owned by Spain, but most of the cargoes were privately owned, and the Manila-Acapulco trade was mostly commercial.

By the way, Ossy, your experience with Diving Doc has also been mine, and I have a lot of time for him and his knowledge. I thought it was unfortunate that he stopped participating in this forum, and I think that Odyssey used big bully tactics with him (using their investors' funds by the way) because he pointed out some problems with their approach on a couple of important projects. So far, it seems to me that what Doc said about those projects was true, or has so far not yet been shown to be untrue.

But back to the Manila Galleons. The 17th century started with the loss of the San Antonio in 1604, and finished with the loss of the San Cristo de Burgos in 1696. I cannot remember off the top of my head any losses in between, though there might have been some. I have some anecdotal evidence which suggests that the San Antonio might have wrecked on the coast of British Columbia, Canada, and there are some who think that the Nehalem wreck was the San Christo de Burgos, though I personally think it was probably the San Francis Xavier from 1705.

Do you have a view on which vessel wrecked on Morton Island?

Best wishes,

Mariner.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:
Ossy,

It's like Pavlov and his dogs. Mention a Spanish wreck and you get the predictable reaction. The wreck of the San Felipe from 1576 has recently been found on the coast of Baja California, and artifacts from the site are on display at the San Diego Museum. Spain is fully aware of the non-profit recovery and is approving. Also, there is substantial work going on, with the knowledge and approval of Spain, to identify and find the remains of the Beewsax Manila Galleon at Nehalem, on the Oregon coast, again on a non-profit basis.

In neither case has Spain tried to claim the recovered artifacts. In my opinion, if somebody found a Manila Galleon and sought Spain's cooperation in its recovery, they would get that cooperation, even if the salvage was for profit, provided the recovery was to be carried out using proper archaeological techniques. I have had discussions on a couple of projects over the years with the dreaded Jim Goold, the attorney for Spain in the USA, and have always found him to be reasonable, if approached properly. He also represents the National Geographic Society, by the way, which is how I first met him.

Incidentally, I am pretty sure that a Manila Galleon would not be classified as a Sovereign Vessel. Virtually all the ships were owned by Spain, but most of the cargoes were privately owned, and the Manila-Acapulco trade was mostly commercial.

By the way, Ossy, your experience with Diving Doc has also been mine, and I have a lot of time for him and his knowledge. I thought it was unfortunate that he stopped participating in this forum, and I think that Odyssey used big bully tactics with him (using their investors' funds by the way) because he pointed out some problems with their approach on a couple of important projects. So far, it seems to me that what Doc said about those projects was true, or has so far not yet been shown to be untrue.

But back to the Manila Galleons. The 17th century started with the loss of the San Antonio in 1604, and finished with the loss of the San Cristo de Burgos in 1696. I cannot remember off the top of my head any losses in between, though there might have been some. I have some anecdotal evidence which suggests that the San Antonio might have wrecked on the coast of British Columbia, Canada, and there are some who think that the Nehalem wreck was the San Christo de Burgos, though I personally think it was probably the San Francis Xavier from 1705.

Do you have a view on which vessel wrecked on Morton Island?

Best wishes,

Mariner.

Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise.

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Jeff,

When it comes to Odyssey, you have a personal agenda, so your opinion is of no importance or interest to me.

Mariner

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Its easy to be friends over the internet its a whole different can of worms to work with them, and then there are facts which cannot go away. Ossy good luck with your search its great to read about wrecks undiscovered or away from the Caribbean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread